Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bbc Article - Why Have White Brits Left London

Smiffs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21511904

The writer convinces himself that white British have left London in their hundreds of thousands because they've managed to do well for themselves and have moved out to the leafy suburbs.

Is he kidding himself? The 700+ comments appear to think so.

Was London ever really British or has it always been a magnet for migration?

The writer convinces himself that white British have left London in their hundreds of thousands because they've managed to do well for themselves and have moved out to the leafy suburbs.

It's British ... but it doesn't really belong to it's inhabitants

When you throw in the huge volume of white Brits in London who have come from elsewhere in the UK, and the fact that moving from one side of the city to the other is effectively uprooting to a whole new place, then you realise very few people are 'from' London. Certainly not in the way my family goes back to the late 1800's (and probably further) around Little Hulton

Essentially the 'white flight' from London to Essex has now, predictably, gone a step further further and reached Suffolk / Norfolk / Cambs

• Moderators

dunno, the stats do show a "migration"

lad I know, east ender, will tell you that plenty of areas (Think he's from Bromley) are nothing like they were 20/30 years ago, that all the whites have moved out further afield and there's been an influx of foreigners into the more inner city areas

doubt you'd find many a true definition of a cockney who is white these days, compared to yesteryear anyway

I heard there's more French people in London than Bordeaux

fuck em, they're welcome to the dirty hovel

I presume this 'white-flight' is simply folk wishing not to live like rats in a filth ridden cramped nest and paying around £XXX a week/month in rent/mortgage payments for the privilege.

People will live in cramped, shitty overpriced conditions if it's seen as a temporary measure. Who, for example, wouldn't mind living in an airing cupboard for a bit in somewhere different like, I dunno, New York City?

Would it be totally unreasonable for someone to simply say large numbers of white Brits are moving out of London because of the increasingly large numbers of immigrants?

Or is that simply not true, and is a myth spread by Daily Mail readers?

Would it be totally unreasonable for someone to simply say large numbers of white Brits are moving out of London because of the increasingly large numbers of immigrants?

Or is that simply not true, and is a myth spread by Daily Mail readers?

No, IMO and I live and work down here, have done for nigh on 20 years

It's driven by crazy property prices. The people who owned the property (white British) realising they can sell up, live somewhere nicer in a big house in Essex or Suffolk, and pocket £200k - just a miles better lifestyle

Most immigration in London in the last ten years has been Eastern European so it's not as 'visible' in terms of skin colour

• Site Supporter

Was in a school at Ponders End the other week, north east London.

It is 86% non- white pupils.

Make of that what you will

London is there for one purpose - to make money.

Few years from now, it will be one hour away by train from Manchester, no need to live there at all.

It's a shit hole.

So 600000 honkeys have sold their mansions in luxurious places like Newham and Brent to rich Russians?

Blimey! How good is that for the economy?!

Russia must be really shit if they'd rather live up Ladbrook Grove.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, you're fashesus today! :D

Apart from New York, theres nowhere else id rather live at the minute, absolutely love it.

Its pretty simple the reason though.

I live in top of the list, Newham.

Iv been looking to buy a house, but I cant without moving out to Essex or somehwere.

The options in newham are live in a house in a shit hole or live in a flat.

theres nothing but flats here

as theres no room

when a couple get married, have kids and look to buy their first house, they have the choice of a flat or a house out of the way

only one winner

Was in a school at Ponders End the other week, north east London.

It is 86% non- white pupils.

Make of that what you will

London is there for one purpose - to make money.

Few years from now, it will be one hour away by train from Manchester, no need to live there at all.

It's a shit hole.

indeed

• Moderators

Who, for example, wouldn't mind living in an airing cupboard for a bit in somewhere different like, I dunno, New York City?

I probably would for NYC

was on this airbnb site earlier, where people rent out their flats

there's this place in Willamsberg, Brooklyn - it'd be cool as fuck to live there and no doubt very expensive, check out this flat - I reckon normally it'd be at least £800 a month or something

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/826502

large.jpg

I was looking at that Air B'n'B site a few weeks ago, it's quite funny how this has took off - there's been a site called 'Couchsurfing' where folk let others stay over for free or to chip in with groceries etc. Yet it seems people prefer this type of arrangement, paying and formalising the experience - it's a bit strange really, but human nature (questioning the motive of someone doing a 'good turn' - like someone offering the 'Couchsurfing' arrangement). I'm pretty sure Norman Bates took that lasses money before offing her tho' so I'm not sure about Air B'n'B being 'safer', but you probably don't feel as beholding to your host if you're paying?

You think that couple on Frannies link, having three of these cubby-holes on the go, at £23 a night each, would stretch to a bit of gloss for the 'door' and 'headboard' though - and £7 a day 'cleaning' charge is a bit rum an' all. Still, a pretty good earner for them (3 'rooms' remember) and, like the owner says, acceptable enough if you're only looking for somewhere to get your head down.

But I do wonder if they charge you per day for your ball-gag rental as well? :)

Edited by Youri McAnespie