Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Qatar World Cup

kent_white

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, stevieb said:

I'm genuinely expecting half full stadiums for most games 

Either that or a lot of disinterested 'fans' who just want to earn enough money to go home. 

One thing is for sure, there won't be a load of piss tanks sat in Qatar right now regretting their decision to go

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Zico said:

Maybe, though I don't think being able to drink in the ground was a deciding factor in anyone going 

Anyone shelling out is going purely for the football 

Which is why no one is going 

Which is why they are paying migrant workers to pretend to be fans

Of course, but it is part of the package for some. Wouldn't bother me- a couple of drinks and out into the heat afterwards and I'd be spannered. 

45 minutes ago, royal white said:

Just read that there’s a comedian called Joe Lycett who’s  going to shred 10k if Beckham doesn’t pull out of his multi million pound deal with Qatar 🙄

Comedian is generous 

Said if Beckham backs down he'll give it to charity 

If not he'll shred it

Just give it to charity, nobody wins by shredding it apart from maybe the number of his Twitter followers and his ego

It's all a bit KLF thinking would he actually shred the money

14 minutes ago, Zico said:

One thing is for sure, there won't be a load of piss tanks sat in Qatar right now regretting their decision to go

The fact Big E hasn't gone for 80% of the games speaks volumes. 

Edit... Not calling him a piss tank but he's done every fucking tournament to death since 2014. 

It's either his morals for Qatar have kicked in or the wife has got him cushion shopping

Edited by stevieb

1 hour ago, radcliffe white said:

Really? Haven’t heard nothing until the last week or so with gays piping up

The gays piping up 🤣

can you really blame them? I can see the cringiness off folk pretending to be angry on their behalf. But if you're gay and love football then why not have a moan about what's happened? 

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Moaning and no action. Not a thing.

Major nations could have said fuck off, we're not going there.

Instead mealy mouthed soundbites to sound right politically.

That's why it's so wrong now. Too late, so just get behind the team.

Totally agree with this bit TMJ. It's up to Fifa and the major nations to do more.

Disagree that there has been no action. From day one NGOs and other groups have been pushing for the decision to be reversed. There have also been huge awareness raising campaigns from journalists to uncover what has happened. Nowt wrong with folk sharing or talking about this. Has it made a difference to Qatar? maybe not enough if they're still paying the security staff 35p an hour. But conditions for the workers were improved and right now we're seeing money being raised for the families of those that died. 

I also think that Fifa will be under more pressure in the future with who they award a World Cup to and countries will have to do more to get a chance. Maybe we will see it shared more between countries to avoid the carbon footprint and worker exploitation. I think there's a genuine chance of things improving from now on in. 

Yes many will make a point on social media and not be taking action. Who cares. Are the folk having a meltdown every time an Albanian arrives doing anything about it?

As a nation we tend to give a shit about things like workers rights and being tolerant. No harm in that and probably why excitement for this WC is at an all time low. 

13 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

The gays piping up 🤣

can you really blame them? I can see the cringiness off folk pretending to be angry on their behalf. But if you're gay and love football then why not have a moan about what's happened? 

Some are, however it’s not gone the way many had hoped. 

1 minute ago, London Wanderer said:

Totally agree with this bit TMJ. It's up to Fifa and the major nations to do more.

Disagree that there has been no action. From day one NGOs and other groups have been pushing for the decision to be reversed. There have also been huge awareness raising campaigns from journalists to uncover what has happened. Nowt wrong with folk sharing or talking about this. Has it made a difference to Qatar? maybe not enough if they're still paying the security staff 35p an hour. But conditions for the workers were improved and right now we're seeing money being raised for the families of those that died. 

I also think that Fifa will be under more pressure in the future with who they award a World Cup to and countries will have to do more to get a chance. Maybe we will see it shared more between countries to avoid the carbon footprint and worker exploitation. I think there's a genuine chance of things improving from now on in. 

Yes many will make a point on social media and not be taking action. Who cares. Are the folk having a meltdown every time an Albanian arrives doing anything about it?

As a nation we tend to give a shit about things like workers rights and being tolerant. No harm in that and probably why excitement for this WC is at an all time low. 

They’re probably cracking on and saying let’s respect the country where we are going too. Their land their laws. 

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

As I said, no one did anything. NGOs can moan and complain but achieved nothing. 

Football authorities did nothing, and neither did governments.

Once the corruption had been revealed, governments should have been pressuring their own FAs and could have got together so no-one was going alone. But nothing. 

So stop pressuring the players now and show them respect. Don't make them the front for the inactions of others  

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

As I said, no one did anything. NGOs can moan and complain but achieved nothing. 

Once the corruption had been revealed, governments should have been pressuring their own FAs and could have got together so no-one was going alone. But nothing. 

So stop pressuring the players now and show them respect. Don't make them the front for the inactions of others  

Did you hear the guy on the QT panel? Basically saying Harry Kane needs to speak out about what’s going on in Iran. Do you think Harry Kane has much idea of what’s happening over there? 

• Site Supporter
Just now, royal white said:

Did you hear the guy on the QT panel? Basically saying Harry Kane needs to speak out about what’s going on in Iran. Do you think Harry Kane has much idea of what’s happening over there? 

I don't watch QT.

The same person will probably be on his soap box if the team exit early. Talking about lack of preparation and professionalism.

Dunno what HK knows, but his only concern now should be scoring goals.

Harry Kane does well not to dribble in his interviews.

I'd be happy if he gets the golden boot and does zero interviews.

At this stage it's a football tournament. Turn up and play the game. 

If you were so arsed about the human rights and all of that the time to boycott it was in the qualifiers and no one did.

Fifa are the corrupt cunts here. Not the players for not talking out on the current thing. 

10 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Couldn’t agree more with that last bit👍it’s not on the players and they shouldn’t be brought into it now. It’s a brutal journey to the top and they’ve every right to ignore the politics and embrace the opportunity.

NGOs have every right to voice their views. Even if they didn’t get it switched, compensation for the families is an achievement in itself. Would it not also be an achievement if it impacted future decisions?

• Members
7 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

Aye they meet every Saturday morning to topple a statue.

Never get bored of that Colston footage ❤️

No surprises there then.

You must be enjoying this complete and utter shit show involving everything it seems but the football. FIFA has been a den of iniquity ever since they removed Sir Stanley. If he, or someone like him, was at the helm right now, all questions of a political nature would be blanked with "We are here to play football, nothing more nothing less. If you want to discuss politics go and find politicians". Of course there is no way a World Cup would be starting in November in Qatar if the right leadership had been in place.

Infantino has shown himself to be a petulant child who should never have been anywhere near the position he holds. Amnesty International poking their oar in. The alphabet mob whingeing. Beer bans.

All we need now is some of your cuntish lot gluing themselves to camels and we'll have the full set.

Roll on 2026 and hopefully a return to some sort of sanity.

1 hour ago, royal white said:

Of course they would, that’s why they want them back/have them training there every year. Their land their laws 👍

Welcomed with open arms I’m sure 😂 do the public have a choice? Heard the royals were well received in Jamaica ❤️

Faslane up in Scotland, doesn’t mean it’s welcome.

Edited by London Wanderer