Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

I Want Big Sam Back

TroySwoosh

Why would allardyce swop at premiership bound club for a championship bound one?

West Ham is a more difficult job than Bolton.Mid table in the Premier League playing long ball football wouldn't be enough to satisfy many of their supporters.

Mid table with Bolton and it's better than anyone else for 50 years.

• Moderators

Allardyce was offered the job when Megson left and didn't want it according to Gartside. That suggests that Gartside would be willing to work with him but that Allardyce may not feel the same way.

When did gartside say this? And wasn't fat Sam at Blackburn? Not having that one at all

When did gartside say this? And wasn't fat Sam at Blackburn? Not having that one at all

He said it in a radio interview when he was asked about working with Allardyce again. He also repeated it in a newspaper article: http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2011/04/17/phil-gartside-coyle-saved-me-from-my-bolton-nightmare-102039-23065903/

He said: ?I have never admitted this before but I thought about Sam, despite all that was said when he left.

?I sat down with the owner Eddie Davies and chief executive Alan Duckworth but they said: ?No, we don?t want to go back to that.?

?I still put a feeler out but the answer was a negative.?

Do folk really think we were three players short of champions league football and we could've made the next level?

Gartside out then is it?

The trouble is there's no point people talking about "the next level" without some means to build within it and guarantee you stay there. No way on God's earth could we finance that. Of course we almost got there - after all, we lost 3-2 at Everton in the 2004-05 season to a very late Everton 3rd. If we'd have held on for a draw and that was the only change to whole of the rest of everyone's PL season, then we'd have qualified on goal difference. But what then? Probably done an Everton and lost in the qualifying round. And even if we did manage to get back later, much the same would have happened - and once Spurs got their act together, Citeh got their money and Liverpool started to sort themselves out, all dreams of CL would have faded - whatever the limited resources we threw at it.

For me the real question is whether if - after 11 years of PL tv money, fair success in terms of prize money for final table positions, crowds that are really only marginally lower than we could really expect etc - we're still financially fucked, then it's never going to change. If those 11 seasons haven't done anything for us financially, why would the next 11?

In which case we might as well fucking go down :pardon:

Allardyce was offered the job when Megson left and didn't want it according to Gartside. That suggests that Gartside would be willing to work with him but that Allardyce may not feel the same way.

Brilliant. Why let facts get in the way of making a point. :rofl: