Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

27 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

how doesa that work then? isn't that assuming every club spends what they receive?

relegated Bournemouth are not spending the £80M they got for Ake, Wilson and Ramsdale

they may choose to bank it, or cover their losses from reduced TV income, but not seeing how it evens itself out

If you take the total NET transfer fee of every club in the world then the NET spend is zero 

As every single transaction zeros itself off as the other team receives the money (excluding any potential local taxes). The sake deal is +£40m for for Bournemouth, -£40m for city, combined NET spend for both clubs is £0m (nothing has left the game’) 

Sky Sports often report that £Xbn has been spent on transfers in a single window, that’s just looking at total fees paid, in reality the total NET spend is much much lower

The PL is the richest so will have a total NET spend that’s negative as money leaves the U.K. and goes to clubs around the World. I bet if you look at the NET spend in countries like Portugal it will be positive

globally, if you include every club transfer fees are neutral  

1 hour ago, birch-chorley said:

If you take the total NET transfer fee of every club in the world then the NET spend is zero 

As every single transaction zeros itself off as the other team receives the money (excluding any potential local taxes). The sake deal is +£40m for for Bournemouth, -£40m for city, combined NET spend for both clubs is £0m (nothing has left the game’) 

Sky Sports often report that £Xbn has been spent on transfers in a single window, that’s just looking at total fees paid, in reality the total NET spend is much much lower

The PL is the richest so will have a total NET spend that’s negative as money leaves the U.K. and goes to clubs around the World. I bet if you look at the NET spend in countries like Portugal it will be positive

Agents fees, signing on fees and stupid wages have left the game.  But yes the transfer fees themselves aren't the relevant bit because they arguably go to another club that might even save them, its the rest of it that is obscene.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

so what happens if the Bournemouth chairman pays himself £40M purely based on that sale, has the money not left the game?

I'm not being deliberately obtuse or anything, I just find it had to get my head around this idea it all cancels each other out

for example:

Premier League Club Netspend  for the last 5 Seasons
https://www.transferleague.co.uk/premier-league-last-five-seasons/transfer-league-tables/premier-league-table-last-five-seasons

that says between those clubs, the net spend over 5 years:  3,015,320,000

are you saying beteween every over club in the world, the net spend in the same time period is: -3,015,320,000?

• Site Supporter

Also, does anyone know what the take up of British players going abroad compares to overseas players coming to Britain. (For Britain, read England)

It seems to me that incoming players far outnumber outgoing. Even foreign players plying their trade here and being sold on at a profit is quite unusual.

1 hour ago, ZicoKelly said:

so what happens if the Bournemouth chairman pays himself £40M purely based on that sale, has the money not left the game?

I'm not being deliberately obtuse or anything, I just find it had to get my head around this idea it all cancels each other out

for example:

Premier League Club Netspend  for the last 5 Seasons
https://www.transferleague.co.uk/premier-league-last-five-seasons/transfer-league-tables/premier-league-table-last-five-seasons

that says between those clubs, the net spend over 5 years:  3,015,320,000

are you saying beteween every over club in the world, the net spend in the same time period is: -3,015,320,000?

A transfer fee is a movement of money from one football club to another, so in reality no money is going out the game on that fee, it’s neutral 

Granted the Premier League has a NET negative spend, it’s the richest league in the world so it will do, other leagues will have a NET positive, globally it’s neutral 

Your link is showing -£3.2bn NET spend over 5 years, sounds about right, that £3.2bn has gone to other leagues. The likely main beneficiaries are the EFL, League 1, La Liga, Bundesliga etc - I bet many of those leagues have NET +Ve transfer fee spend 

You’ve also got to consider the total revenue for the PL teams over those 5 years, likely £40bn to £50bn, so the NET transfer money that’s gone to other leagues is only about 5% to 10% of Revenue. On the flip side players wages swallow up about 70% of Revenue so over the same 5 years players will have had circa £35bn (10 times more than NET transfer fee spend) 

Sky Sports will often make a big deal about transfer windows with billions changing hands each window, in reality it’s the same money going round and round like a carousel, the NET spend for PL will be more like £300m a window / £15m per club (which as discussed makes its way to other clubs anyway) 

57 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

A transfer fee is a movement of money from one football club to another, so in reality no money is going out the game on that fee, it’s neutral 

Almost.

Of the £50m City pay for Roy Race, Melchester Rovers only receive £45m of that, £5 goes to Race & His Agent.

Melchester may then have to pay their agent out of the £45m, say £2m.

So £7m out of the £50m NET fee has left the game.

All figures are approximate, but 15% of a net transfer fee going out of the game is pretty common, based on reported figures (Neymar' father & agent took €38m out of the €222 transfer fee for example).

3 minutes ago, deane koontz said:

Calvert Lewin again.

Losing Richarlison to injury might fuck up Everton's start if he's out for some time. He causes all kind of trouble with his movement..

he would be a loss. But we play 1 game in the next 3 weeks.

and we have some decent players that cant get a game right now....or we just go and buy zaha!!!

I was thinking along the lines of selling a house, you sell it for £150k, that’s transferred between you and the buyer and is on public record 

If you then pay an estate agent a fee that’s based on a % of the transfer then it’s separate from the official fee 

Likewise and payments to a player, including bonuses should be captured in wage bill as it should go through HMRC

Still, broadly speaking, for all the big numbers banded about, NET transfer spend is tiny compared to wage bills 

1 hour ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Surprise team this year Leeds

nice to see city not having their own way 

Thought I’d escaped the FiL and City today with the leccy being off. Oh no. Full on rant. He’d been to the pub. Everyone is conspiring against them apparently as nobody wants them to win the Prem. May have to watch MOTD for a laugh

1 minute ago, MancWanderer said:

Thought I’d escaped the FiL and City today with the leccy being off. Oh no. Full on rant. He’d been to the pub. Everyone is conspiring against them apparently as nobody wants them to win the Prem. May have to watch MOTD for a laugh

😄😀conspiring 

klopp will be sat with a beer tonight laughing his balls off