Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton Cricket

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, desperado said:

That was some innings! 

Honours even after you won the 20/20.

Best batter on show was young Cian - great player.

Certainly I think I’ll eventually be paying to watch him.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Update on Cian, he's sorted himself a season in Melbourne playing for Box Hill. 18 years old and flying around the world to play bat n ball!

Great experience for him. Let’s hope he continues to develop and improve, he’ll be a cracker 👏

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Supporter

Heaton Bradshaw put on another cracker yesterday, with the 20/20 going down to the last ball, with Heaton holding on to win.

Good to see you down there @MickyD

Never thought I’d say this as I was always a massive advocate of Bolton League cricket, but it seems to have been a good move for all the Bolton clubs who are now playing in the GMCL.

I’m hearing on the grapevine Horwich and Westhoughton are next……

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, desperado said:

Heaton Bradshaw put on another cracker yesterday, with the 20/20 going down to the last ball, with Heaton holding on to win.

Good to see you down there @MickyD

Never thought I’d say this as I was always a massive advocate of Bolton League cricket, but it seems to have been a good move for all the Bolton clubs who are now playing in the GMCL.

I’m hearing on the grapevine Horwich and Westhoughton are next……

The more going from BCL the poorer the league.

The merger of Bolton League and Bolton Association clubs has not had the desired effect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MickyD said:

@DazBob, are you staring in Lostock 3rds on Sunday?

Certainly not.  I'll either still be stuck at home isolating or I'll be very hungover from Saturday.

I did play 3rds at yours last season but only because we were short on numbers.

Probably be playing your lot again regularly in a few seasons time by the look of things though.

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, DazBob said:

Certainly not.  I'll either still be stuck at home isolating or I'll be very hungover from Saturday.

I did play 3rds at yours last season but only because we were short on numbers.

Probably be playing your lot again regularly in a few seasons time by the look of things though.

Kinell, masses of ale after covid- you'll be out of action for days afterwards. :)

10 hours ago, MickyD said:

Do I take it you’ll be coming to GMCL?

Nothing official's been decided, but I don't see what other option there will be.

It's very sad but this has been coming for years.  Too many badly run clubs in the Bolton league who are happy just to throw money at players who don't give a shit about the club.  This in turn filters down to their second teams and ultimately the kids' teams as they don't see any chance of progression up to the first team so they either move on or just give up the game completely.

I'm not sure the GMCL does anything to prevent this.  In fact it probably makes it worse as clubs don't even have to have second teams.

What the GMCL does do though is enable the best clubs from the region to rise above the shite and play at a competitive level week in, week out which, ultimately, is what all clubs should aspire to.

What I'll not be fucking happy about is potentially waking up on a rainy Saturday morning knowing I've got to drive to Glossop away to only potentially look at a wet pitch for a while and then drive home.

Disclaimer:  The above views are mine alone and are in no way representative of my club :)

Edited by DazBob

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

The playing all over the county is a pisser during the rainy season but then again, it is in BCL too. The upside is you get to play on some great new grounds. 

and some shit ones?