Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

• Site Supporter
34 minutes ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Don't know what the fuck they want, I was on holiday with a train driver who was on 50K a year, fucking ludicrous.

Fuck em.

Train use had dropped off a cliff in covid and was still massively down afterwards.

This is just prolonging things and following will continue to find alternative ways of getting about.

Redundancies in the future seem inevitable.

6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Fuck em.

Train use had dropped off a cliff in covid and was still massively down afterwards.

This is just prolonging things and following will continue to find alternative ways of getting about.

For many there is no alternative

Unless you want to pay sky high city centre parking rates or with the introduction of ULEZ in London and similar proposed by Burnham

I get pissed off with the strikes but know if/when it's all over I'll still use them to the same level 

6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Fuck em.

Aaah, but part of gheir demands are "no compulsory redundancies'.

As someone who managed pay negotiations for 30 years in some pretty hard-nosed industries, let me tell anyone in earshot that any such undertaking isn't worth the paper it's written on.

They don't want to settle, they want a rumpus. It's really pissing them off that their industrial (in)action isn't having the impact they intend.

When not on strike they take coordinated sick absence. 16% last year. 

Wankers.

3 hours ago, Marc505 said:

If can just scrape past that Portsmouth away week without anything announced that would be a start

Aye, i've got hotel & match tickets booked but can't book any train tickets till next Wednesday in case of a strike........meaning if there's no strike, i've missed out on the early ,cheap tickets & if there is a strike, i'll have to cancel the hotel.

17 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

Aye, i've got hotel & match tickets booked but can't book any train tickets till next Wednesday in case of a strike........meaning if there's no strike, i've missed out on the early ,cheap tickets & if there is a strike, i'll have to cancel the hotel.

If effected by strikes you get a full refund 

43 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

If effected by strikes you get a full refund 

My trip involves train travel on 3 different days but a strike on any one of those days fucks everything up but you only get a refund for the day of the strike.

I've lost out on previous strikes when some trains were booked for & still running  but no use because connections were on strike !!!

3 hours ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Don't know what the fuck they want, I was on holiday with a train driver who was on 50K a year, fucking ludicrous.

Nothing to do with train drivers.

This is the RMT.

Doris who works in the ticket office on £10.50 an hour and Bert in the cafe on similar money, that's who they represent amongst others.

If she's on £400 a week, I'd be surprised and they think another £18 a week covers the increases in her outgoings?

Edited by Traf

57 minutes ago, Traf said:

This is the RMT.

Correct. He's thinking of ASLEF. The ones who, for over 10 years after Diesel trains took over Steam insisted the 'firemen' (who managed the boilers & put coal onto the engine fires) were kept in the Diesel cabs.

Been bastards for 70+ years & ain't stopping now.

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Correct. He's thinking of ASLEF. The ones who, for over 10 years after Diesel trains took over Steam insisted the 'firemen' (who managed the boilers & put coal onto the engine fires) were kept in the Diesel cabs.

Been bastards for 70+ years & ain't stopping now.

I did a Google search

There were plenty of firemen in earlier diesel days, among other things they were responsible for the steam heating boiler in diesels in the 20 years from introduction of diesel locomotives until electric train heating became widespread, and also fully overnight rosters had to be double manned. Even more than in steam days, with the right driver they would get some considerable experience of driving before the official conversion course came around.

So ASLEF were looking after the interests of their members rather than seeing 50% of every steam loco crew being made redundant following the withdrawal of steam and introduction of diesel and electric locos.

2 hours ago, Traf said:

This is the RMT.

Doris who works in the ticket office on £10.50 an hour and Bert in the cafe on similar money, that's who they represent amongst others.

If she's on £400 a week, I'd be surprised and they think another £18 a week covers the increases in her outgoings?

Actually it's worse, because to even take the paltry 2 lots of 4.5% offered, the RMT are being asked to agree to Doris & Bert being replaced by vending machines.

Think on, next time you're in a supermarket : don't use self serve tills. 

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Traf said:

Got me thinking 

What happens when prices go down across the board 

9 hours ago, MickyD said:

I did a Google search

So ASLEF were looking after the interests of their members rather than seeing 50% of every steam loco crew being made redundant following the withdrawal of steam and introduction of diesel and electric locos.

"Looking after their members" bit the bollox about them being useful is shite.

They largely read their papers & slept. In later years they took to turning up, signing in & fckg off. These are facts btw. It only ended as they retired ... usually with a pay-off to go. Initially ASLEF insisted on them being replaced !

You may see "looking after" as their role, but it's sinful, blackmail, wasteful & bullying in reality.

• Members
19 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

"Looking after their members" bit the bollox about them being useful is shite.

They largely read their papers & slept. In later years they took to turning up, signing in & fckg off. These are facts btw. It only ended as they retired ... usually with a pay-off to go. Initially ASLEF insisted on them being replaced !

You may see "looking after" as their role, but it's sinful, blackmail, wasteful & bullying in reality.

Hallelujah! Bang on. Unions need dismantling.

6 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Hallelujah! Bang on. Unions need dismantling.

Exactly- and when they say nurses need food banks to survive is the biggest shit I have ever heard. Some of them Two to three Costa Coffees a day at Worcester Hospital where I was going recently for a month up to Mum passing away; plus during the week there is that many staff they are falling all over themselves but hardly any over the weekends