Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A Good Point Well Made

olispence

Don't Bayern generate more income (or is it profits?) than anyone else in Europe at the moment?

If so, seeing as they're not charging the prices Arsenal are charging and the TV money in Germany must be considerably less than that in England, how exactly are they doing it?

If Bayern were in England then they'd be charging the maximum amount they expect they could get, as any good business would.

... but maybe they view football as not just a business in Germany?

Don't Bayern generate more income (or is it profits?) than anyone else in Europe at the moment?

If so, seeing as they're not charging the prices Arsenal are charging and the TV money in Germany must be considerably less than that in England, how exactly are they doing it?

If Bayern were in England then they'd be charging the maximum amount they expect they could get, as any good business would.

... but maybe they view football as not just a business in Germany?

I'm guessing it's because as the biggest club in Germany they get more than their fair share of the best German players and with the German national team so strong Bayern will be.If the best German players were only like the best English ones now, Bayern would be relatively shit.

Mind you, Mourinho had two of Germany's finest midfielders at his disposal and cocked it up against Dortmund.

Also Bayern's owners don't see it as a business like Arsenal's do.At Arsenal turning over a profit in 4th place is ok.If Bayern dropped down to 4th there'd be a spending spree to ensure it didnt happen again, not handshakes all round for turning over a profit.

I'm guessing it's because as the biggest club in Germany they get more than their fair share of the best German players and with the German national team so strong Bayern will be.If the best German players were only like the best English ones now, Bayern would be relatively shit.

Mind you, Mourinho had two of Germany's finest midfielders at his disposal and cocked it up against Dortmund.

Also Bayern's owners don't see it as a business like Arsenal's do.At Arsenal turning over a profit in 4th place is ok.If Bayern dropped down to 4th there'd be a spending spree to ensure it didnt happen again, not handshakes all round for turning over a profit.

Thanks for the answer ... but my question was aimed at how do they generate so much money, not how are they playing so well.

so why not give them away?

B19 E will be along in a minute with the facts

I have all but given up on all these morons claiming it is cheap. It's not. There are some cheap tickets but not many. The fact that 200 euros extra a ticket would only an extra 2 million shows how there are not many cheap ones

Thought this for years, why do we charge the prices we do when the income from sponsorships, TV revenue etc, far outways the gate reciepts?

Because they can.

However, if the season ticket prices were £400 this year, but we only charged £200 instead, the revenue loss on the 14,000 season tickets would be £2.8M

Though it wouldn't, would it?

At £200 a season ticket you'd hope for, say, an extra 5,000 season ticket holders? maybe? So 5,000 x £200= £1M, so the loss is down to £1.8M

However, if those 5,000 extra season ticket holders spent, say, £40 each on merchandising over the year = £200,000, loss down to £1.6M

If those extra 5,000 spent on average £10 each in the ground on pies/beers etc over 23 games= £1.15M, loss down to £450k

£450k, whats that? Bonuses paid to chairman/directors for failure? £8,654 a week, not even half a players weekly wage? or £346 per player, per week, in a 25 man squad.

Okay, I know it's a basic scenario, & the figures are hardly accurate or hearsay, but you're not telling me it's not food for thought!!

• Moderators

Quite simple, Bayern are the biggest club in Bavaria, Germany's wealthiest area. There quite simply is no comparison with Bolton as we are competing with similar sized clubs operating under similar financial conditions and don't have a catchment area of > 12,000,000 people.

Quite simple, Bayern are the biggest club in Bavaria, Germany's wealthiest area. There quite simply is no comparison with Bolton as we are competing with similar sized clubs operating under similar financial conditions and don't have a catchment area of > 12,000,000 people.

Excellent point. That's an incredible catchment area, granted 1860 will make some dent buy not much. I'd also hazard a guess that Bayerns owners haven't took out 750mill worth of debt or whatever it is to be in that position.

Read an article about German football a while back with it going on about how an 'owner' can't have more than 50% shares in a club in order to try and create a level playing field amongst clubs. It said in the main it works but bayern generate far more than anyone else through sponsorships with t-mobile and the like that they are far wealthier than everyone else

Arsenal have to pay for the Stadium. Bayern don't. It was built / paid for for the world cup.

Arsenal are raking it in at the moment and sat on a shit load of cash aren't they?

They could easily afford to sell 'cheap' seats.

They won't though. You may well ask why should they, but that's not the point being discussed here.

Edited by DazBob

Arsenal have to pay for the Stadium. Bayern don't. It was built / paid for for the world cup.

according to wiki... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allianz_Arena#Owners

both clubs funded the stadium, the state funded infrastructure improvements

plus I smell a fucking huge rat here....

In April 2006, Bayern bought out 1860 TSV Munchen's 50% share in the arena for a reported 11 million Euros. 1860's managing director Stefan Ziffzer stated that the deal prevented insolvency for the club. The terms of the agreement gave 1860 the right to buy back their 50% share of the arena for the price of sale plus interest anytime before June 2010. In November 2007, TSV 1860 München resigned that right

half a stadium for 11m euros. oh aye.

Thought this for years, why do we charge the prices we do when the income from sponsorships, TV revenue etc, far outways the gate reciepts?

Because they can.

However, if the season ticket prices were £400 this year, but we only charged £200 instead, the revenue loss on the 14,000 season tickets would be £2.8M

Though it wouldn't, would it?

At £200 a season ticket you'd hope for, say, an extra 5,000 season ticket holders? maybe? So 5,000 x £200= £1M, so the loss is down to £1.8M

However, if those 5,000 extra season ticket holders spent, say, £40 each on merchandising over the year = £200,000, loss down to £1.6M

If those extra 5,000 spent on average £10 each in the ground on pies/beers etc over 23 games= £1.15M, loss down to £450k

£450k, whats that? Bonuses paid to chairman/directors for failure? £8,654 a week, not even half a players weekly wage? or £346 per player, per week, in a 25 man squad.

Okay, I know it's a basic scenario, & the figures are hardly accurate or hearsay, but you're not telling me it's not food for thought!!

With the increase in TV revenue next season most PL teams could give away season tickets next season and not be out of pocket.

Arsenal are raking it in at the moment and sat on a shit load of cash aren't they?

They could easily afford to sell 'cheap' seats.

They won't though. You may well ask why should they, but that's not the point being discussed here.

They are a business and if you can sell 95% of your 60,000 seats at an average of £60 why would you sell them for £25. Basic supply and demand.

They are a business and if you can sell 95% of your 60,000 seats at an average of £60 why would you sell them for £25. Basic supply and demand.

FFS - This thread started off with a quote from Bayern's president saying, in their opinion, it's NOT just all about making as much money as you can from the fans.

Rather than make an extra £2m they'd rather make 10,000 cheap seats available. Are you saying Uli Hoeness is talking shit as it doesn't fit into a business model?

I'm sure in other ways Bayern fleece their fans as much as any English team does, but the way some people talk you'd think it was a bad thing they're doing because they aren't making as much money as they possible.

The stock response seems to be "Well, if you don't like it then don't pay it". This is indeed true.

... but ...personally, I think it's a nice gesture for a club to do something nice for it's fans purely out of goodwill rather than purely for financial gain.

Edited by DazBob

according to wiki... http://en.wikipedia....nz_Arena#Owners

both clubs funded the stadium, the state funded infrastructure improvements

plus I smell a fucking huge rat here....

half a stadium for 11m euros. oh aye.

Went to an 1860 Munich game in March

a large portion of their fans were wearing Dortmund shirts

didnt really understand why

now its starting to make sense!