Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Marc505 said:

Anyone watching this Fever Pitch series on 1 about "the rise of the Premier League"?

Was really looking forward to this series the PL in 90s was ace, but without exaggeration 90% of the whole thing has been United focused. 

What did you expect?  A decade of Premier League football where they won all but two years was never going to be about Oldham, Reading,  Swindon and Barnsley  or any other club we'd almost forgotten played in that league. 

16 minutes ago, MickyD said:

What did you expect?  A decade of Premier League football where they won all but two years was never going to be about Oldham, Reading,  Swindon and Barnsley  or any other club we'd almost forgotten played in that league. 

Plenty of other stories they could have covered if they wanted to chart the story of the first decade of the PL, plenty.

Touched on Blackburn, Keith Gillespie's gambling, Merson, Wenger and that's it. 

• Members
9 hours ago, Carlos said:

Sad to see the decline of Barca.

£130m on Dembele who has played 80 times in 4 years on £350k p/w

£140m on Coutinho who they loaned to Bayern for nothing £400k p/w

£120m Greizmann £400k p/w who they sold back to Madrid for £40m

£30m on a bank loan

£85m was mortgaged on future incomes. 

£500m on Messi over 5 years who they have lost for £0

Fuck em, with bells on. 

Edited by Rudy

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Let’s hope Liverpool, City, Man U & Chelsea soon go the same way. 

Man U don't have the same potential issue as the others. Their owners don't exactly pump money in like Roman does. Probably best then that they stick with the glazers. :)

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

£130m on Dembele on £350k p/w

£140m on Coutinho, £400k p/w

£120m Greizmann £400k p/w

£500m on Messi over 5 years who they have lost for £0

Fuck em, with bells on. 

Blimey, I wasn't aware of those wages. Lunacy.

They need this reawakening.

It's all incredibly Political, capital P, of course.

• Members
1 minute ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Blimey, I wasn't aware of those wages. Lunacy.

They need this reawakening.

It's all incredibly Political, capital P, of course.

That’s only the transfers I know about fuck knows what the renewals of contracts look like 

• Moderators

Here's the problem with modern football, throughout my life, Barca have been a great club, always worth watching. Cruyff, Romario, Stoichkov, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho etc. At no point did anyone have a clue what Cruyff was earning, or give a fuck.

45 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Here's the problem with modern football, throughout my life, Barca have been a great club, always worth watching. Cruyff, Romario, Stoichkov, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho etc. At no point did anyone have a clue what Cruyff was earning, or give a fuck.

I'd say Barcelona are the 2nd most exciting, glamorous and charismatic sports club there has ever been.People expect the best players to be at that stature of club and expect them to be well paid.

• Members
1 hour ago, Carlos said:

Agents for you. Barca are a great club but for the last 8 or so years have been ran by mercenaries. They’ve contributed to the crippling effects of the smaller clubs and are still trying to break away. 
As soon as Ferran Soriano & Txiki Begiristain left the writing was on the wall.

If you were one of the best managers in the world at a club with the best ever club side with arguably the greatest player of all time would you walk if all was good behind the scenes?

FWIW Ronaldo Ronaldinho Xavi Puyol Iniesta & Messi are some of the greatest I’ve ever seen and they made you want to watch Spanish football but it’s been coming for a long time.

If Wonga were still about Barca would have used them to buy a player

• Site Supporter
37 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

I'd say Barcelona are the 2nd most exciting, glamorous and charismatic sports club there has ever been.People expect the best players to be at that stature of club and expect them to be well paid.

Yeh, Real Madrid 1