Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

hadn't even seen that when I posted last night

saw his post play offs one and had it in my head since, because it's right

and just found this one as well

It's like they've been scripted with Mike Skinner the night before.

Fantastic.

• Members
1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I'm guessing this is an age thing? :)

The singer/rapper Mike Skinner from the Streets sounds exactly like Scott Parker, put his interviews over a streets tune, voila 

• Members
1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Cheers.

Never heard of Mr Skinner.

Makes sense now.

He’s basically a beer drinking cig smoking lout, but his tunes growing up were scarily relatable, losing your mates in a club off your tits, finding enough money for a beer and kebab, explaining to people why weed is safer than alcohol, over a garage tune 😁

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I'm guessing this is an age thing? :)

46 minutes ago, Steejay said:

It's like they've been scripted with Mike Skinner the night before.

Fantastic.

seems not

last one is ace, even the littlle stutters are spot on

Edited by ZicoKelly

44 minutes ago, marple whites said:

Not great results in league 2, but our juggernaut needs to come on winning.

tranmere game going to be huge.

It feels like the league is settling down.  The teams in the top 10 aren't a flash in the pan, they all look like the real deal by the standards of this league.  Most of them have shown consistency over a period of time, with us and Tranmere the exceptions relying on a burst of wins to get up there, probably helped by kinder fixtures.  It gets interesting now because any win can put us in the play offs, any defeat and we're back at half way.  

2 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

I’ve still not seen anything to be frightened of in this league. If we are still a similar distance from top 3 by the time the transfer window opens, we’ll manage enough of a change in quality to get that top 3.

Quite right.

If we can keep the bulk of our "first XI" fit and add some quality to the squad, we should be fine. Doyle's scoring again (6 in 9), Fonz has 4 and Sarce has 3 but we do need others to chip in.

15 minutes ago, Traf said:

Quite right.

If we can keep the bulk of our "first XI" fit and add some quality to the squad, we should be fine. Doyle's scoring again (6 in 9), Fonz has 4 and Sarce has 3 but we do need others to chip in.

I agree to an extent Traf, because obviously the more people we have capable of scoring the better chance we’ve got, but for me the big thing is the defence and the lack of goals we’re now conceding.

1 in 4 since Gilks has been in net, 2 in the last 5 if you include Mansfield. If we keep the defence settled and injury free, then keeping the same ratio to the end of the season (unlikely but just to make a point), we would concede 12 more goals - if that was the case then I’d back a combination of Doyle/Delf/Sarce to score us enough goals to go up, regardless of others chipping in.

Whichever way you look at it, I think there’s enough reasons to see why we can and should be going up at the first attempt - I still think we’ll go up as Champions. If we can just latch on to that pack in the race for the automatics then I don’t think we’ll drop off, especially with additional recruitment in the right areas in January.

Dealing without Tutte for the next few weeks could be an issue but I think the rest of the team are playing well enough to compensate.

Vaccine being rolled out from next week, Boris basically being told to forget more lockdowns in the new year and warmer weather on the way post Feb - we’ll have some of our best ever away days at Grimsby, Morecambe and Crawley to see the whites go up!  

Southend aside, we're not killing games off despite our superiority and for how good our defence has been of late, we've got an old guy in goal playing behind a central back three all prone to a fuck up now and then.

That's why I'd rather we added some more goal threats. 

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, marple whites said:

Not great results in league 2, but our juggernaut needs to come on winning.

tranmere game going to be huge.

Only dropped one place. Not that bad.

Still in striking distance: a couple more wins could make a real difference.

I note that scunthorpe had a stonking away victory, which could indicate the improvements we've made.

As Traf points out, still need more goals though. 

7 hours ago, Traf said:

Southend aside, we're not killing games off despite our superiority and for how good our defence has been of late, we've got an old guy in goal playing behind a central back three all prone to a fuck up now and then.

That's why I'd rather we added some more goal threats. 

I agree the main area we need to improve is the basic art of shooting.  When do we ever think "what a save" by the opposition keeper, we just seem shot shy aside from half decent finishes from Doyle, Fonz and Sarcevic.  They are reliable enough with chances from 12 or 15 yards but when does anyone ever pull the trigger from 20 yards, connect properly and have the keeper clawing it away in the top corner?  Yet pre-season I could only see goals coming from Crawford, Politic, Sarcevic and occasionally Darcy to name 4 who had a track record of long distance shots.  Now its looking like a weakness.

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I agree the main area we need to improve is the basic art of shooting.  When do we ever think "what a save" by the opposition keeper, we just seem shot shy aside from half decent finishes from Doyle, Fonz and Sarcevic.  They are reliable enough with chances from 12 or 15 yards but when does anyone ever pull the trigger from 20 yards, connect properly and have the keeper clawing it away in the top corner?  Yet pre-season I could only see goals coming from Crawford, Politic, Sarcevic and occasionally Darcy to name 4 who had a track record of long distance shots.  Now its looking like a weakness.

exactly - at this level the keepers are limited in ability, by definition really. They can maybe make an acrobatic block but, unlike top class keepers, they've unlikely to always get it safe in the process. There's no need to try for a worldie of a screamer to the very top corner. Just make the bugger do summat...