Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

6 hours ago, Traf said:

Henderson & Pope for me.

No Alli in squad either, massively over-rated prick.

Agree with every word.  I'd throw in Tom Heaton as well, makes saves, commands box, no fuss, no passing it around taking risks at the back like so many others.  And Alli - beggars belief its taken so long for Hodgson then Southgate to catch on how ineffective he's been for years.

• Members
1 minute ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

It's asking a lot of him, but it's probably our best bet.

Put someone like Busquets or Thiago in our team and we'd be a proper force.

He does like Dier, but he’s gone off the boil 

On the subject of the Euros, I'm finding it hard to think of a scenario where a major tournament involving loads of nations and hundreds of thousands of fans flying here there and everywhere is allowed to go ahead in only 3 months time.  I'm preparing myself for a football free summer and anything else is a bonus.

• Members
7 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

On the subject of the Euros, I'm finding it hard to think of a scenario where a major tournament involving loads of nations and hundreds of thousands of fans flying here there and everywhere is allowed to go ahead in only 3 months time.  I'm preparing myself for a football free summer and anything else is a bonus.

Don’t say that. 

• Members
Just now, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I've never been keen on players like Dier and Rice. They strike me as being alright but not quite good enough in either department.

Yeah I get what you mean, they kind of become one of the back 5, rather than a midfield 3/5 and leave a big gap in the centre of the park. That’s why Kante, Fernandinho and Fabinho are such good players. 
England haven’t got anyone who’s really cemented that role.

• Members
2 minutes ago, Traf said:

The lad works hard and makes Liverpool tick, but when Jordan Henderson is a nation's best CM, you're never winning anything.

Had a simple role to do and does it very well, surrounded by very good players 

The England team is lacking quality in centre midfield and central defence.

Mids: Henderson, Rice, Maddison, Grealish, Dier, Winks, Dele, Foden.

Centre Backs: Stones, Maguire, Gomez, Mings, Tomori.

Plenty of decent players in there but none are in the same bracket as, Kane, Sancho, Sterling, Trent Alexander Arnold.

Croatia and Netherlands games really showed how average our midfield can be. I remember Pirlo running the show against us in the last Euros too. We either need someone that can do that role for us and dictate the game, or someone that can nullify a Modric or a Frenkie De Jong.

Assuming we play 4-3-3, I can't think of a balanced central midfield with enough quality.

Henderson can be a CDM, but is more of a workhorse CM, he has Fabinho doing the dirty work for him at Liverpool.

So that means playing Henderson with either Rice or Dier, both of whom aren't in great form, or play Henderson as our CDM, and have Grealish and Maddison/Winks/Dele, as our CMs, but that just seems too attacking. A friend told me we should play Kalvin-Philips from Leeds as our CDM, can't see a championship player getting in the squad though.

Our attacking quality should see us through against the weaker teams but can see us predictably getting bossed when we come up against another good team. Fair play to Southgate for getting the feel good factor in the World Cup, although he did get a bit lucky with the way the draw went, but I don't think he's got the tactical ability to make us pull off an upset.

Edited by Bob

18 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Stones could play the Campo role. 

If we're going that route then Holgate has played there and done well for Everton. I don't like it though. 

Prefer the attacking possession based midfield with Henderson as the pivot, a combination of Maddison, Grealish, Winks, Foden and even Loftus-Cheek if he gets fit as the more advanced pairing handling the majority of the creativity. Allows Sancho and Sterling to cause havoc with their movement ahead of the ball and forces Kane to stop dropping so deep. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Anderson said:

If we're going that route then Holgate has played there and done well for Everton. I don't like it though. 

Prefer the attacking possession based midfield with Henderson as the pivot, a combination of Maddison, Grealish, Winks, Foden and even Loftus-Cheek if he gets fit as the more advanced pairing handling the majority of the creativity. Allows Sancho and Sterling to cause havoc with their movement ahead of the ball and forces Kane to stop dropping so deep. 

Didn't say he would, just that he could 😉