Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Qatar World Cup

kent_white

46 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Go on...

OK.

OK. There are many aphorisms, often quite ancient, which are in every day usage. Someare used with little knowledge of their origins and ... a little like misheard lyrics in music ... are misused.

Examples are 'A damp squib' - 'a damp, or wet, squid'.
'To be specific' -  'to be pacific.
'A scape goat' - 'an escape goat'.

There are many, many of these.

Some people use the wrong ones in complete ignorance. Some use them ironically.

So, when I referred to Southgate's great squad reveal as being 'a wet squid' that was deliberately using the incorrect term ironically & I'd bet the bulk of people saw it as such.

Being corrected is a sort of post-ironic faux pas. You corrected me on it.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

OK.

OK. There are many aphorisms, often quite ancient, which are in every day usage. Someare used with little knowledge of their origins and ... a little like misheard lyrics in music ... are misused.

So, when I referred to Southgate's great squad reveal as being 'a wet squid' that was deliberately using the incorrect term ironically & I'd bet the bulk of people saw it as such.

I suspect "complete ignorance", but if you want to pretend you were being "ironic", fair enough.

15 hours ago, gonzo said:

Talksport trying to make a full day out the sqaud announcement.

Zero chance Madison makes the sqaud.

Zero Chance Wilson makes it either.

Its Southgate, the sqaud picks itself. My dog could name it.

As the kids say, this aged well. :)

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

OK.

Did tell you not to 😀

• Members
1 minute ago, L/H White said:

Why?

You know full well why. When he concentrates solely on football which is what he is paid to do then all well and good. That is what I expect to see from the manager of our national team - every effort to bring success for the long suffering fans.

Whilst he is a Black Lives Matter, LBGTQ alphabetti spaghetti (or whatever the fuck it is these days), equality and diversity eco warrior, he can go fuck himself for my money along with the virtue signalling fat controllers at FA HQ.

For the first time ever in my life, I do not want England to do well at a major footballing tournament. Out at the group stage would not upset me (won't happen). This does not sit well with me but I will console myself with other wins for England in the lasses RU, the mens RL and the T20 World Cups.

Justice for the majority (who pay for everything).

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, bolty58 said:

wins for England in the lasses RU, the mens RL and the T20 World Cups.

And England in the World Cup. Any other viewpoint IMO, despite all the noise about Qatar/Southgate, doesn’t make sense for any proud Englishman.

Edited by desperado

2 hours ago, bolty58 said:

You know full well why. When he concentrates solely on football which is what he is paid to do then all well and good. That is what I expect to see from the manager of our national team - every effort to bring success for the long suffering fans.

Whilst he is a Black Lives Matter, LBGTQ alphabetti spaghetti (or whatever the fuck it is these days), equality and diversity eco warrior, he can go fuck himself for my money along with the virtue signalling fat controllers at FA HQ.

For the first time ever in my life, I do not want England to do well at a major footballing tournament. Out at the group stage would not upset me (won't happen). This does not sit well with me but I will console myself with other wins for England in the lasses RU, the mens RL and the T20 World Cups.

Justice for the majority (who pay for everything).

Prime Bolty. Not racist. Not xenophobic. Just him. Justice for the majority - so long as it’s white, middle class, heterosexual…