Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Official Rugby League Thread

Pie Eater

7 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Des Drummond RIP

His Leigh days were just before my time. Remember him as a fantastic winger in a dirty, horrible Warrington team

Met him once watching Crosfields ARLFC. He asked me who I supported. Told him Wigan. Gave me the death stare. Then cracked a massive smile. Lovely bloke

Very sad news indeed. I hadn't heard of him being ill or anything, so it's come as quite a shock.

A Leigh and British rugby league legend. 

5 minutes ago, White on Tyne said:

Great player. Used to love watching his brother Alva playing for Swinton too. 

So the story goes, Leigh were looking to sign Alva and gave him a trial game for the reserves at Barrow. Des went along to support him, ended up sticking a shirt on to make up the numbers and the rest is history!

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, glennboltw said:

Do you follow Swinton? 

Used to go for a few years from early 70s with my dad and then with a couple of mates home and away until mid 80s when i moved away. Had some great entertainers then like Alva, Green Vigo, Danny Wilson of course, and Wayne Rutene. Often the yo yo club when i watched them which allowed me to see them at places like Headingley as well as Huyton. Now that was a rum place to go. 
still keep an eye on scores but lost much of my interest really over the years. 
Are you a big fan then.

Wish Swinton hadn’t been mentioned because there was a bloke from Bolton who was a staunch Swinton fan whose name I can’t remember. Mid to late 80s he had a big beard and would see him in his Swinton top at the bus station on Sundays before we got the 540(?) to Central Park. Geoff maybe, going to annoy me all day that.

Had the pleasure of watching him score most of his 26 tries in the Championship winning 1981/82 season and for GB. 

I used to get the 582 most nights to Leigh to visit my (now) wife. Des would be on it at least 2 nights a week presumably going to evening training. Think he got on near the Morris Green Lane/St Helen’s Road junction from memory.

63 is no age.

5 hours ago, White on Tyne said:

Used to go for a few years from early 70s with my dad and then with a couple of mates home and away until mid 80s when i moved away. Had some great entertainers then like Alva, Green Vigo, Danny Wilson of course, and Wayne Rutene. Often the yo yo club when i watched them which allowed me to see them at places like Headingley as well as Huyton. Now that was a rum place to go. 
still keep an eye on scores but lost much of my interest really over the years. 
Are you a big fan then.

Yes, generally home and away, after  station road burnt down I continued to go to Gigg Lane for a couple years then took a break from watching them.....we still have a big core of fans that you would still remeber who have continued after all these years, gutted we got relegated last season as some of the games now are non events unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, glennboltw said:

Yes, generally home and away, after  station road burnt down I continued to go to Gigg Lane for a couple years then took a break from watching them.....we still have a big core of fans that you would still remeber who have continued after all these years, gutted we got relegated last season as some of the games now are non events unfortunately. 

Tragic they lost station road, I’ve a soft spot for Swinton having gone to school in Wardley where there were plenty of Swinton fans, watched them couple of seasons back against Leigh, mate of mines good pals with ex coach littler and he came into the box after for a chat and a beer. The Swinton fans were infront of the box and spotted some faces I remember from school. Would be great if they could relocate somewhere in Swinton. 

7 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Tragic they lost station road, I’ve a soft spot for Swinton having gone to school in Wardley where there were plenty of Swinton fans, watched them couple of seasons back against Leigh, mate of mines good pals with ex coach littler and he came into the box after for a chat and a beer. The Swinton fans were infront of the box and spotted some faces I remember from school. Would be great if they could relocate somewhere in Swinton. 

My dad used to take me watching Swinton in the 60s when they had a brilliant team.

5 minutes ago, leigh white said:

My dad used to take me watching Swinton in the 60s when they had a brilliant team.

Seen old videos from Station road and they had some incredible crowds on back in the day, must be heartbreaking for the old school Swinton fans to witness the decline over the last 50 years. 

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Seen old videos from Station road and they had some incredible crowds on back in the day, must be heartbreaking for the old school Swinton fans to witness the decline over the last 50 years. 

Some massive crowds when they held a Semi Final at SR, used to be a cracking club near the ground what had strippers on before the match.