Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Qatar World Cup

kent_white

1 minute ago, Marc505 said:

I watched some urban explorers do a video from there didn't realise its all just still there crumbling away, very strange.

I mean surely meetings could be arranged in the likes or Munich, Dusseldorf and Hamburg?! 😃

Sounds a good plan. I’ve been putting the ground working. It gives me some goals to aim for!!!

6 hours ago, DazBob said:

I think it's also down to how much football is on TV these days too.  In World Cups we used to see amazing players we'd only ever heard of, or in some cases never even heard of.  That simply doesn't happen any more.

Exactly - plus there was also the fact you were promoting that country. Danny Baker made the point a while back, that back in the day a "friendly" was often exactly that. So breaking down barriers - I' sure there was an England v East Germany many, many moons ago that did (or tried to do) that. If you go back to the 70s it was a novelty to see a live colour broadcast from somewhere far away. To some extent that continued until cheap extensive travel and youtube meant that nobody needs to "learn" about somewhere else and their players now - as you say, half of them are playing here anyhow. Single country tournaments do make it easier for travelers, but it'll continue to be just about money. For example Saudi's $40B dollar bid for 2030 propping up Egypt and Greece.

Saudi Arabia to bid $40 billion for FIFA 2030 World Cup - Arabian Business

13 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Might do a Sweepstake....

payment into your Peg's paypal account again?

... and Olliemong says, if he wins can you not fuck about delaying him getting his winnings this time.

Edited by DazBob

• Moderators
On 20/10/2022 at 15:48, L/H White said:

very interesting watch

Got me thinking 

If you're a bummer in Qatar or anywhere where it's illegal, your best bet would be to get caught then go and have a free for all with all the rest of them in prison 

Unless they chop your head off instead, then you just move elsewhere 

19 hours ago, Big E said:

Watched this today. Very good. I quite like Neville. 

The exploitation of workers is criminal. Makes me not get why people go to dubai etc even more.

I watched it a few weeks back. Didn’t they (Qatari officials) say the numbers had been massively over inflated and there were just a few deaths? 

Edited by royal white

17 hours ago, Zico said:

Got me thinking 

If you're a bummer in Qatar or anywhere where it's illegal, your best bet would be to get caught then go and have a free for all with all the rest of them in prison 

Unless they chop your head off instead, then you just move elsewhere 

There were bummers all over the gaff in Dubai.

They dont give a fuck unless you're Muslim.

If you're western and white with loads of cash you can do what the fuck you want.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, gonzo said:

There were bummers all over the gaff in Dubai.

They dont give a fuck unless you're Muslim.

If you're western and white with loads of cash you can do what the fuck you want.

Yeah, meant the local bummers 

Though from that Neville documentary it still sounds like it'll be a massive pain in the arse to get on it in Qatar 

• Members

FFS, the levels of FIFA hypocrisy know no bounds. Apparently they have just released a statement saying the it is the football which should be concentrated on in Qatar and not 'social and political' issues. Asking for restraint on any sort of demonstration of these issues (read 'virtue signalling') and concentration on sport.

Mind boggling hypocrisy. They have been trumpeting these issues (racism, homophobia, sexism etc.) for years but now, as their corrupt decision to award a World Cup to Qatar  looks like it might blow up in their faces, it's 'sport without politics please' (as it always should be IMO) all of a sudden.

I hope it's a shambles for FIFA, the FA and its puppet woefully under achieve and Infantino has to resign in shame.

I have always looked forward to World Cups with increasing excitement as they got closer. Not this time - couldn't give a fuck in truth but I will be watching hoping for a debacle which will embarrass FIFA.

5 hours ago, bolty58 said:

FFS, the levels of FIFA hypocrisy know no bounds. Apparently they have just released a statement saying the it is the football which should be concentrated on in Qatar and not 'social and political' issues. Asking for restraint on any sort of demonstration of these issues (read 'virtue signalling') and concentration on sport.

Mind boggling hypocrisy. They have been trumpeting these issues (racism, homophobia, sexism etc.) for years but now, as their corrupt decision to award a World Cup to Qatar  looks like it might blow up in their faces, it's 'sport without politics please' (as it always should be IMO) all of a sudden.

I hope it's a shambles for FIFA, the FA and its puppet woefully under achieve and Infantino has to resign in shame.

I have always looked forward to World Cups with increasing excitement as they got closer. Not this time - couldn't give a fuck in truth but I will be watching hoping for a debacle which will embarrass FIFA.

Cant disagree with any of that. Plus on the the actual football side players are dropping like flies already, imagine the list of injured star players afterwards. The TV giants and football leagues wont like their product being diluted mid season.

The FA already showed their hypocritical nature allowed a country to buy a football club in Newcastle and sportswash itself to the west.

Like you say I hope its a shambles. Imagine the atmospheres in the ground? 50,000 tea towels with a smattering of 'away' fans.