Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

Tower FM is a loss to Bolton based fans.There has never been another radio station giving full match commentary on every Bolton match.It will have to be back to the Man City station GMR and occasional full commentary from the excitable Jack Dearden.Full commentary on GMR also means annoying reports on other matches more often than on Tower

• Site Supporter
31 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

For its failings GMR commentary has always been streets ahead of Tower. 

Although I do miss the old fella who used to go off on tangents sending shout outs to Doris from Chew Moor who resting up after a bad fall. 

Tower was a modern version of Dave Higson. A bit more humour, and passion if a little less professional. A shame.

20 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I can't remember whether it was Tower FM or GMR (probably the former) but one of them had a co-commentator for a while who used to shout "Goal!" every time we had a half decent chance, irrespective of whether it went in or not. It used to properly annoy me.

I think you mean Gary Henshaw on Tower, i liked his co commentary but you couldn't celebrate a goal until the commentator had con firmed! Jack Dearden is another who gets too excited with a near miss.

1 hour ago, Tungsten3 said:

oh ok thanks malcolm

I guess the rights are expensive and since us and bury are doing badly the listening figures would be poorer than in the past.

Glad its still around as they might get sport back in the future

The company are dropping live sports across all of their stations rather than just Tower. Wish FM covered live games for Latics, Wigan rugby and St Helens as part of the same company. 

4 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

The company are dropping live sports across all of their stations rather than just Tower. Wish FM covered live games for Latics, Wigan rugby and St Helens as part of the same company. 

Ah right maybe the rights have got too expensive generally then.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

I think you mean Gary Henshaw on Tower, i liked his co commentary but you couldn't celebrate a goal until the commentator had con firmed! Jack Dearden is another who gets too excited with a near miss.

Can't stand dearden but the worst is the constant score updates from other games

Often the one they're covering on dab

On our digital dab service

As opposed to a non digital dab service?

• Site Supporter

Over the years I've enjoyed GMR the most, remember Jimmy Wagg in the 90s using the phrase ITMA every time Andy Walker scored.

Can see why Oldham fans think it's Bolton biased over the other town clubs, but tough shit, it's simply because we attract more listeners.

Luton will cause some mither on their travels this season. 

Always kind of liked them, though I’m not sure why. Probably because they were mirrored our giant killings in 94 and every VHS I had of our highlights had them on doing similar. They beat Newcastle the same night we beat arsenal. Scott Oakes and all that.

Remember going when sneekes scores a cracker on bonfire night iirc. 

7 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Luton will cause some mither on their travels this season. 

Always kind of liked them, though I’m not sure why. Probably because they were mirrored our giant killings in 94 and every VHS I had of our highlights had them on doing similar. They beat Newcastle the same night we beat arsenal. Scott Oakes and all that.

Remember going when sneekes scores a cracker on bonfire night iirc. 

Where's this orange kit come from last few years? I remember the Scott Oakes era and they were in all white!

Edited by Marc505