Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

This Weather.....

gonzo

• Site Supporter
Just now, stevieb said:

It's a scorcher.... Here's some tits. 

Simpler times. Now it's all doom mongering that the earth is about to boil itself to death. 

It's been 36 hours. We've barely broke 30 degrees and it's FUCKING JUNE. 

Anyway I'm fuming as by 5pm sun had gone in and the Mrs was dead with hay-fever scuppering my plans for sunny sunny pints in Lucianos beer garden. 

At least you can stay in and watch love Island, every cloud and all that.

9 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Fucking roasting already. Got a wedding tomorrow in central london tomorrow. Not looking forward to wearing a three piece suit!

8 hours ago, Sweep said:

I'm at a wedding tomorrow as well, full suit required apparently - fortunately it'll all be over by 1pm, so I'm assuming I can then ditch the tie and jacket, and it's at the local cricket club, so plenty of outside space and cheap ale 

Only highs of 23 tomorrow, so should be fine (crosses fingers).

I was at a wedding in Tuscany last weekend - 34C and no relaxing of the jacket and tie dresscode! The reception by the pool (limited shade) was quite a challenge. I drank through it.

8 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Christ - I've just gone on the website. Better clean the shoes.

image.png.d9a7d395f37e62d4c9beba96d3a65b4e.png

It’s really nice in there. Definitely get the polish out. A couple of my close mates are members so I go fairly regularly (jacket and tie obligatory). Last time I was there I saw Chuka Umunna wandering the halls.

There have a lovely wedding space, really old school and grand. Hopefully you’ll have drinks on the terrace, which is beautiful on a sunny day. The club claret is a nice tipple for a house wine.

11 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Christ - I've just gone on the website. Better clean the shoes.

image.png.d9a7d395f37e62d4c9beba96d3a65b4e.png

Ha. My dad was a “member” there in the 50s. Had an office on the embankment so it was his go to place for business deals. That was where he went after the 58 FA Cup final to celebrate. Moved back to Bolton in 63. I went for an interview in London in 86 after leaving uni. He came with me. Took me there for a look round and a drink before the train home. Gave his name. No questions asked. Straight in. I just have to have a go next time I’m down there 

11 hours ago, Jol_BWFC said:

It’s really nice in there. Definitely get the polish out. A couple of my close mates are members so I go fairly regularly (jacket and tie obligatory). Last time I was there I saw Chuka Umunna wandering the halls.

There have a lovely wedding space, really old school and grand. Hopefully you’ll have drinks on the terrace, which is beautiful on a sunny day. The club claret is a nice tipple for a house wine.

It seems post wedding drinks and pre wedding breakfast are on the terrace so looks good.

It's actually not that pricey to join £789 a year which for the location is very good. Much less than twatty clubs like the Garrick (one of my partners is a member, never really liked it when I've gone) but still old school enough unlike Soho House (we've got company membership to that as it's decent for meetings as we don't have an office) 

Anyway, looking forward to it, was designed by the fella who did Manchester Town Hall and the national history museum. Its also my second 'Downtown' wedding after one that was actually at Highclear, so looking forward to having a wander round!

8 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Ha. My dad was a “member” there in the 50s. Had an office on the embankment so it was his go to place for business deals. That was where he went after the 58 FA Cup final to celebrate. Moved back to Bolton in 63. I went for an interview in London in 86 after leaving uni. He came with me. Took me there for a look round and a drink before the train home. Gave his name. No questions asked. Straight in. I just have to have a go next time I’m down there 

Will take some pics, it's a glorious day for it.

Wish I hadn't planned to wear a light blue shirt though. Sweat patches ahoy!

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

It seems post wedding drinks and pre wedding breakfast are on the terrace so looks good.

It's actually not that pricey to join £789 a year which for the location is very good. Much less than twatty clubs like the Garrick (one of my partners is a member, never really liked it when I've gone) but still old school enough unlike Soho House (we've got company membership to that as it's decent for meetings as we don't have an office) 

Anyway, looking forward to it, was designed by the fella who did Manchester Town Hall and the national history museum. Its also my second 'Downtown' wedding after one that was actually at Highclear, so looking forward to having a wander round!

I’ve been invited to join Soho House.

Im still not entirely sure what it is I’d be joining

Just now, Spider said:

I’ve been invited to join Soho House.

Im still not entirely sure what it is I’d be joining

It's just a club with loads of different branches. They have some shit rules - no suits, no working in places at certain times to 'facilitate conversation' Basically if Nathan Barley had opened a private members club this is what it would be. Loads of media folk congratulating themselves on being smug.

But the locations are good, the food is good for reasonably priced for meetings. 

I prefer the arts club, but because my other two partners have houses in Oxfordshire they like to access the Soho House countryside location, which sounds even worse than the one on Soho. Loads of Chipping Norton moved out of London types.

4 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Bit nice in here...

If they keep up with the free wine I'm going to be doing a Lloyd George impersonaton soon.

If you want a quiet 10 mins, go and find the billiard room. Some quiet tables there. They have the annual competition winners board up - someone sacrificed their glory to put their name down as “A. Long Brown”.

It was nice, shame the weather wasn't all that so couldn't use the terrace as much as it was blowing a bit. Apparently they've only started doing weddings, the bloke behind the bar was a bit miffed at having to work a weekend, but he was on time and a half so fair enough. Handy for the tube as well which was a bonus getting home.

Great location but some bits were looking a little tired.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

It was nice, shame the weather wasn't all that so couldn't use the terrace as much as it was blowing a bit. Apparently they've only started doing weddings, the bloke behind the bar was a bit miffed at having to work a weekend, but he was on time and a half so fair enough. Handy for the tube as well which was a bonus getting home.

Great location but some bits were looking a little tired.

you?

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I cut a fine rug and then left when the party was going strong (had to get my mum and dad home)

Always leave 'em wanting more...

What you wearing to Pearl Jam?