Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

• Members
7 hours ago, Traf said:

Merse has lost approx £7m gambling.

To put that into perspective the current UK average salary is just over £30k per year.

Merse has lost the equivalent of 230 years average salary or 5 men's whole career earnings.

In his book he said he once put £50k on a NFL game, had no idea how NFL worked and had never seen a game before.

Banning footballers for gambling was a great move but the advertising for gambling in football is unreal

• Members

I don’t gamble at all but I have a mate who loves gambling in the last 12 months he has placed £8555 worth of bets and has won £8621 

I worry about him because even though he is up all it takes is a few bad bets 

• Site Supporter

I can imagine it’s very easy to get addicted. I’ll bet stupidly low amounts on the Sunday afternoon games just to get my account to an even number but still get annoyed if my 87p bet doesn’t come in.

My big gamble day is Saturday - £5 on 5 games BTTS

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, Traf said:

To put that into perspective the current UK average salary is just over £30k per year.

Merse has lost the equivalent of 230 years average salary or 5 men's whole career earnings.

No, no, you’ve got it all wrong. The betting companies wouldn’t take all that money from one person because they give platitudes about how easy it is to stay in control and they tell us stuff like, “When the fun stops, stop!”

You get bombarded with betting ads and the likes on talkshite.

Better yet is when they try to talk about gambling issues and fail to address the particularly large Nellie in the room. 

Think the last time i gambled was playing pitch and toss when i was 13 and I'd be sulking like fuck after losing 50p. Not for me.

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

I don’t gamble at all but I have a mate who loves gambling in the last 12 months he has placed £8555 worth of bets and has won £8621 

I worry about him because even though he is up all it takes is a few bad bets 

Is he up by £8621 or £66?

10 hours ago, Traf said:

Mind blowing figures, particularly as he spent many of those years gambling also heavily into booze and drugs I'm surprised he's got anything and anyone left.

Each to their own but £8k a year is mind boggling to come out effectively flat. I will occasionally do a fiver acca and that will do me.

I did bet £100 while a bit pissy on Bayern coming back from a 2-0 deficit twice and that was enough for me. 1 win 1 lose. Won’t be doing that again. The loss outweighed the win in my head.

When I lived in Manchester I had a mate who bet thousands on dogs/horses and a loss didn’t move him in the slightest. Always kind of admired that.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, tomski said:

Each to their own but £8k a year is mind boggling to come out effectively flat. I will occasionally do a fiver acca and that will do me.

I did bet £100 while a bit pissy on Bayern coming back from a 2-0 deficit twice and that was enough for me. 1 win 1 lose. Won’t be doing that again. The loss outweighed the win in my head.

When I lived in Manchester I had a mate who bet thousands on dogs/horses and a loss didn’t move him in the slightest. Always kind of admired that.

Think it was Traf who said something along the lines of "only bet what you can afford to lose".

May not have been him, but either way, an annual go on the works sweepstake, or the occasional go on the lottery is it for me.

13 minutes ago, tomski said:

I made a decent living for it for a good number of years and it's all a numbers game. You have to treat it as a job. As soon as you beome emotionally involved, you're fucked, because it affects your rational thought process.

9 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Think it was Traf who said something along the lines of "only bet what you can afford to lose".

May not have been him, but either way, an annual go on the works sweepstake, or the occasional go on the lottery is it for me.

Yep, and only gamble what you're comfortable with losing.

I used to stake around £2-4k a week to generate an income of around £300-500, but I last placed a bet on 30th September 2019.

1 minute ago, Traf said:

I made a decent living for it for a good number of years and it's all a numbers game. You have to treat it as a job. As soon as you beome emotionally involved, you're fucked, because it affects your rational thought process.

Yep, and only gamble what you're comfortable with losing.

I used to stake around £2-4k a week to generate an income of around £300-500, but I last placed a bet on 30th September 2019.

Aye. Class what you did. I couldn’t do it. Similarly I can’t invest in high risk investments as I can’t stomach it.

• Members
57 minutes ago, tomski said:

It’s what @Zico spends on ale 

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Rudy said:

It’s what @Zico spends on ale 

from Jan-Jun this year, I was only £500 down on the same period last year

£900 down from Jul-Sep

last week was the first time I can remember going from Sun to Thurs with no booze

aiming to do the same this week

no chance next week when the match is on TV on Tuesday

small steps though

aiming to get below 6k this year

• Site Supporter

All this is really hard atm as I've 'lost' my son to gambling.

He doesn't speak to me as he says that I'm 'not there for him'.

What this really means is that I won't lend (give) him any more money to fund his gambling addiction.

If I give him any more money, in my eyes, I'm enabling his addiction but it's tough to handle as he's gonna be out on the streets because he's gambled his rent money on the footy, horses whatever.

I know that he's trying to make me feel guilty, the little sod, but until he's ready to quit voluntarily or via rehab, there's not a lot of hope for him.

It hurts me every time I see or hear a betting advertisement.