Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

• Site Supporter
On 16/12/2022 at 09:18, DazBob said:

Whether he's a fat bin man cunt or not, he was one of the greatest goalkeepers of all time.

Big Nev did some work (publicity) for a shipping company and called in with the rep one day. He shook hands with me and it was like putting my hand in a turkey. It just disappeared in his.

His hands were so big.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

I was reading about this earlier. It seems the keeper picked up a flare/smoke bomb and lobbed it back into the crowd.

• Members
2 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Come on @bolty58

Whats the thoughts down there in Oz?

I must apologise mate - I put it in the 'Meanwhile in Istanbul' thread before seeing this. Mods feel free to merge/delete whatever your preference.

There is predictable outcry down here - especially from those who have always fought to keep 'wogball' from getting any sort of a foothold. They will make as much hay as they can from this particular 'sunshine'. I am talking AFL and RL bodies and their supporters.

Historically, football in Australia was run along ethnic lines until this was discouraged/frowned upon/banned some years ago. The names changed but the sentiments did not. One of these teams from the riot yesterday was the Greek mob, the other the Croatian. Riots back then were not uncommon but, since the ethnicity thing was discouraged few and far between. What has incensed all local football fans down here has been what is seen as an act of treachery by the footballing authorities by removing the right of the top team to host the post season 'playoffs' final and commit to having them all in Sydney (I think they have signed a commercial deal for three years - Perth White may be able to comment as I am more of a world game enthusiast and don't really take a lot of notice of the local stuff).

This decision put all fans on a war/protest footing for this weekends games so it was always going to take on a little thing for some of the hotheads to explode. I think the keeper who got the bucket smashed into his head threw a flare back in the direction of opposition fans behind his goal. That lit the fuse. 

Edited by bolty58

6 hours ago, bolty58 said:

I must apologise mate - I put it in the 'Meanwhile in Istanbul' thread before seeing this. Mods feel free to merge/delete whatever your preference.

There is predictable outcry down here - especially from those who have always fought to keep 'wogball' from getting any sort of a foothold. They will make as much hay as they can from this particular 'sunshine'. I am talking AFL and RL bodies and their supporters.

Historically, football in Australia was run along ethnic lines until this was discouraged/frowned upon/banned some years ago. The names changed but the sentiments did not. One of these teams from the riot yesterday was the Greek mob, the other the Croatian. Riots back then were not uncommon but, since the ethnicity thing was discouraged few and far between. What has incensed all local football fans down here has been what is seen as an act of treachery by the footballing authorities by removing the right of the top team to host the post season 'playoffs' final and commit to having them all in Sydney (I think they have signed a commercial deal for three years - Perth White may be able to comment as I am more of a world game enthusiast and don't really take a lot of notice of the local stuff).

This decision put all fans on a war/protest footing for this weekends games so it was always going to take on a little thing for some of the hotheads to explode. I think the keeper who got the bucket smashed into his head threw a flare back in the direction of opposition fans behind his goal. That lit the fuse. 

Thanks pal. Just been down a rabbit hole reading how the Oz clubs were formed based around the different immigrant communities. Never knew all this

Or that the first club formed were Wanderers

The Australian side qualified for the 1974 world cup finals.  The captain of that side wrote his autobiography and wanted to give it a title that reflected the hostility many Aussies had towards those who played football in their country. 

Sheila's, Wogs and Poofters is still in print and available! 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sheilas-Wogs-Poofters-Johnny-Warren-ebook/dp/B005TD42XY

‘Yesterday’s football’

Noticed Ipswich and Pompey lost (Pompey at home to MK Dons!) and Sheff Weds had their third draw in a row. It feels like the winter schedule is taking its toll and even the top teams can’t keep up the perfect form.

10 points behind Ipswich with a game in hand and still to play them at home and I can’t see that Plymouth won’t drop back to the pack at some point (apologies Green Genie if that’s a lazy opinion). With knowing what we’re like in the second half of the season, and with Derby and Barnsley starting to really kick on, I think it’s going to be a very very interesting second half to the season. Still think automatic is probably out of reach, but a few more slip ups from those teams at the top and I think the chasing pack will drag them back in.

• Members
44 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

The Australian side qualified for the 1974 world cup finals.  The captain of that side wrote his autobiography and wanted to give it a title that reflected the hostility many Aussies had towards those who played football in their country. 

Sheila's, Wogs and Poofters is still in print and available! 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sheilas-Wogs-Poofters-Johnny-Warren-ebook/dp/B005TD42XY

Their centre forward was a lad called Adrian 'Noddy' Alston from Preston. Got to know him really well through a 5 a side competition I played in for a few years in Wollongong which was mainly made up of NSL sides (now called the A League). This was late 80's and even then he believed that football would never really get a foothold here. A spike of interest after World Cup qualification then slips back into mediocrity in the face of fierce and hostile opposition from the two big codes down here.

Hoping things change but I'll believe it when I see it. They are a bit on the insular side like the yanks are with baseball and gridiron. 

Edited by bolty58

1 hour ago, MancWanderer said:

Thanks pal. Just been down a rabbit hole reading how the Oz clubs were formed based around the different immigrant communities. Never knew all this

Or that the first club formed were Wanderers

I recently heard about trouble in the cup final involving Sydney United who it turns out were formed by Croatians and some of their followers are pretty extreme.

I used to just assume that the teams were MLS style franchises but there's a lot of history behind them.

20 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

I recently heard about trouble in the cup final involving Sydney United who it turns out were formed by Croatians and some of their followers are pretty extreme.

I used to just assume that the teams were MLS style franchises but there's a lot of history behind them.

The A-League teams are more along the lines of MLS but the divisions outside of it are the 'original clubs', I think

• Members
13 hours ago, Marc505 said:

It was in 1988 when I took my young son to see Trevor Francis guest for Wollongong Wolves in an NSL game v Sydney Croatia. Robbie Slater was playing for the latter. Brandon Park has one massive grandstand and the other three sides are grass banks with no fencing around. We sat on the grass on the half way line about half way up the slope. To our right were a mob of Croatian fans (probably 800 to 1,000) setting off flares and waving sickles in the air. Cops would not go near them. At HT they decided to swap ends. I had to get my lad out of the way as they were lashing out at anyone and anything as they walked along the side towards the goal they would be attacking in the second half. Brandishing sickles and waving them at folk in a threatening manner as they passed.

These days it would be headline news and the media and authorities would be all over it. Them days it was par for the course and no one batted an eyelid. I was advised at work in Bulli the following Monday that they came tooled up to have it with the large Macedonian mob who were based in the Wollongong suburb of Cringila. Had plenty of run ins with the latter in football events and on Crown Street (main thoroughfare where they used to hang around at night to look for 'skippys' to have a go at) over the years. The worst it got was when they sliced off my American Vietnam vets nose in a disagreement in a night club over a flatdick and a bottle of champagne. He was alright eventually - a plastic surgeon in Sydney fashioned him a new nose using the yanks excess arse cheek material!

They had to remove the ethnic names etc. from football as there seemed to be an incident every weekend - particularly when Serb and Croatian clubs met or Greek and Macedonian. This recent incident is the first I can remember for a very long time.

20 hours ago, Eddie said:

‘Yesterday’s football’

Noticed Ipswich and Pompey lost (Pompey at home to MK Dons!) and Sheff Weds had their third draw in a row. It feels like the winter schedule is taking its toll and even the top teams can’t keep up the perfect form.

10 points behind Ipswich with a game in hand and still to play them at home and I can’t see that Plymouth won’t drop back to the pack at some point (apologies Green Genie if that’s a lazy opinion). With knowing what we’re like in the second half of the season, and with Derby and Barnsley starting to really kick on, I think it’s going to be a very very interesting second half to the season. Still think automatic is probably out of reach, but a few more slip ups from those teams at the top and I think the chasing pack will drag them back in.

Second half of the season is game on for us if we get it right.

1 hour ago, tomski said:

Second half of the season is game on for us if we get it right.

….and Barnsley and Derby and Wycombe. Suspect one of the four to be capable of a 50 point half season which looks like what is needed to get to 90 points for top two

unless our luck with 2-3 month injuries changes sharpish or we actually invest in January we’ll do well to reach it