Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Qatar World Cup

kent_white

• Members
3 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

Looks like they’ve bottled it on armbands

I was really hoping to see a yellow card brandished at the kick off and then see the captain having to walk on egg shells (sorry, kneel on egg shells) for the 90 odd minutes.

They always seem to let me down.

Maybe St. Gary will go the whole hog in the studio.

Armband, t-shirt with message, leather open backed chaps, badges everywhere. Cockring ... he's only short of the ring, of course.

Another hour's fckg self absorbed lecture en-route I guess.

Maybe better to get stuck into Iran murdering women for wearing a scarf wrongly Gaz.

Edited by Dr. Feelgood

I only hope England start off with a convincing performance and don't underestimate Iran.

Woman on the radio this morning saying that the Iranian football team hadn't done enough in support of the protestors at home - unlike other Iranian athletes - so many Iranians will be at the games supporting England, Wales and the USA rather than their own team. The fans will be chanting the name of the first young girl who was killed - Mahsa Amini. who was only 22 when she was killed on the 22nd of November so the number 22 has become symbolic of the protests.

So far 58 young people have been killed since then.

4 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Meant to be a good side Iran, quite solid and defensive.

Expecting a tight hard fought win. Excitement levels: not even had a wash yet today.

Taremi-Azmoun-Jahanbakhsh is a very good front 3 for a team of Iran's level

.... and, to the football we have Southgate selecting his favourites. Maybe that's right. Pick those who have stood by your side through thick & thin rather than those being on top form for the moment.

Maguire though is a bench-warmer in Salford. Sterling similarly in West London. Neither of these have shown worthwhile form for two years. Saka & Foden have. It's time for Sterling, at least, to prove why this makes sense.

Edited by Dr. Feelgood

39 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Not really bottled it - FIFA have said the players will face sanctions. The FA were happy to pay any fine.

Another fuck up by FIFA.

I am looking forward to the headexploding on twitter when they take the knee though.

They’ve chosen football > virtue/politics

if they were authentic, they would have either not gone or challenged FIFA by wearing the armbands.

BBC need to be careful here. They can't make every broadcast like this going forward it'll turn people off. I'm with them and I understand what they're doing but at some point they need to crack on. As said yesterday they should have boycotted going there if they were going to be this outwardly critical of it all.

I don't remember them spending 50% of each broadcast hammering Putin for murdering people on UK soil or for invading Crimea last time round.

And then when ITV begins its coverage we'll start again.

3 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

BBC need to be careful here. They can't make every broadcast like this going forward it'll turn people off. I'm with them and I understand what they're doing but at some point they need to crack on. As said yesterday they should have boycotted going there if they were going to be this outwardly critical of it all.

I don't remember them spending 50% of each broadcast hammering Putin for murdering people on UK soil or for invading Crimea last time round.

And then when ITV begins its coverage we'll start again.

Agreed - it's getting sanctimonious already.

Meanwhile..

May be an image of outdoors, palm trees and text that says "This is is why you don't put Chistmas lights on palm trees."

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Lineker never did this when the Qataris paid him to do Al Jazeera punditry

anyway, it's all just another reason why Qatar should never have had the tournament in the first place

but they have, and we get it, so let's get on with the football from here on in