Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Messi

gonzo

Id still rather have Bastian in my team than Messi.

Different players but I think Schweinsteiger brings more to the team as a whole.

Im not saying Messi should have scored that free kick, but he should have put it in the box rather than go for personal glory.

Ronaldo is a better player overall. You cant look at goal scoring record alone. Is klose the best player ever at the world cup? He is if you go off scoring record. He's not as good as the real Ronaldo nevermind the Portuguese pretender to the name. But hes scored more goals than anyone at the world cup.

Edited by frank_spencer

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Player of the tournament should have been given to Manuel Nauer if goalkeepers are allowed to win it.

he wasn't even the best goalkeeper in the tournament ffs

i know he won the golden glove but he didn't deserve it like Messi.

and don't give me all this sweeper bollocks either, he very nearly cost them elimination against Algeria just for starters.

• Moderators

I agree you can't judge on one isolated moment like a free kick but I did find it pretty funny. Without question the pressure got to him and he bottled it.

The other thing is after 2006 world world cup it was said he couldn't be judged on one world cup

the same was said in 2010

surely after three world cups he can be judged?

aye, one of the greatest ever players, just not been as influential as Maradona or Pele was at a World Cup

if he was to manage that at the next one, you could call him the greatest ever

aye, one of the greatest ever players, just not been as influential as Maradona or Pele was at a World Cup

if he was to manage that at the next one, you could call him the greatest ever

do you put him ahead of Zidane?

• Moderators

do you put him ahead of Zidane?

not yet, wait and see if he wins a world cup

easier to judge them when their careers are over

though club wise would put him ahead with potential to do much more before he's done

Id still rather have Bastian in my team than Messi.

Different players but I think Schweinsteiger brings more to the team as a whole.

Im not saying Messi should have scored that free kick, but he should have put it in the box rather than go for personal glory.

Ronaldo is a better player overall. You cant look at goal scoring record alone. Is klose the best player ever at the world cup? He is if you go off scoring record. He's not as good as the real Ronaldo nevermind the Portuguese pretender to the name. But hes scored more goals than anyone at the world cup.

Bollocks - the lad can't win

If he doesn't shoot there, he's a bottler

I don;t for one second believe Messi shot there for personal glory; it was the appropriate thing for him to do

it's just that the execution was poor 

and don't give me all this sweeper bollocks either, he very nearly cost them elimination against Algeria just for starters.

Who was the best keeper then? I didn't see any other keepers combining their goalkeeping duties along with sweeper duties.

• Moderators

Missed this:

The Golden Ball and other individual awards are chosen by Fifa's Technical Study Group, a 13-strong committee which analyses matches at international tournaments.

The group was set up after the 1966 World Cup to monitor trends and developments in the game.

Current members include former Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier and ex-Hibernian boss Mixu Paatelainen.

and don't give me all this sweeper bollocks either, he very nearly cost them elimination against Algeria just for starters.[/quot

His arrogance, size, confidence reminds me of Schmeichel. Whilst our keeper played like a rabbit trapped in the headlights. Defo the best keeper.

• Moderators

In his day, Beckham would have scored that last free kick.

Neuer should have been sent off.

he should no more have been sent off than the argie keeper who caught high balls with his foot outstretched in front of him (like siddall used to)

send em both off or neither of em

Player of the tournament is an utterly meaningless media puff. It's being on the winning team that matters.

The most graphic illustration of this came in the RL Challenge Cup final of 1968, when the guy who had already been chosen missed a last kick conversion from in front of the posts (it was very wet and his standing foot slipped). He carried the guilt for the rest of his life, sadly.

Having said that, for a number of years I had to select 'best performance of the match' winners at the Young Athletes League matches. I consoled myself with the fact that the winners got some goods for free, and that since they could only take the award once in the 5 match series, they often weren't really the best. But the sponsors rule the roost, of course. Money talks.

Player of the tournament is an utterly meaningless media puff. It's being on the winning team that matters.

The most graphic illustration of this came in the RL Challenge Cup final of 1968, when the guy who had already been chosen missed a last kick conversion from in front of the posts (it was very wet and his standing foot slipped). He carried the guilt for the rest of his life, sadly.

Having said that, for a number of years I had to select 'best performance of the match' winners at the Young Athletes League matches. I consoled myself with the fact that the winners got some goods for free, and that since they could only take the award once in the 5 match series, they often weren't really the best. But the sponsors rule the roost, of course. Money talks.

Getting the word adidas

Who have nothing at all to do with Messi of course

Getting the word adidas

Who have nothing at all to do with Messi of course

Coincidentally, the winners have always been adidas contracted since they began to fund the award.

But there were still plenty alternative options. Since it was presented immediately after the match it must have been selected before the match ended (and before he messied up his Beckham moment).

He was clearly embarrassed to have been chosen, and he went up in my estimation for that.

he should no more have been sent off than the argie keeper who caught high balls with his foot outstretched in front of him (like siddall used to)

send em both off or neither of em

See I don't get that

I don't  remember the argie one so can't comment on it

but it can't be either both sent odd or neither for me.

there is a right decision and a wrong decision

sending them both off or keeping them both on doesn't make it right

you make the right decision on both whatever

• Moderators

i know all that

the argie keeper didn't come anywhere near taking the head off the german attacker

the german didn't go anywhere near him cos he'd have had his head smashed in bits

higuain knew he was going to get clattered and didn't back out - good for him you might say

fact is, the argie keepers actions were just as dangerous

the fact the german had the 'sense' to stay away, meant there was no collision and no injury

doesn't mean his actions weren't dangerous

fwiw, id have booked em both

i know all that

the argie keeper didn't come anywhere near taking the head off the german attacker

the german didn't go anywhere near him cos he'd have had his head smashed in bits

higuain knew he was going to get clattered and didn't back out - good for him you might say

fact is, the argie keepers actions were just as dangerous

the fact the german had the 'sense' to stay away, meant there was no collision and no injury

doesn't mean his actions weren't dangerous

fwiw, id have booked em both

like i said I don't remember the argie keeper one

the thing that's annoying me is people saying 'well neuer got the ball'

irrelevent

so if he hadn't punched the ball would it then have been a foul?

'yes'

bollocks, the fact he punched the ball is irrelevent

its the same with those that claim a tackle can't be a foul because they got the ball

that's not how it works

i agree neuer was a foul and a yellow card fwiw

like i said I don't remember the argie keeper one

the thing that's annoying me is people saying 'well neuer got the ball'

irrelevent

so if he hadn't punched the ball would it then have been a foul?

'yes'

bollocks, the fact he punched the ball is irrelevent

its the same with those that claim a tackle can't be a foul because they got the ball

that's not how it works

i agree neuer was a foul and a yellow card fwiw

Problem is though keepers are untouchable in the eyes of the ref. If a keeper plays the ball and the man it isn't seen in the same light as if an outfield player did it. Flip the coin and a striker brushes the keeper at a corner the ref can't wait to blow for a foul/ It's all bollocks!

Problem is though keepers are untouchable in the eyes of the ref. If a keeper plays the ball and the man it isn't seen in the same light as if an outfield player did it. Flip the coin and a striker brushes the keeper at a corner the ref can't wait to blow for a foul/ It's all bollocks!

aye, spot on

• 3 weeks later...

Barcelona footballer Lionel Messi used UK firms to avoid £3 million in tax, Spanish prosecutors have alleged.

Barcelona and Argentina footballer Messi and his father are being investigated in Spain for allegedly defrauding the state of more than €4 million (£3 million) in tax.

Documents recently filed with spanish courts alleged the footballer used a string of companies, including UK firms, through which income from his image rights was routed, before making its way to Uruguay and Belize, according to The Times.

According to the paper the companies were registered to nominee owners and shareholders. It said prosecutors claim the pair used this to hide the fact the player was the 'recipient and beneficiary' of the income.

However, Messi has already said he and his father 'never committed any infringement' and 'always fulfilled our tax obligations', the paper said.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.