Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

2 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

no, but 86% over a season isn't bad

When most passes are under 5 yards from these days, it’s not that difficult.

Real progressive forward passes are the ones that really matter. 

This is why stats are misleading, particularly passing stats. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Members

My point was city want a defender with high passing stats because that’s what they are looking for, all defenders comfortable on the ball, all can pass with both feet and find their man, over 5 yards or 50 

Thats the criteria. 

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

When most passes are under 5 yards from these days, it’s not that difficult.

Real progressive forward passes are the ones that really matter. 

This is why stats are misleading, particularly passing stats. 

are you more of an "assists"  man then?

• Site Supporter

We've gone from  being very excited excited and talking about how we are going to win the league, to talking about how other teams are decent outfits and it won't be easy. Serious reality check has happened.

Including myself in that, not in my wildest dreams would I have said we would lose our first 5 competitive games.

I'm thinking of switching clubs, fancy Everton this year.

18 minutes ago, Alf Hartigan said:

We've gone from  being very excited excited and talking about how we are going to win the league, to talking about how other teams are decent outfits and it won't be easy. Serious reality check has happened.

Including myself in that, not in my wildest dreams would I have said we would lose our first 5 competitive games.

They will lose 5 on the trot soon; just as you switch 😀

30 minutes ago, Alf Hartigan said:

90% are pisstakes aren't they?

• Members

Well Rudy, interesting signing overnight considering what we had been talking about yesterday. Confirmation of the glaring weakness?

For obvious reasons seen a lot of Benfica over the last year or so and he is a good un in the Liga NOS. How he will perform in the PL will be interesting. Worth over 60 million quid? I don't think any player (or even 5 players) is worth an amount which would feed and water the entire population of Ethiopia for a week. Then FIFA and UEFA have the temerity to force feed us their 'social issues' agenda the fucking hypocrites.

You also managed to get rid of a liability in the other direction. I now have to factor that in to my punting strategy - the bastards!

6 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Well Rudy, interesting signing overnight considering what we had been talking about yesterday. Confirmation of the glaring weakness?

For obvious reasons seen a lot of Benfica over the last year or so and he is a good un in the Liga NOS. How he will perform in the PL will be interesting. Worth over 60 million quid? I don't think any player (or even 5 players) is worth an amount which would feed and water the entire population of Ethiopia for a week. Then FIFA and UEFA have the temerity to force feed us their 'social issues' agenda the fucking hypocrites.

You also managed to get rid of a liability in the other direction. I now have to factor that in to my punting strategy - the bastards!

He is a very good player this Dias, but like you say....who knows how good he can be in the prem.

With Otamendi going the other way, Dias is costing around £50 million. Not bad considering Burnley want £40 million for Tarkowski.

• Members
25 minutes ago, Pablo said:

He is a very good player this Dias, but like you say....who knows how good he can be in the prem.

With Otamendi going the other way, Dias is costing around £50 million. Not bad considering Burnley want £40 million for Tarkowski.

Madness eh? Something has to give somewhere.

I think transfer fees are generally irrelevant 

If you add up all the NET spend from every football club in the world then the total transfer spend is £0 (assuming no taxes) 

The same money changes hands from one club to another to another then back to the first club 

The money spent on wages (inc bonuses etc) is the big one. However if teams like Man Utd generate £1bn in Revenue a year and they only have 25 senior pros on the books then why shouldn’t the top earners bring in £500k a week / £25m a year? 

Nobody bats an eyelid if a singer or actor makes huge sums, I think Adele has made over $400m in the last ten years for singing a few songs. Nobody cares, I don’t see the government telling her that she should bailout the small music venues that are closed due to Covid 

• Members
10 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Neymar and his bent agent of a father have a lot to answer for. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, birch-chorley said:

I think transfer fees are generally irrelevant 

If you add up all the NET spend from every football club in the world then the total transfer spend is £0 (assuming no taxes) 

The same money changes hands from one club to another to another then back to the first club 

The money spent on wages (inc bonuses etc) is the big one. However if teams like Man Utd generate £1bn in Revenue a year and they only have 25 senior pros on the books then why shouldn’t the top earners bring in £500k a week / £25m a year? 

Nobody bats an eyelid if a singer or actor makes huge sums, I think Adele has made over $400m in the last ten years for singing a few songs. Nobody cares, I don’t see the government telling her that she should bailout the small music venues that are closed due to Covid 

how doesa that work then? isn't that assuming every club spends what they receive?

relegated Bournemouth are not spending the £80M they got for Ake, Wilson and Ramsdale

they may choose to bank it, or cover their losses from reduced TV income, but not seeing how it evens itself out