Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Greatest Manager Ever?

globaldiver

• Moderators

in english football, ignoring the claims of the likes of gradi

just looking at pot gathering

would we look beyond clough, paisley and ferguson?

ferguson has managed the richest club through a period when money has become a bigger and bigger influence - and didn't do bad at aberdeen

paisley had the pull of being liverpool and won 3 european cups when it probably was easier to win it, but he did it all the same

clough just achieved things that defy belief

i think fergusons a cnut, paisley pissed me off when he whinged about us playing for a 0-0 in the 70's and clough had his moments

i think you can make a case for all three

Shanks took LFC from bottom of the 2nd division, small crowds, 2nd in the city, to the biggest club in Europe.

Liverpool were 10th of 22 in the second tier when Shankly took over. They finished third (with 2 to be promoted), and third again the next season, before winning that division in 1961-62.

The four seasons before he arrived they had finished third, third, fourth and fourth.

• Moderators

Cloughie for me, 2 European Cups at a club that shouldn't even be there. Fergie won 2 in 27 years at the richest club in the world, in a era where 20% of the league qualifies for the competition.

Cloughie for me, 2 European Cups at a club that shouldn't even be there. Fergie won 2 in 27 years at the richest club in the world, in a era where 20% of the league qualifies for the competition.

plus being cheated in the semis when at Derby.

Anyone for Herbert Chapman.

An FA Cup win and then 2 league titles with Huddersfield, a club with no history.

And then the same again with Arsenal - their first ever titles.

For cunning see this description of the Jack transfer:

"We arrived at the hotel half-an-hour early. Chapman immediately went into the lounge bar. He called the waiter, placed two pound notes in his hand and said: "George, this is Mr Wall, my assistant. He will drink whisky and dry ginger. I will drink gin and tonic. We shall be joined by guests. They will drink whatever they like. See that our guests* are given double of everything, but Mr Wall's whisky and dry ginger will contain no whisky, and my gin and tonic will contain no gin." (*Bolton directors!)

If this story (which gets trotted out on a semi regular basis) is true then how did our pissed up directors manage to get a then record fee for the player? A fee nearly double the previous record BTW.

"The Damned United" is on BBC4 on Thursday at 9pm.

That's about Clough, refering to LeedsU not the other one!

Part of it filmed in a friends house in Delph

Don't make a Martyr out of the cunt - there'll be a campaign for canonization from Kearsley to Kuala Lumpar (apologies to Kearsley Whites)...

I'd prefer a long drawn out descent into pissed up senility with plenty of trouser pissings, filter diminished racist/sexist/homophobic/offensive to the disabled public comments, falling asleep on playing fields and all the rest.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

Don't make a Martyr out of the cunt - there'll be a campaign for canonization from Kearsley to Kuala Lumpar (apologies to Kearsley Whites)...

I'd prefer a long drawn out descent into pissed up senility with plenty of trouser pissings, filter diminished racist/sexist/homophobic/offensive to the disabled public comments, falling asleep on playing fields and all the rest.

He already ticks most of these boxes.