Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Les Padfield Book?

tomski

He's just a fucking dick.

In fact, he's that mental, he'd be the maddest on here if he was a regular.

He's sane compared to his mate the agent. He's madder than Jack McMad when he's feeling madder than a mad postman

Do they both still twitter, I don't really go on it these days

Edited by no balls

Again I may be missing something here but is Les Pilling and Les Padfield the same person. This fella was a scout for us for a while from what I can see?

Edit. Thanks Danny I assume everyone means that McCormick fella.

Edited by tomski

Ive read it very entertaining indeed , very funny in places with good insight into the megson era the book is called 'Scouting For Moyes' but it is

really scouting for megson (must have selected the Moyes title for sales reasons because he hardly features in the book)

Bsically its the ups & downs of being a scout with stories of futile trips to watch the wrong player playing for the wrong team at the wrong time.

Padfield really was not impressed with Zat Knight & told Megson that for a bloke  6ft 7inches tall he was unimpressed that he never won

any headers in the opponents penelty area especially from corners. He also advised against Danny Shittu  & was amazed we paid nearly £2

million for him.

Its a pretty good read if your a whites fan with a few veiled comments about the rot setting in after Allardyce.

Doesn't take a scout to highlight Knight doesn't present the goal threat he should.

Indeed, I am still utterly amazed at how poor his goalscoring record is for us. A lump of his size you would surely excpect to be getting 3 or 4 headed goals a season. Still, at least his lack of goalscoring is more than made up for by his imperial command of the defensive line.

• Moderators

No it does'nt but you can still ignore advise that you are paying for & waste £4.5 million on a muppet

A muppet who had played for years in the top division and pulled on the England shirt? Not defending him but Zat Knight must have (of have had) something.

A muppet who had played for years in the top division and pulled on the England shirt? Not defending him but Zat Knight must have (of have had) something.

That's pretty much where I'm at.

He's changed hands for decent money and has rafts of Premier League games under his belt.

That same premier league where every move is scrutinised to the max.

• Moderators

who was it who said Megson bought players that had resale value?

me, amongst others

seriously, compare what he left to what he inherited

he left players who have played loads of premier league games

he can't be held responsible for our failure to cash in on them at the right time

and maybe coyle can't either (just for balance) if davies/gartside is saying we don't need to

just a few questions

maybe all our managers (inc Megson) have been unable to sell our better players cos we pay them too well?

do we have to pay over the odds wages to attract players - shouldn't be the case as wigan seem to manage it, but its not something we've been great at