Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Blackpool 1 Wanderers 1

burnden

Bet you've been inundated with requests for tickets Gonch.

It's been ridiculous mate haha

Got asked about 20 times at the Wigan game.

My dad had a knock at the door last night from a Bolton supporting taxi driver he sometimes says hello to in the pub. He wanted tickets. We've both had phone calls of my mums brother in law and a couple of second cousins. They all wanted tickets.

Crackers.

Dick 58 Wrote: Really hope you go on the pitch against bolton... Then get smashed all over the prom...
There's more bolton in your end than you donkey botherers
I recall when your little fucking coward with a blade did Ollie in, our snatch squad of a dozen game lads did plenty of "smashing on the prom" that night, more damage than you'd ever imagine.  

anybody ever heard of their snatch squad

Guest pansyroadwhite

To be fair in the seventies and eighties blackpool had a decent set of lads and were willing to have a go they just tended to be out numbered and maybe outclassed when we played them, thats not me spouting off just what i witnessed at the time

My first memory of observing trouble at Bloomfield Road was on Boxing Day in 1985. First time we'd played them for eight years and Bolton took thousands filling the half of the Kop that was open and two-thirds of the little side terrace. It was only Phil Neal's second or third game in charge. Electric atmosphere for a Third Division game! As always seemed to be the case at Bloomfield in the 80s we took the lead but failed to win. David Cross scored for us and they equalised in the last minute.

Was in the home end that day. Sounds like there'll be plenty repeating the experience this year.

I was in the side stand on that Boxing Day.

As a nipper I remember being shit scared of the wooden stand, and also a huge gang of lads below us in the paddock.

I thought they were Blackpool lads eventually invading the pitch to get at Bolton but I'm not sure now.

Can anyone shed light on it?

I was in the scratching shed for that Boxing Day game. I remember the crush outside in that narrow alleyway. Think it was Phil Neals debut... at left back. Paul Stewart equalised for them. He went on to play for Spurs, Liverpool and City.

I was in the scratching shed for that Boxing Day game. I remember the crush outside in that narrow alleyway. Think it was Phil Neals debut... at left back. Paul Stewart equalised for them. He went on to play for Spurs, Liverpool and City.

Think it was David Cross who scored for us. Was a treat to see the mental celebrations in the away end and isolated clutches of Wanderers fans in the home ends!

I remember listening to it on the radio at relatives and being absolutely gutted when the last min equaliser went in (how many times since have I had that feeling?). Was a bit too young to go on my own and there weren't many volunteering to take me in that period. Remember the write-up in Wanderers Worldwide - our first fanzine (remember that? any contributors off here? part of the TR85 group) - a week or two later and it sounded like bedlam. Also remember being absolutely gutted (the Xmas after I think?) when our game at Bury was called off cos of a frozen pitch on the day of the game - on about Dec 28th I think.

I remember listening to it on the radio at relatives and being absolutely gutted when the last min equaliser went in (how many times since have I had that feeling?). Was a bit too young to go on my own and there weren't many volunteering to take me in that period. Remember the write-up in Wanderers Worldwide - our first fanzine (remember that? any contributors off here? part of the TR85 group) - a week or two later and it sounded like bedlam. Also remember being absolutely gutted (the Xmas after I think?) when our game at Bury was called off cos of a frozen pitch on the day of the game - on about Dec 28th I think.

I remember being gutted about that Bury game being called off. It was the very same Xmas as the Blackpool game. The next match after Blackpool ended up being Wigan on New Year's Day at Burnden. We lost 1-2 - mainly because the referee Kenny Walmesley (a Bolton fan in his youth having been brought up near Tyldesley) sent off Bolton number 8 Steve Thompson - two yellows making a red. Except the first yellow had been Wigan's number 8.

I've had a word with myself for getting that wrong. I was thrown by 2 aways together - but that's what happened in those days...didn't we play Bury at home on Boxing Day the year after (a defeat, inevitably) then Doncaster away the very next day (another, abject, defeat viewed through that fucking cage)?

I've had a word with myself for getting that wrong. I was thrown by 2 aways together - but that's what happened in those days...didn't we play Bury at home on Boxing Day the year after (a defeat, inevitably) then Doncaster away the very next day (another, abject, defeat viewed through that fucking cage)?

Yeah ... lost 2-3 at home to Bury and I think you are right about Doncaster being the game after that. That was a grim Christmas. Despite getting relegated to Div 4 that season,, we beat Blackpool 1-0 at home in the league and Freight Rover, and drew 1-1 at Bloomfield, a Tuesday night game. In the long list of "different ways to balls up a chance of winning at Blackpool" that occasion involved us taking the lead and conceding an equaliser within a minute.

Old mate of mine is Blackpool

Paul Stewart was always his hero

Edited by jules_darby

The Gonzo has asked me to tell you all that you just need to PM him a ticket request and then send him payment via PayPal.

Yes that's right.

Ill even hand deliver the tickets to your door wearing nothing but a hat in the style of pork pie off the Desmond's.