Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Birmingham 0 Bolton 1

Ratwhite

Guest pansyroadwhite

It's in Greater Manchester.

I was born in Bolton Lancashire I never moved so I am still in Lancashire, I receive mail marked Lancashire so if its good enough for the Royal mail its good enough for me  :blum:

I was born in Bolton Lancashire I never moved so I am still in Lancashire, I receive mail marked Lancashire so if its good enough for the Royal mail its good enough for me  :blum:

And I always put 'Bolton, Lancs' when I write letters or fill in forms. It'll sink in eventually.

According to Wiki (so it must be true) : "The county council was abolished in 1986, and so its districts (the metropolitan boroughs) effectively became unitary authority areas. However, the metropolitan county has continued to exist in law and as a geographic frame of reference,[3] and as a ceremonial county"

Well I, for one, don't need it as a geographic frame of reference nor as a ceremonial county.

Greater Manchester was an administrative area, created in 1974 and abolished in 1986.

"The new county boundaries are administrative areas, and will not alter the traditional boundaries of counties, nor is it intended that the loyalties of people living in them will change despite the different names adopted by the new administrative counties.”
Government statement issued on 1st April 1974 and printed in the Times newspaper

This was later confirmed:

“I can confirm that the Government still stand by this statement,.…that the local authority areas and boundaries introduced in April 1974 do not alter the traditional boundaries of counties. The 1974 arrangements are entirely administrative, and need not affect long-standing loyalties and affinities.”
Michael Portillo MP, Minister of State for Local Government – 11th July 1990

So Bolton (and, if you're interested, Wigan, Salford, Manchester, Liverpool and so on...) are all in Lancashire.

For further info:

http://www.forl.co.uk/

however

theyre now pushing for devolved powers which will once again see a head of the 10 boroughs

they can fcuk off

I like the sound of President Cliff Morris.

I suspect he does too.

Greater Manchester was an administrative area, created in 1974 and abolished in 1986.

"The new county boundaries are administrative areas, and will not alter the traditional boundaries of counties, nor is it intended that the loyalties of people living in them will change despite the different names adopted by the new administrative counties.”

Government statement issued on 1st April 1974 and printed in the Times newspaper

“I can confirm that the Government still stand by this statement,.…that the local authority areas and boundaries introduced in April 1974 do not alter the traditional boundaries of counties. The 1974 arrangements are entirely administrative, and need not affect long-standing loyalties and affinities.”

So Bolton (and, if you're interested, Wigan, Salford, Manchester, Liverpool and so on...) are all in Lancashire.

For further info:

Great find that - i'll have to remember that link next time someone pipes up.

It backs up everything I always thought to be true re. what constitutes Lancashire today

Saying that I live in the county of Bristol now, or is that Somerset or Avon, or . . . Bollocks!

For further info:

Just fact

But the deluded idiots running the show don't get i