Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

15 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

I think they started booking players for taking their shirts off because some dickhead footballers were taking them off to reveal wanky messages written on a shirt underneath.

Ah that’s a different kettle of fish I suppose.

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

I think they started booking players for taking their shirts off because some dickhead footballers were taking them off to reveal wanky messages written on a shirt underneath.

Exactly, can you imagine Maclean’s t shirt message this week.

I thought I'd originally heard they banned players whipping their shirts off as the goal celebration moment gave the most exposure to the sponsor on the front and there was pressure on to not lose that marketing opportunity. Probably bollocks though, I believed anything I was told in my AMF days.

1 minute ago, Marc505 said:

I thought I'd originally heard they banned players whipping their shirts off as the goal celebration moment gave the most exposure to the sponsor on the front and there was pressure on to not lose that marketing opportunity. Probably bollocks though, I believed anything I was told in my AMF days.

This was what I read too.

25 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Far more plausible in my opinion.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, bolton va va said:

Simple solution there is for the ref just to use common sense and discretion. If there's a wanky message- then a yellow.

If its just a celebration with no message, or a harmless one to a new born maybe, then just get on with the game.

2 hours ago, Steejay said:

Exactly, can you imagine Maclean’s t shirt message this week.

I'd actually love him to do it. He gets plenty of stick anyway, but he'd get seriously hurt doing this and he's show the wider audience what a cunt he really is.

11 hours ago, Marc505 said:

Goes back to Robbie Fowler and his t-shirt in support of the striking dockers, doesn’t it?

Also if you watch Okocha’s goal against Boro on the last day, the message on his vest (‘Jesus loves you’ or some such) is pixelated out on the Arabic footage

10 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Simple solution there is for the ref just to use common sense and discretion. If there's a wanky message- then a yellow.

If its just a celebration with no message, or a harmless one to a new born maybe, then just get on with the game.

Stop the game for 3/4 minutes to find out what the message means ?

57 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Goes back to Robbie Fowler and his t-shirt in support of the striking dockers, doesn’t it?

Yep, I'm pretty sure that was the original reason, it was to stop political statements being made.

All a bit daft really, but rules are rules.  Anyone who can't resist the urge to act like a primary school child and remove an item of clothing fully deserves a yellow.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I'm sure refs are more intelligent than that.

Can't have fans being lauded for their "limbs" celebrations but players having to be rather sterile with their's. 

They don't have to be sterile, just don't take tops off 

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I'm sure refs are more intelligent than that.

Can't have fans being lauded for their "limbs" celebrations but players having to be rather sterile with their's. 

I’d rather they concentrated on reffing the game as at our level common sense is not a given. There are enough grey areas without creating another one.

• Site Supporter

PNE Vs Burnley today. Sky live game

Looking through that league there’d be some cracking games. Big clubs, few new grounds (for me), big cities, good London games.

And, more mouthwatering than all the above, some great local derbies. I so hope this time next year I’m looking forward to Blackburn, Burnley, PNE, Blackpool, Wigan  (in that order) rather than Accrington, Fleetwood and Morecambe (in that order)

• Site Supporter
22 minutes ago, desperado said:

Looking through that league there’d be some cracking games. Big clubs, few new grounds (for me), big cities, good London games.

And, more mouthwatering than all the above, some great local derbies. I so hope this time next year I’m looking forward to Blackburn, Burnley, PNE, Blackpool, Wigan  (in that order) rather than Accrington, Fleetwood and Morecambe (in that order)

I’d be happy if I never had to watch us play Wigan ever again.

3 hours ago, desperado said:

I agree.  Its one extreme to the other in terms of away ends/atmosphere.  Our local games are against some of the smallest clubs we've ever played in league games in our lifetimes, with their small away ends too.  The clubs you mention aren't just bigger clubs (yes, even Wigan) but have away ends that guarantee an atmosphere.  Throw in the likes of Huddersfield, WBA, Hull, any of the Sheffield clubs, Derby and/or Forest, Stoke etc, they are completely different games.  MK Dons and Cheltenham away just isn't cutting it!