Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Italy V Spain Int Final

globaldiver

Not conceded a goal in tournament football since 2006

That's some fucking record

It's also not true.

I heard them say this tonight and thought it was bollocks,they lost their first game in the last world cup for instance, and conceded a few at Euro 08, and they conceded one against Italy in the group stage of this tournament. I think they must mean they haven't conceded a goal in each of their 3 finals.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

6 games .. 12 goals . 1 goal conceded.

That final performance was a massive up yours to people having a go at them, you'll do better to see a better final performance with the kind of football that was just admirably magical.

Spain are quality not entertaining my arse, nobody can extend them at the moment it's not there fault that they only have to toy with the opposition, would love to see them play a good Brazil or Argentina, would pay big money to watch that.

world cup 2014? semis or QF?

6 games .. 12 goals . 1 goal conceded.

That final performance was a massive up yours to people having a go at them, you'll do better to see a better final performance with the kind of football that was just admirably magical.

The final was decent. The other 5 games it was like watching a different side.

The final was decent. The other 5 games it was like watching a different side.

The 1-1 group game with Italy was an entertaining end to end game with plenty of chances.

The 4-0 win v ROI was wonderful football against a shocking side

They could have lost to Croatia with that headed miss, but they were dominant for most of it, upped it when Navaz's pace came on.

Completely bossed France.

An even 90 minutes v Portugal,they where brilliant in extra time

World class final performance, with playing the 4-6- ghost striker formation, some have called it a negative formation, it's not, it tore Italy apart and when Italy tired, Spain threw on the pacey Pedro and Torres and it was a non contest at the end, it frustrates and tires the opposition, every game they've threw on pace and width and created a lot of chances, it's no coincidence, it's a perfect tactic and shows versatility.

Pirlo was nullified, closed down and his passing wasn't allowed to be a factor like it was previously.

Some call the Spanish boring, I found them enthralling to watch as ever, though admittedly at times they played a slow tempo in which ball retention was the objective.

Edited by Didledee

The 1-1 group game with Italy was an entertaining end to end game with plenty of chances.

The 4-0 win v ROI was wonderful football against a shocking side

They could have lost to Croatia with that headed miss, but they were dominant for most of it, upped it when Navaz's pace came on.

Completely bossed France.

An even 90 minutes v Portugal,they where brilliant in extra time

World class final performance, with playing the 4-6- ghost striker formation, some have called it a negative formation, it's not, it tore Italy apart and when Italy tired, Spain threw on the pacey Pedro and Torres and it was a non contest at the end.

Pirlo was nullified, closed down and his passing wasn't allowed to be a factor like it was previously.

Some call the Spanish boring, I found them enthralling to watch as ever, though admittedly at times they played a slow tempo in which ball retention was the objective.

He's reet you know!

• Members

Ignoring the gloating from Pancho Breightmet, I admit that I thoroughly enjoyed the Spanish performance in the final. Superb with a clear and deadly goal threat.

Despite what Alf and others say, I don't believe Spain have been as good earlier in the tournament but maybe they were just doing enough and saved it up for when it mattered most.

Full marks to them. Brilliant display and you can't argue with 3 consecutive wins in, arguably, the worlds 3 toughest international tournaments.

I do find myself, however, doing a compariosn with the truly great Brazil side with Jairzinho, Pele, Rivelino, Clodoaldo etc. and wondering which one I would prefer to watch. No contest really.

Guest Frandsen08

Spain were brilliant, have been all tournament, Italy were too open and once motta went off it was good night Vienna.

Im excited to see if any teams try a similar approach to Spain its not an easy thing to coach.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.