Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sectarianism

bryan_munich

I seem to remember those woolly hats with 2 teams on from the 80's were common, so having a Scottish team I suppose wasn't unusual

I seem to remember we had Hearts on the other side though, not either Glasgow club

I always assumed that was a "protestant" thing

Or is my memory playing tricks?

Crikey, even when I started going regularly to Burnden Park one of the loudest chants was the too-ing and fro-ing of the CELTIC; RANGERS; CELTIC; RANGERS <repeat ad nauseum>

At the time I used to shout for Rangers. Not because I was a Protestant (though I was) but because it was the first reaction to someone at a Bolton game shouting Celtic.

Many a time in the Lever end the Rangers Celtic chant went up and the scuffles kicked off usually it was good natured banter.

Crikey, even when I started going regularly to Burnden Park one of the loudest chants was the too-ing and fro-ing of the CELTIC; RANGERS; CELTIC; RANGERS <repeat ad nauseum>

At the time I used to shout for Rangers. Not because I was a Protestant (though I was) but because it was the first reaction to someone at a Bolton game shouting Celtic.

I remember that in the Paddock; mind you, to get it in perspective there were also SWAPSHOP....TISWAS chants on a fairly regular basis for a time .

• Members

Thats what I dont understand - you are a Bolton fan - why should you want to watch another team - a team that brings religion into it

Knew Quinny and the lads in his Dads pub very well - many a game we crammed into the back of his Thwaites van - and I didnt understand his allegiance to the jocks then any more than I do now

Well at least you can talk with some authority then.

Simple with me - old man was a long distance lorry driver for a company whose main depot was in Glasgow (Forths Transport, Radcliffe Depot). I went up regularly as a little un (started at 7 years old). All blue noses at the Glasgow depot and, as I never went anywhere without me football, they had me off to Ibrox at my second visit (just turned 8 years old I think).

Me mams brother was in the Black Watch. Married a girl from Newton Mearns. Family all mad Rangers fans.

I never had a chance really. Was always going to have some measure of allegiance.

"A team that brings religion into it"??? All eleven of em?

Well at least you can talk with some authority then.

Simple with me - old man was a long distance lorry driver for a company whose main depot was in Glasgow (Forths Transport, Radcliffe Depot). I went up regularly as a little un (started at 7 years old). All blue noses at the Glasgow depot and, as I never went anywhere without me football, they had me off to Ibrox at my second visit (just turned 8 years old I think).

Me mams brother was in the Black Watch. Married a girl from Newton Mearns. Family all mad Rangers fans.

I never had a chance really. Was always going to have some measure of allegiance.

"A team that brings religion into it"??? All eleven of em?

Well thats understandable then - what I dont understand is the people with no connections at all with Glasgow/Scotland , particularly when they constantly bring religion into it ( and I made the same mistake as you - it was Quiggers from Blackburn - not Quinny (Quinny's the Breightmet lad who for some obscure reason supports Liverpool)

• Members

Well thats understandable then - what I dont understand is the people with no connections at all with Glasgow/Scotland , particularly when they constantly bring religion into it ( and I made the same mistake as you - it was Quiggers from Blackburn - not Quinny (Quinny's the Breightmet lad who for some obscure reason supports Liverpool)

Shiyte- aint that spooky? You are right - I remember Quinny and Quiggers. Strange we should both make the same mistake. If you know Quinny, you will probably know the other Liverpool fan from B'met? Big Jimmy H?

Shiyte- aint that spooky? You are right - I remember Quinny and Quiggers. Strange we should both make the same mistake. If you know Quinny, you will probably know the other Liverpool fan from B'met? Big Jimmy H?

Liverpool fans from Breighmet, should be ran out of town its shameful, what are these people made of?

• Site Supporter

Liverpool fans from Breighmet, should be ran out of town its shameful, what are these people made of?

there's not that many in all honesty but i know a few, lot of Everton fans for some reason, well, of a certain age thinking about it, those that would have been 10-15 ish in the mid 80's when they were last any good, as well as the obligatory reds.

fair few bigots an all, was in the local here last weekend and was called a fenian cunt in the toilets, as i wear a claddagh ring, so this gave this fella the opportunity to sing no surrender , shout "remember Ulster 1690 you catholic cunt", which was nice for him i suppose, and he was half laughing singing and shouting, but then got all aggresive when i asked him what happened in ulster in 1690 as I didnt know.

didnt bother me, as he was just a stupid prick, and he wouldnt have remembered in the morning given his state i'd say but it shows the general undertone is there in some folk, even if they don't know what the fuck they are talking about, they think they do.