Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

World Cup - Day 19 (30/6/14)

Guest bwfcdan

Problem is Algeria seem incapable of finishing off their attacks .

Probably get caught out late on by the Germans.

Sometimes I hate being right.

Well, Algeria did score eventually but too little & too late. A great gutsy fighting performance from them though, with a lot of skill.

Nowt to separate these two

If most the Nigerian squad and Benzema are doing Ramadan it might catch up with them second half

Like Nigeria hope not having any half time oranges doesn't catch up with Algeria

Def capable of an upset on first half viewing

You seem to have a fixation about this.

Ramadan is defined by lunar months (like Easter) and moves forward about 11 days each year.

In 2012 it coincided with the Olympics, so devout Muslim competitors (such as Mo Farah) had dispensation to defer their observation of Ramadan until later.

I assume the same situation arises for the Algerian World Cup squad, plus the Muslim half of the Nigerian squad and the smattering of Muslims in the French and German squads, such as Benzima and Ozil.

Ramadan is defined by lunar months (like Easter) and moves forward about 11 days each year.

In 2012 it coincided with the Olympics, so devout Muslim competitors (such as Mo Farah) had dispensation to defer their observation of Ramadan until later.

I assume the same situation arises for the Algerian World Cup squad, plus the Muslim half of the Nigerian squad and the smattering of Muslims in the French and German squads, such as Benzima and Ozil.

They can defer it but some choose not to I am led to believe

• Moderators

I found it interesting that most chose not to defer, according to the report I was watching, which given the fact they were playing in hot conditions in a world cup game of such importance surprised me

And both nigeria and algeria gave it a good go till late on so who knows but reckon it might have had an impact

I noticed one of the Algeria fans was wearing a '1982' T-shirt in reference to the stitch-up perpetrated by Germany and Austria at that World Cup in Spain. Apparently the local Spanish newspaper posted the Germany v Austria match report in the crime section of the paper. True story.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jun/13/1982-world-cup-algeria

Edited by COYW

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.