Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

9 minutes ago, stevieb said:

60 seconds they needed to give it a rest. 

They lasted 24. 

Tbf,  listening to that, it could have been as few as 10 or 20 people out of 50,000+

During a minute's silence someone coughing from across the other side of the ground always sounds loud as fuck.

I hope those 10 or 20 people were made to feel like proper cunts bu those around them.

49 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Maybe, but we all knew they wouldn't manage it.

I remember years ago when we played at Old Trafford on a major Munich disaster anniversary. Lots of talk beforehand that we wouldn't respect the minute. We observed it impeccably. 

Folk can do it if they choose to- don't even have to believe in whatever the cause is, but showing simple respect and good manners costs nothing.

Can't excuse them, even if they are scouse. 

Twas 1998, Bob Taylor scored....

Highlighted sentence - spot on lad 👍

1 minute ago, DazBob said:

Tbf,  listening to that, it could have been as few as 10 or 20 people out of 50,000+

During a minute's silence someone coughing from across the other side of the ground always sounds loud as fuck.

I hope those 10 or 20 people were made to feel like proper cunts bu those around them.

Coughing or general noise isn't the same as shouting 'Liverpool' and general booing. 

I was at Hull away November 2008 when a load of pissed up whites came in singing Bolton songs during the armistice day silence. Was horrendous but it was accidental.

This wasn't accidental. 

Fuck em. On a par with celtic and McLean now for me. 

• Site Supporter

Missing the point.

Of course that song was regularly aired, but when it came to the big event respect was shown.

As an aside, I'm sure no members of the Royal family have thrown stones and bricks at the protestors at previous event neither.

These individuals who have no flavour for the Monarchy won't want to turn out for such events will they?

Where are their protests at Buckingham Palace every day?

Simply they chose the opportunity to exhibit themselves in the most vacuous manner possible, causing the most offence.

The Liverpool fc v the rest of the country thing is proper tedious now. 

LFC clearly have some whoppers and the scouse not English thing is childish but that said the furore from the other ‘side’ mainly cockneys from what I see is somewhat embarrassing too. Desperate for it to fail last night so could they have a pop. 

You can tell from the well pointed out fact that Wrexham didn’t follow suit and no one seems arsed in the comments above.

As for McLean the attention seeking tit he looks like he’s observing to me? Happy to be proven wrong. 

All will be old news next week anyway.

9 hours ago, stevieb said:

60 seconds they needed to give it a rest. 

They lasted 24. 

Yes it's not ideal ... But it's clear it's the minority. Only takes one or two fuckwits to ruin a minutes silence.

You've used that as an excuse to lay into the people who died & those who campaigned for justice. 

You couldn't even manage separating the two. Your comment is as bad as those morons shouting through the minutes silence. 

7 minutes ago, tomski said:

The Liverpool fc v the rest of the country thing is proper tedious now. 

LFC clearly have some whoppers and the scouse not English thing is childish but that said the furore from the other ‘side’ mainly cockneys from what I see is somewhat embarrassing too. Desperate for it to fail last night so could they have a pop. 

You can tell from the well pointed out fact that Wrexham didn’t follow suit and no one seems arsed in the comments above.

As for McLean the attention seeking tit he looks like he’s observing to me? Happy to be proven wrong. 

All will be old news next week anyway.

Sums it up for me.

Well said. 

49 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Missing the point.

Of course that song was regularly aired, but when it came to the big event respect was shown.

As an aside, I'm sure no members of the Royal family have thrown stones and bricks at the protestors at previous event neither.

These individuals who have no flavour for the Monarchy won't want to turn out for such events will they?

Where are their protests at Buckingham Palace every day?

Simply they chose the opportunity to exhibit themselves in the most vacuous manner possible, causing the most offence.

Course they don't - they rise above it. Which is in many ways why they are still so respected. That picture of the Queen at Phillip's funeral whilst the Toffs were partying sums it all up perfectly. 

The anti-monarchy protest is being organised for the Coronation. Which seems the most respectful way around it and the most democratic. So those with 'no flavour' for the Monarchy appear to be going the right way about it. We are talking about 2 or 3 lone numpties in Edinburgh and 10 in Liverpool. The protest won't achieve much though, whilst the Monarchy have a pretty dodgy past, the Queen has done a fantastic job of modernising and it is clear that the majority respect that. 

It seems to me that if you're desperate for the Royal Family to continue then you'll no doubt have your wish. A sad week yes, but a good time to be a Royalist. 

As for the Munich song - I'm not sure I am missing the point. What is the point of respecting a one-off event if afterwards you're regularly using the Munich slur when referring to United fans and singing it on the terrace. Surely those people are missing the point? 

But we respect the Queen, so of course we're better than the Scousers 👍 Makes no sense to me. 

Edited by London Wanderer

10 hours ago, stevieb said:

Coughing or general noise isn't the same as shouting 'Liverpool' and general booing. 

Of course it isn't, and I think you're missing my point.  My point being in a totally silent stadium, any sort of noise carries and sounds really loud.  Probably only 10 or, at the most 20, dickheads were intentionally breaking the silence last night ... out of over 50,000 people. So it's unfair, on this occasion*, to tar all Liverpool fans with the same brush.  The vast, vast majority observed it impeccably.

*Just on this occasion, mind.

6 minutes ago, Traf said:

I see the media glossed over the vocal minority at Liverpool by stating the silence was impeccably observed.

They're shit scared of upsetting the Scousers after Hillborough's aftermath.

A quick look at 5 papers and the only one I can see that glossed over it were the Mirror. 

The others were using words like respected by most etc. 

Which is what happened no? 10 or 20 out of 50,0000. Surely it would be wrong to suggest the fans didn't. Even the word minority would be too high for those numbers. 

Again, drama over nothing. 

Edited by London Wanderer

3 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

A quick look at 5 papers and the only one I can see that glossed over it were the Mirror. 

The others were using words like respected by most etc. 

Which is what happened no? 10 or 20 out of 50,0000. Surely it would be wrong to suggest the fans didn't. Even the word minority would be too high for those numbers. 

Again, drama over nothing. 

BBC / ITV / SKY

From the BBC ...

BBC Sport's chief football writer Phil McNulty reported that the vast majority of Liverpool supporters at a capacity Anfield observed a shorter period of silence impeccably, with one or two rogue shouts at the start of the tribute quickly shouted down before their fixture against Ajax.

12 hours ago, farnworth white said:

The minutes silence lasted around 24 seconds before the ref blew his whistle, I think he felt something simmering so called it early….and no National Anthem.

The no National Anthem was a Eufa directive - Rangers have told Eufa to Fcuk Off - they are singing it

16 minutes ago, DazBob said:

From the BBC ...

BBC Sport's chief football writer Phil McNulty reported that the vast majority of Liverpool supporters at a capacity Anfield observed a shorter period of silence impeccably, with one or two rogue shouts at the start of the tribute quickly shouted down before their fixture against Ajax.

On TV last night, they didn't mention any rogue shouts, they played a 3-second snippet of silence.

15 minutes ago, Traf said:

BBC / ITV / SKY

Daily Mail - Liverpool fans have generally observed tonight's minute's silence

BBC - See Daz Bob's post - seems pretty accurate. 

Sky haven't glossed over anything - they played the whole video as part of their coverage.

The vast, vast majority observed it. I don't know how else they are supposed to report that? 

People just want to see them fail. I see a Man City fb group were all over posting how much of a failure it all was. They were similarly hounded back in April for chanting during the Hillsborough memorial silence. Almost seems they were just looking to get back at them over this. It's fucked. 

No drama here. 10, 20 people.