Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Eidur Gudjohnsen

L/H White

He touches the ball a dozen times but my word what a pleasure to watch his control and style of play. The younger lads especially must learn a lot from him.

Stu Holden and Eidur joint managers of the future. I'd be bouncing.

• 6 years later...
7 hours ago, farnworth white said:

No doubt a proud night for Eidur last night.

2 of his sons came on as substitutes for Iceland and the oldest teed up his brother to score the 4th goal in a 4-0 win.

That's class. Didn't he get subbed on for his dad for his Iceland debut or is that someone else I'm thinking of? 

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Iceland has a population of 366,000.

Halved to men & women, obviously because I'm a trans-phobe, 183,000 males.

Between, say, 20 to 32, around 27,500.

Not that big a pool to fish in.

But, notwithstanding all that, Bravo to the junior Eidur's 👏👏👏👏👏

1 in 3 Icelandic males played for Bolton in the 90s

On 4th March 1977 Stretford AC were preparing for their first track season in the top tier of the British Athletics League.

At an indoor meeting at RAF Cosford I was sitting at the tea bar with the head coach of Loughborough Students. Would I be interested in an Icelandic sprinter, the national record holder at 100m, 200m and 400m, oh and he's also their decathlon champion? [Is the Pope a Catholic?]

When he was available he ran for us in 100m, 200m and 4x400m relay and also did the shot put and discus throw to help us to a narrow victory at home. He missed the next match because of international commitments and then suffered a serious leg injury in Bulgaria. He certainly never competed for us again - in fact I don't think he ever did compete again, although what I think may have been a younger brother became Icelandic javelin recordholder. I didn't know about the naming system there, but I now believe he may have been the son of Iceland's first Olympic medallist (1956 TJ silver).

3 hours ago, MalcolmW said:

On 4th March 1977 Stretford AC were preparing for their first track season in the top tier of the British Athletics League.

At an indoor meeting at RAF Cosford I was sitting at the tea bar with the head coach of Loughborough Students. Would I be interested in an Icelandic sprinter, the national record holder at 100m, 200m and 400m, oh and he's also their decathlon champion? [Is the Pope a Catholic?]

When he was available he ran for us in 100m, 200m and 4x400m relay and also did the shot put and discus throw to help us to a narrow victory at home. He missed the next match because of international commitments and then suffered a serious leg injury in Bulgaria. He certainly never competed for us again - in fact I don't think he ever did compete again, although what I think may have been a younger brother became Icelandic javelin recordholder. I didn't know about the naming system there, but I now believe he may have been the son of Iceland's first Olympic medallist (1956 TJ silver).

We've not had an athletic anecdote for ages, nice one.

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Apart from fishing and geothermal energy, what is there to do in Iceland?

No wonder a lot of then are good with a football.

Market gardening is massive. All the greenhouses are heated by geothermal energy. They even grow bananas!

10 hours ago, MickyD said:

Market gardening is massive. All the greenhouses are heated by geothermal energy. They even grow bananas!

I remember some time back reading/watching a thing that said that if the Sun suddenly disappeared, then life on Earth would be fucked apart from (i) deep sea fishes (as though the oceans would freeze down to a large depth, geo-heat would keep the lower bits liquid) and (ii) people in Iceland, who assuming they had enough notice, could live in domes heated by same as long as they organised shipping in solidified air from the outside surface. Plus they'd win the WC every four years, or at least they would until a team from Neptune turned up (their fans are banned after species-ist chanting away at Pluto).