Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton Cricket

• Site Supporter

From what I read that isn't what they want to do. BCL doesn't meet their needs for junior cricket (maximum one team per age group) whereas GMCL does so this is one of the reasons they have given for leaving.

Some of the older leagues and clubs are coming across quite stubborn and negative about GMCL to me. It might not work but change is probably required as participation levels are down. Many blame this on move from terrestrial TV but that's another thread altogether

That'll be the rhetoric put out to make it look as though they're shifting to improve local cricket rather that destroy it for the future but improve it for right now.

They're playing under 12s in with the under 15s and 18s. Is this a club which could put out two teams at age group. Course, they'll also be saying they'll have a recruitment to fill the teams but it's all too little too late.

By the way tonge all out for 147 Bradshaw 148 without loss. Foster 7 wickets

Edited by MickyD

Fielding on the boundary today in front of their spectators I heard, 'that's the problem with this league.'

I had to move infield then but that comment on its own says a lot to me. I've just got a duck tho so I'm not commenting anymore. ????

Just to be clear.

The reason no names are mentionned in Bonnars article where 'Egerton hit out at Bolton league' is because nobody has done such a thing.

The members who voted to stay in the Bolton league (Such as myself) obviously have their concerns about the junior setup and the future with that. This was brought up with Mr Hall who at the time said there was a possibility the BCL would allow for some sort of arrangement with the juniors, which we know now isnt the case and all the voters knew this before the final votes were cast.

At the time, this prompted the question (or the 'hit out') to be asked towards the Bolton league.

Bonnar works his magic again of making something out of nothing.

The club and members have taken it well and are ready for the new challenge.

Im not entirely sure why everybody else seems to have taken it so personally

Are they saying their juniors can pick and choose their opposition, and only play the local teams? Or will they be playing Glossop, a journey that could take an hour and a half?

Its not quite as severe as that travel-wise.

Its split into sections eg East/West meaning you will play the teams nearer to you.

For Egerton, theres not much differnce in a trip to Elton rather than Farnworth or Bury instead of Westhoughton.

• Site Supporter

Im not entirely sure why everybody else seems to have taken it so personally

I don't think any of the reaction is personal. Rather that, due to the reports coming from the local sports editor, which one would expect to carry at least some element of truth, it looks as though Egerton wanted to leave the BCL in favour of GMCL but keep the benefit of more local junior games. I'm sure that the senior members took into consideration that the parents of junior players might well struggle to get their kids to their away games. I'm also sure that every effort will be made by egerton to carry on the tradition of bringing juniors through the ranks. I'm not totally convinced, and time will tell, that the parents; the ones who are required to take early darts from work; will be as happy about the situation they find themselves in.

All your junior players might well go and find another suitable club in order to continue playing LOCAL cricket. Problem will be when their next nearest club decides that either they stick with the players they have or they cherry pick anyone who isn't happy with their new situation and tries to change clubs. That way they run the risk of upsetting already established players who maybe aren't quite as good as the person coming in.

I'm sure it will all come out in time but I do feel for the parents of kids who instead of travelling to Westhoughton are now expected to be at the other side of Stockport for a game. As I said in a previous post, good luck with that.

I think the Bolton League should move to a shorter format people have not got time to play 40 or 50 a overs a side games, get the 20/20 format and I am convinced participation would be up big time.

No from me , can't have kids playing the slogathon all the time

• Site Supporter

but I do feel for the parents of kids who instead of travelling to Westhoughton are now expected to be at the other side of Stockport for a game. As I said in a previous post, good luck with that.

Egerton will end up with the majority of Bury clubs for the juniors, and possibly seniors so

Bury,

Edgworth,

Greenmount,

Walshaw,

Elton,

Heywood,

Brooksbottom

Bamford,

Heywood is two miles further than if they are travelling to Westhoughton, with the rest being a tad closer.

I'm a big advocate of GMCL I think it is defiantly the future, however I'm also very pleased that Bolton has grown even stronger and together, Shame it's taken this to spark it off.

And Flixton is a twat to get to at tea time.

The only winner in all of this is cricket.

• Site Supporter

First game I've ever played I today where we have won by 201 runs,

We smashed 288-2 off our 50 and bowled Royton out for 87. Pleasure to have been involved with the 1sts this weekend

We did get a twatting yesterday against Rochdale though

So it's been an up and down weekend !

First game I've ever played I today where we have won by 201 runs,

We smashed 288-2 off our 50 and bowled Royton out for 87. Pleasure to have been involved with the 1sts this weekend

We did get a twatting yesterday against Rochdale though

So it's been an up and down weekend !

Happy for you but the thread is entitled 'Bolton Cricket'

If you believe that then Frank Hinks is Freedman.

Watch the game yourself and don't listen to others that haven't a clue.

I was watching the game all day, an edge early doors that the ump later apologised for making a mistake by not giving, knocked his own stumps over when he fell over then was finally out..

Believe that if you want. It doesn't matter.

No edge as your keeper said.

No apology (just made up)

I didn't see the 'hit wicket' but he's injured and hence should of had a runner.

Ah well, I've just pulled out Westhoughton at there place for you. #snobs