Holiday Books Time

jules_darby

• 9 years later...
  • Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

James O’Brien?

that James O’Brien?!

🤣

He might open your eyes/ears to a different perspective.

I think it's healthy, that's why I follow the likes of Dan Hannan on twitter, to get the other side of the argument. He's been really quiet lately though, hope he's OK.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Marc505 said:

The two books written by former SAS bloke James Deegan are really well written and pretty brutal: Once A Pilgrim and The Angry Sea. 

Are they better written than Andy McNabs? Because his first few were really bad and then I expect they got better proof readers on the case as they improved massively. 

Just now, Winchester White said:

Are they better written than Andy McNabs? Because his first few were really bad and then I expect they got better proof readers on the case as they improved massively. 

Miles better than McNab's. His were also always full of needless and endless detail that went on for hundreds of pages. Deegan's are a far easier and exciting read (easier read than his social media as well, he's very er, patriotic, shall we say)

On the subject of ex SAS blokes I'm really looking forward to whatever Christian Craighead comes up with in future. He was the "Obi Wan Nairobi" guy who went into that Kenyan hotel siege on his own with civvies on and a tricked out M4 and cleared it out. He's a bit of a guns and god nutcase on his social media too, but has some incredible stories to tell.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Miles better than McNab's. His were also always full of needless and endless detail that went on for hundreds of pages. Deegan's are a far easier and exciting read (easier read than his social media as well, he's very er, patriotic, shall we say)

On the subject of ex SAS blokes I'm really looking forward to whatever Christian Craighead comes up with in future. He was the "Obi Wan Nairobi" guy who went into that Kenyan hotel siege on his own with civvies on and a tricked out M4 and cleared it out. He's a bit of a guns and god nutcase on his social media too, but has some incredible stories to tell.

I know it sounds strange but I like the detail.

It was the repetitive nature and slow progression really.

He got pelters for doing his books back then, do these others you mention get the same backlash?

1 minute ago, Winchester White said:

I know it sounds strange but I like the detail.

It was the repetitive nature and slow progression really.

He got pelters for doing his books back then, do these others you mention get the same backlash?

I enjoyed the detail too at first but I ploughed through about 6 or 7 of the books in his series and there's only so many times you can read about how a stakeout is put together from start to finish and virtually minute by minute. Seemed to really want to punish his main character all the time as well which is alright to a point but the personal tragedy he chucks him into every single book just gets too much!

James Deegans ones must have been signed off by the MOD but hus experiences clearly come through, especially in Once A Pilgrim, that ends up being about an unsanctioned mission in NI its a genuinely exciting read.

Craighead hasn't published anything yet but he's done a couple of podcasts where he's said he won't give many trade secrets away. He's definitely worth looking up on his instagram though he's an unsung national hero. (Although he does think it was all God's doing...)

10 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Recently bought Willie Morgan On The Wing for my kindle. Not read it yet but I’m an absolute sucker for anyone who’s played for us and written a book. Mark Patterson (ace), Jason McAteer (shite), Peter Reid (barely average). And I’ll keep on buying them

Have you read Frankie Worthy’s?

15 hours ago, globaldiver said:

As we head for the winter sun season, any good fiction reads?

Non fiction, I’m taking The Price of Time by Edward Chancellor

Harlem Shuffle by Colston Whitehead is decent - as is the Nickle Boys by the same bloke.

I'm very sad to say I've not read one fiction book this year - went a bit Anglo Saxon/Norman Conquest bonkers and now reading a book on Russia for some reason alternating with a book about Shackleton, no idea why - might put them down and start a decent page turner.