Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

2 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Think fa want first few rows boxes off all around make it hard like old Wembley and it hits clubs in pocket 

Problem then is like we’ve got now where club overreact and then start banning folk for disorderly behaviour like swearing and stuff. 

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Burnley will now go for a cheap(ish) up and coming manager. 

evatt and Richardson will be high on their list if they go down that route I reckon 

Critchley at Blackpool wouldn’t be a bad shout

• Members
1 hour ago, 1969 said:

Minutes silence incoming 

Aye, candle light vigil as well. Thank fuck they can't now get the quad, we would never have heard the end of it. I don't even think they'll get the treble.

46 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

When he was playing for us I was shocked that he could be in the championship.  But worst players criteria was re-written when we brought in a load of non league players 2 years ago.  None of the others I previously thought to be our worst ever come close, in my opinion.  No need to name names again, its been said many times, but because of them Trotter can only be the worst player at championship level I can recall (that played a significant number of games).

Maybe I'm looking through the lens if the level we were at ... but, honestly, I don't think so.

It's no coincidence that, at only 33 he's on the bench for a mid-table 5th level team.

Removing the Under 18 team from the list, most of even the poorer ones in our relegation year were better. But I am biased & accept I may be being unfair.

21 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Burnley will now go for a cheap(ish) up and coming manager. 

evatt and Richardson will be high on their list if they go down that route I reckon 

Within 1 season we could be a more attractive option that Burnley. There are plenty of concerns that they are a financial basket case, their parachute money will be spent on paying the contracts of the players that aren’t out of contract and still on Prem wages, they’ve not got the continuity that Dyche gave them last time etc. etc.

If we manage to go up next season, we’ll have bigger crowds, a better stadium, and be in a more stable financial position.

When you look at the Championship now, I genuinely don’t think there are many attractive clubs in there that would turn Evatt’s head. Obviously that changes if we don’t manage to go up, he’ll only stay in this league for so long, but I’m not concerned he’ll get poached this summer.

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Within 1 season we could be a more attractive option that Burnley. There are plenty of concerns that they are a financial basket case, their parachute money will be spent on paying the contracts of the players that aren’t out of contract and still on Prem wages, they’ve not got the continuity that Dyche gave them last time etc. etc.

If we manage to go up next season, we’ll have bigger crowds, a better stadium, and be in a more stable financial position.

When you look at the Championship now, I genuinely don’t think there are many attractive clubs in there that would turn Evatt’s head. Obviously that changes if we don’t manage to go up, he’ll only stay in this league for so long, but I’m not concerned he’ll get poached this summer.

I’m not saying he will leave I’m saying he may be high on their agenda. And as much as i can see your logic you also need to think it’s a job for him. He may be on 5k a week with us? He would get 5/6/+ times that’s at burnley. A 3 year deal and his family are set for life. Isn’t always about the football. 

and also as much as I love my club he’s got a significantly greater chance of getting to the prem with them than with us. 

all depends on what his drivers are which will only be found out if someone comes knocking. There’s also the fact the FV would demand compo which may sway their minds.

But there’s plenty of other candidates of young up and coming managers so hopefully he stays put  

54 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

They need to do a Stoke rather than a Fulham or Bournemouth.

Unfortunately they'll sell Tarkowski for a ridiculous amount (how overrated is he?) and added to parachute money and a decent squad for championship, they'll do well. 

But still great to see them down finally.  A bit jealous there are 5 "Lancs" teams in championship and we aren't 1 of them.

You do like to speculate! Wildly so, some may suggest. 

Are you actually aware of the rather strange financial situation Burnley are now in?

The Burnley fans who I know, who I add, do go and are rather worried about sinking like a stone. 

1 minute ago, Morizio said:

Are you actually aware of the rather strange financial situation Burnley are now in?

The Burnley fans who I know, who I add, do go and are rather worried about sinking like a stone. 

They have a £65 million loan that is payable immediately on relegation, it doesn’t look good for them. 

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

They have a £65 million loan that is payable immediately on relegation, it doesn’t look good for them. 

Not quite that I don’t believe. I believe there’s a repayment schedule that’s contingent on them being in the prem. On relegation x is due (not 65m) If they’re not promoted back in year one more of the 65m is to be repaid that year and so on . Bad but not certain death. The amount was always repayable in 2025 in full as well I believe. 

15 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Not quite that I don’t believe. I believe there’s a repayment schedule that’s contingent on them being in the prem. On relegation x is due (not 65m) If they’re not promoted back in year one more of the 65m is to be repaid that year and so on . Bad but not certain death. The amount was always repayable in 2025 in full as well I believe. 

Just checked and it’s not 65 million payable immediately on relegation but a significant undisclosed % of the 65 million. 

Just now, Mounts Kipper said:

Just checked and it’s not 65 million payable immediately on relegation but a significant undisclosed % of the 65 million. 

Aye it’s not good. Think one of the rags were saying it was 65m in full immediately. 

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

What goes around comes around. At some point in the next year or two we're going to overtake all those local clubs and give them a taste of what they've been missing. 1970s BWFC revisited - and we will have better gates than the lot of them next year despite being in the division below.

About 15 months ago we were 16th in league 2, they were 16th in the Prem.  3 full divisions separated us and its not long since they were in Europe.  We're one division below them now.  On gates, we may struggle to overtake them next season, they've already sold as many as we have and they've got the local derbies and bigger clubs to play.  But we're competing with them again instead of being miles behind like we were 18 months ago.

7 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

About 15 months ago we were 16th in league 2, they were 16th in the Prem.  3 full divisions separated us and its not long since they were in Europe.  We're one division below them now.  On gates, we may struggle to overtake them next season, they've already sold as many as we have and they've got the local derbies and bigger clubs to play.  But we're competing with them again instead of being miles behind like we were 18 months ago.

That surprises me. 

7 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

In Europe 

i think they played Aberdean 

1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

Critchley at Blackpool wouldn’t be a bad shout

What a job he's done.  Wasn't he close to getting the job here?  If Evatt and Critchley were the 2 front runners it shows decent foresight by Sharon etc.  Blackburn/Burnley could do worse than him or Richardson, or Duff at Cheltenham

1 hour ago, Morizio said:

Fair point, I thought Tarkowski must be under contract because its not long since they were talking £50mil or something ridiculous for him.  Which would cover a lot of debt, when added to parachute payments.  Hopefully their fears will be realised!  And no, I don't have a clue about their financial situation.