Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Record Shops

Around 1970 when I first started buying LPs I used to mainly get them from a shop on the street where Tognarelli's was (can't remember the name of the street). Also there was one on Deansgate (opposite where the Hippodrome used to be) and another in Churchgate which may have also been a musical instrument shop. Plus there was one in the Arndale in Walkden - I remember buying Velvet Underground & Nico from there. Can anyone help me out with the names of any of these shops? I've forgotten the lot of them.

Churchgate - Booths Music (on Prestons side).

- Harker and Howarth (on Man and Scythe side).

Both sold instruments - Booths was more 'rock 'n' roll', H+H more 'classical'.

Probably sold records as a vestige of when the 'charts' were made up of the most popular sheet music.

Older posters may remember where Russell's basement cafe is now was a record shop.

I (just about) remember Edwynn P Lees on corner of Great Moor Street/Newport Street.

X-Records used to be down near the Alma.

Graduated to getting the 25 or 36 to Manchester when I was about 13 - we were sick of thumbing through the same LPs week-in, week-out in Bolton.

Vinyl Exchange, Powercuts, Piccadilly Records, Eastern Bloc, a few dodgy basement establishments that didn't have names and the one in Shambles Square (Rhythm something or other?) - good times, vinyl was more important than food. If it wasn't for 'wheelz' crisp (onion and vinegar or mexican spice) we'd have starved when schlepping round Manchester looking for records.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

Wasn't Tognarellis an Italian ice cream parlour? Where the Sandwich Inn was/is on Churchgate? A relative once told me they had a rooftop terrace garden round the back (they lived above the cafe/parlour) and it had peach and lemon trees etc. - a slice of Italy in Bolton Town Centre.

Then again the same relative used to swear the Americans were building a massive breakwater, to cut off the N.Atlantic drift and make a tropical paradise out of the East Coast/New York.

And some other gibberish about remembering watching 'clog-feets' as a kid - with loads of people watching and betting on them.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

http://www.geolocation.ws/v/I/5596597694158376145-5596597845962410658/edwin-p-lees-bolton/en

iirc Edwin P Lees was a bogstandard electrical shop that sold a few records in a basement , but for some odd reason they started selling the original picture sleeve punk singles. (this was while punk was still highly unpopular & vilified in the press )

A good number of records that became collector's items went from Lees. I've still got an original of "In the City" by The Jam ,from Lees, but missed out on the original " Spiral Scratch " by The Buzzcocks which became much sought after & of which, a lot were supposed to have gone from Lees.

Correct, Togs was over the top of Burton's. The Churchgate one was Sabini's.

As for record shops, don't forget The Plastic Spin on Blackburn Road, Astley Bridge. Marvellous!

Edited by Zulu

• Members

Correct, Togs was over the top of Burton's. The Churchgate one was Sabini's.

As for record shops, don't forget The Plastic Spin on Blackburn Road, Astley Bridge. Marvellous!

How many Modettes did we try to sweet talk whilst they were slurping ice cream in there V? :D

Other ones swigging hot Vimto in Sabinis in winter. Innocent days eh (apart from our motives). These days they'd be off their tits on eccys or skag and be painted orange.

Trying to remember the name of the record shop close to Victoria Station in Manc too? Regular haunt of some of Boltons finest rare soul collectors - used to regularly bump into various ones in there.

How many Modettes did we try to sweet talk whilst they were slurping ice cream in there V? :D

Other ones swigging hot Vimto in Sabinis in winter. Innocent days eh (apart from our motives). These days they'd be off their tits on eccys or skag and be painted orange.

Trying to remember the name of the record shop close to Victoria Station in Manc too? Regular haunt of some of Boltons finest rare soul collectors - used to regularly bump into various ones in there.

Those Modettes will be grannys now P! :air_kiss:

Frightening.

I remember that record shop near Victoria Station too. Buggered if I can remember its name though.

• Members

Those Modettes will be grannys now P! :air_kiss:

Frightening.

In most cases, yes but - some of them have kept very well mate and you can't beat a good looking mature. They've heard it all before and nowt shocks em.

Two of em we used to chase are living here in Perth and, believe me, you still would ;)

I seem to remember a large record shop on Bolton precinct - close to where you cut through to the Arndale.Early to mid 70's iirc.

I remember mid 70's going downstairs in Derek Guests record shop and ordering obscure(ish) soul stuff, then you had to wait about a fortnite for it to arrive - it would have been where Russells Bistro is now (corner of Corporation St and Knowlsey St)Russell is Derek Guests son.

• Members

I seem to remember a large record shop on Bolton precinct - close to where you cut through to the Arndale.Early to mid 70's iirc.

I remember mid 70's going downstairs in Derek Guests record shop and ordering obscure(ish) soul stuff, then you had to wait about a fortnite for it to arrive - it would have been where Russells Bistro is now (corner of Corporation St and Knowlsey St)Russell is Derek Guests son.

Spot on with Guests. Did I imagine Derek DJing at the Palais? Sure he used to give 'Wade In The Water' and 'Groovin with Mr. Bloe' a good thrashing on a Sunday night?

And Russell's brother Jeremy owns/owned Retreat on CNR.

X Records for me. manny road end of Brashawgate.Wasted a fortune i did.

It's on the same block as Talibs now.

Not only can you buy old tapes, records and compact discs, but also a fine selection of cult movie memorabilia. Ever fancied a replica of the Predator sitting on your mantlepiece or an Action Man sized doll of Pin-Head? Well, you now know where to go if you have.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.