Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Qatar World Cup

kent_white

Wouldn't be too bad if I could get any apps to work what's needed to get about, I'm constantly getting warnings of scammers trying to get into my ipad and sites asking for codes, but they don't tell you where the codes are.  It's a minefield, Trafs been a great help, but I'd love to know how a 70yr old would be able to navigate through all this stuff?   My mate uses his phone to ring folk, text and WhatsApp, utter ball ache.  I'm trying my best to get through it, sick of pestering others to help who's been.

• Site Supporter
On 02/11/2022 at 17:06, gonzo said:

Might do a Sweepstake....

If you do, and there's any available I'll have one and will donate any winnings to Papyrus. I think FIFA, the FA and the rest have sold out, and I don't intend watching it. World Cup in November? Alienating a fair percentage of fans and having a worse human rights record than Neil Hart CEO?

And if any from FIFA wants to come to ours and discuss it he will get a kick up the arse.

25 minutes ago, donkeyshorn said:

Agree with the sentiment but where do you draw the line?

Our nation deals with Saudi, China and other folk with equally bad human rights issues.

Our tourists flock to Dubai every single day.

We buy petrol by the gallon load.

The World Cup shouldn't be there, its wrong, but theres plenty of other stuff thats wrong too. Newcastle, City, PSG etc being used to sportswash is as equally bad.

Its their country they can do what they want. But they should fuck off trying to dip their fingers into the west.

51 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Agree with the sentiment but where do you draw the line?

Our nation deals with Saudi, China and other folk with equally bad human rights issues.

Our tourists flock to Dubai every single day.

We buy petrol by the gallon load.

The World Cup shouldn't be there, its wrong, but theres plenty of other stuff thats wrong too. Newcastle, City, PSG etc being used to sportswash is as equally bad.

Its their country they can do what they want. But they should fuck off trying to dip their fingers into the west.

Very well put. It shouldn’t be there for reasons of common sense more than anything. They’re clearly a backwards country with terrible human rights, but the ability of the media and the public to cherry pick which shit country to be appalled by and when does make me laugh.
It’s like the yanks going nuts about LIV golf (which granted does seem a bit shit) because it’s funded by Saudi money - whilst conveniently ignoring that the Saudis are one of America’s biggest customers. 

• Moderators
On 05/11/2022 at 07:15, donkeyshorn said:

Same with lineker 

He says he's prepared to piss of Qatar by talking about human rights whilst doing the studio punditry over there 

Or they could just not go 

Like when he's been tweeting about climate change and avoiding unnecessary flights 

Well the bbc don't need to fly out 20 pundits to discuss football in a studio  

They could do that over here 

Hypocrites 

Lineker just likes to sound right on without knowing what he's on about 

Eg 

4 minutes ago, Zico said:

Same with lineker 

He says he's prepared to piss of Qatar by talking about human rights whilst doing the studio punditry over there 

Like when he's been tweeting about climate change and avoiding unnecessary flights 

Hypocrites 

Correct, there's no need for BBC/ITV/Sky to send hundreds of people out there, when they could cover it from their UK studios.

1 hour ago, Zico said:

Same with lineker 

Hypocrites 

Eg 

Did he ever take in a refugee like he said he would do?

25 minutes ago, DazBob said:

It'd be a great statement for BBC and ITV to broadcast from the UK.

Would anyone really complain if they weren't actually in Qatar with a desert backdrop behind them?

They should do a mock studio with real life camels 🐫 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Traf said:

Correct, there's no need for BBC/ITV/Sky to send hundreds of people out there, when they could cover it from their UK studios.

aye, it's not just the pundits, there's a whole load of people that need to be out there

in between punditry, he could go and live with the migrant workers in there shanty towns rather than receive 5 star hospitality from the qataris

2 hours ago, Zico said:

aye, it's not just the pundits, there's a whole load of people that need to be out there

in between punditry, he could go and live with the migrant workers in there shanty towns rather than receive 5 star hospitality from the qataris

FIFA control the 'live' feed, so the coverage of the game is same the world over.

Eurosport used to commentate remotely for all events from a couple of portakabins in Fleetwood.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Traf said:

FIFA control the 'live' feed, so the coverage of the game is same the world over.

Eurosport used to commentate remotely for all events from a couple of portakabins in Fleetwood.

aye, meant to say "that don't need to be out there"

I get the commentators, but that's about it

Lineker used to work for Al Jezeera but I don't think he flew out to a studio in Qatar every week to do that work

20 minutes ago, gonzo said:

They just read the Brazil sqaud on the radio.

Fuck me sideways.

They're struggling :)

Goalkeepers: Alisson, Ederson, Weverton.

Defenders: Dani Alves, Danilo, Alex Sandro, Alex Telles, Bremer, Eder Militao, Marquinhos, Thiago Silva.

Midfielders: Bruno Guimaraes, Casemiro, Everton Ribeiro, Fabinho, Fred, Lucas Paqueta.

Attackers: Antony, Gabriel Jesus, Gabriel Martinelli, Neymar, Pedro, Raphinha, Richarlison, Rodrygo, Vinicius Jr.

27 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Defenders: Dani Alves, Danilo, Alex Sandro, Alex Telles, Bremer, Eder Militao, Marquinhos, Thiago Silva.

Midfielders: Bruno Guimaraes, Casemiro, Everton Ribeiro, Fabinho, Fred, Lucas Paqueta.

Attackers: Antony, Gabriel Jesus, Gabriel Martinelli, Neymar, Pedro, Raphinha, Richarlison, Rodrygo, Vinicius Jr.

Their full-backs aren't the best but the rest of the squad is filled with quality

.                   Alisson

Dani Alves, Silva, Marquinhos, Telles;

.           Guimares, Casemiro;

Antony,         Neymar,       Vinicius;

.                      Jesus

24 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Dreading seeing the England squad. The one in-form CB - and bear in mind Southgate said he would pick people on form - is Tarkowski and he's ain't going.

I bet he sticks with Flathead.

Is Tarkowski in form I've not seen much of him? He has the best average rating over the last 12 months of all our CB options according to sofascore but not sure how reliable that is.

It's actually a really difficult selection for GS this tournament because he probably wants to pick centrebacks that have the most experience playing together so they have some cohesion, which is probably, Walker, Maguire, Stones.

But Walker's injured, Maguire has been out of form for a while and Stones also injured. But both City players will probably be fit in time for Qatar. And Maguire has always done well for England to be honest.

I've seen lots of calls for Tomori to get picked, not seen any calling for Tarkowski till now. Ben White also been doing well at right back for Arsenal but could he slot into a new-look back 3 with the other non-injured/in form players?

Doubt GS would go for White, Dier, Tomori/Tarkowski in a back 3 who have never played together, when he could stick to what he knows in a big tournament. He might change one of his usual selection at most. So Walker, Dier, Stones?

18 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Their full-backs aren't the best but the rest of the squad is filled with quality

.                   Alisson

Dani Alves, Silva, Marquinhos, Telles;

.           Guimares, Casemiro;

Antony,         Neymar,       Vinicius;

.                      Jesus

Paqueta is a starter apparently, how you fit them all in I don't know.

I think I'm actually looking forward to watching a Brazil team play for the first time since Germany 06.

2 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

Firmino didn't even make the cut. That's how much attacking talent they have.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Traf said:

Firmino didn't even make the cut. That's how much attacking talent they have.

Plus 6 midfielders and 9 forwards 

You don't see that often, normally the other way round  

4-2-4 I reckon