Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

Just seen the Port Vale Mansfield highlights. Vale looked a really good footballing side, as they did when we played them in the Papa John's. 3 very well taken goals and a lovely tribute to the managers recently deceased daughter.Ā 

Quite a turnaround reallyĀ 

Watched the away game last season on iPlayer and the commentators were in despair at the thought of potentially getting relegated to the conference such was their formĀ Ā 

Ā 

2 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

Just seen the Port Vale Mansfield highlights. Vale looked a really good footballing side, as they did when we played them in the Papa John's. 3 very well taken goals and a lovely tribute to the managers recently deceased daughter.Ā 

On yesterdayā€™s performance they looked a league above Mansfield, the stags just didnā€™t turn up.

19 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

That's fookin terribleĀ 

Horrific that isnā€™t it. Also shows the gate being shut behind him while thereā€™s obviously people with (and withoutā€¦) tickets wanting to get in. Numbers without tickets wonā€™t have helped, just as was the case at Wembley for the Euros, but youā€™ve got to feel for those with genuine tickets who got caught in the middle.Ā 

• Members
2 hours ago, Arrested development said:

Each to their own. But I'd prefer to not watch Real Madrid play like Burnley .

Does arrested development affect eyesight? If Burnley played like that they would be in next seasons Champions League.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, kent_white said:

Re Paris

French authorities + UEFA - It was the Liverpool fans misbehaving

Liverpool fans - it was poorly organised and the police were heavy handed

Kent applies Occam's razor - it was probably both

Ā 

Yep.

Chicken and egg job. Years of hassle by football fans (World over) creates dismissive, disrespectful, indifferent and aggressive policing.Ā 

Such policing creates disrespectful and aggressive behaviour in some fans.

Round and round they go.

Folk moan at the allocations but moan their clubs arent offering 300k a week to players.

Those sponsors and corporate wallies pay for those wages.

VVD is the most overrated player of this generation. Playing in a league with no proper strikers bar Harry Kane.

Kev Davies would've twatted him all over the show.

14 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Folk moan at the allocations but moan their clubs arent offering 300k a week to players.

Those sponsors and corporate wallies pay for those wages.

VVD is the most overrated player of this generation. Playing in a league with no proper strikers bar Harry Kane.

Kev Davies would've twatted him all over the show.

Tbf the likes of Rio, terry, Adams etc had to contend with 2 strikersĀ 

36 minutes ago, bwfcuk said:

Fair play to the lad he took it in his stride....and moved on....

some third party shitstirrer: "we've got you on video , you cunt"

some frog minger: "watch this" *blinds someone else*

Ā 

3 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

They were nothing like a Pulis team.

I just meant from a defensive organisational point of view, but you're right I shouldn't have bracketed them with a Pulis style (long throws, physicality, set pieces).Ā  I'd stand by that they are comparable to us under Allardyce in the Okocha/Djorkaeff era , an emphasis on trying to keep a solid defensive shape but with plenty of star quality too.

1 hour ago, bolty58 said:

Does arrested development affect eyesight? If Burnley played like that they would be in next seasons Champions League.

They wouldn't because they do play like that.Ā 

Ok so if they's the style of play you prefer, or at least admire, presumably you would prefer to see a Gary megson style team defend for 90 minutes and nick a 1-0 win, rather than an Ian Evatt style attacking team create loads of chances and win say 3-1.Ā 

I get why people appreciate it, but I can't fathom why you'd want to see your team set up to play deep and intentionally have less possession.........like Burnley.Ā 

5 minutes ago, Arrested development said:

They wouldn't because they do play like that.Ā 

Ok so if they's the style of play you prefer, or at least admire, presumably you would prefer to see a Gary megson style team defend for 90 minutes and nick a 1-0 win, rather than an Ian Evatt style attacking team create loads of chances and win say 3-1.Ā 

I get why people appreciate it, but I can't fathom why you'd want to see your team set up to play deep and intentionally have less possession.........like Burnley.Ā 

It is the best way to beat Liverpool they struggle with teams that set up that way, Ancelloti knew that and set his team up accordingly.

2 hours ago, Zico said:

This replyĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

Muppet. clearly the rest of his reply shows that he 'does think it's right what they did'.

Plenty research out there done in recent years to show that aggressive policing doesn't solve crowd problems. Last night was evidence of that.

Glad our cops don't behave like this. Definitely had a bit of help from the Tories by banning protests though šŸ˜†

18 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

It is the best way to beat Liverpool they struggle with teams that set up that way, Ancelloti knew that and set his team up accordingly.

Spot on, second half Madrid looked like they were playing with 4 centre halfā€™s at times. If ancelloti had gone toe to toe Liverpool would have won comfortablyĀ 

Real Madrid did what they had to do to win the game. I donā€™t think they have to worry about what blokes like us in England think when they are celebrating a trophy.

Fwiw I was genuinely neutral last night. Liverpool have had a good season. I despair Ā if we believe winning two trophies in a season is seen as poor. Should all be about winning trophies.

• Site Supporter
43 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Muppet. clearly the rest of his reply shows that he 'does think it's right what they did'.

Plenty research out there done in recent years to show that aggressive policing doesn't solve crowd problems. Last night was evidence of that.

Glad our cops don't behave like this. Definitely had a bit of help from the Tories by banning protests though šŸ˜†

Should have just let as many climb the fences as wanted too then. Sit back, chill the fuck out and wait for them to crush each other.

Of course, then that would be the fault of the authorities for doing nowt.

Oh, and don't worry, all the train and road gluers can descend on Edinburgh and cause as much disruption as they want. No one will be bothered, as they're all fucked up on class A substances, whilst St. Nicola plays the fiddle.

43 minutes ago, tomski said:

Real Madrid did what they had to do to win the game. I donā€™t think they have to worry about what blokes like us in England think when they are celebrating a trophy.

Fwiw I was genuinely neutral last night. Liverpool have had a good season. I despair Ā if we believe winning two trophies in a season is seen as poor. Should all be about winning trophies.

All boils down to jealousyĀ 

29 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Should have just let as many climb the fences as wanted too then. Sit back, chill the fuck out and wait for them to crush each other.

Of course, then that would be the fault of the authorities for doing nowt.

Oh, and don't worry, all the train and road gluers can descend on Edinburgh and cause as much disruption as they want. No one will be bothered, as they're all fucked up on class A substances, whilst St. Nicola plays the fiddle.

Targeting innocent bystanders with aggressive policing is wrong and counterproductive, whichever way you look at it. But do carry on...

Not sure what you're getting at with your Boltyesque ramble and generalisations in the last bit. We all know that they've been cracking down on these kinds of protests - contrary to your point that nobody gives a shit.Ā 

I'm not an expert in the money side of things - but I'd be very very surprised if policing protests costs the taxpayer even a fraction of what it costs to keep blokes from fighting week in week out at the football.Ā 

8 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

I'm not an expert in the money side of things - but I'd be very very surprised if policing protests costs the taxpayer even a fraction of what it costs to keep blokes from fighting week in week out at the football.Ā 

Itā€™s a hell of a lot more than a fraction. Policing protests comes from the public purse whereas stadium-specific policing is paid for by the clubs themselves.Ā