Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Qatar World Cup

kent_white

6 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

He said they shouldn’t have bottled it, but worn the armband, see if FIFA sanction them (yellow) and then not do it for the 2nd match.

Then they’ll get the message across loud and clear and would have been authentic.

Not having it then bale starts the game on a yellow then risks getting sent off ? Then is World Cup is over over an arm band. 

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

The pressure was put upon them by themselves.

'Yeah, I'll wear the armband. It will make it look like I really care about the issue, and make me an hero. My employer will pay the fine. Whats that ? I may be get a yellow ? oh, I don't care THAT much about the cause'.

Yes, a fair point. I do feel though that the pressure which is applied to players via social media, TV, press etc must get through. It is easier for players to go along with it, rather than stand up and say I'm here to play football and not to do the bidding of others.

Anyway, Wales not up to much so far. Septics started well, crisp passing and running. Great goal too.

18 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

He said they shouldn’t have bottled it, but worn the armband, see if FIFA sanction them (yellow) and then not do it for the 2nd match.

Then they’ll get the message across loud and clear and would have been authentic.

Exactly that. 

It's either a point of principle or it's not and it's been exposed today as empty symbolism.

3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Form out of the window. Passion will lift the Welsh. 

Should be better than them, but I see it as the biggest risk for us.

We’ll see in due course. By then we should have qualified with 6 points and they will need to win. Could be another comprehensive victory. They look dreadfully short of quality.

1 minute ago, royal white said:

D3B69FDB-700D-4B6E-AEFA-33E23F8C1DE5.thumb.jpeg.1c9de59e45593ff49f8939517f3bc527.jpeg

Hes right but it wasnt the players decision ultimately.

Kane wouldve worn it. The decision was taken away from him.

The only ones to blame are FIFA for backing down at the last minute. Same way they did for sales of alcohol.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, royal white said:

D3B69FDB-700D-4B6E-AEFA-33E23F8C1DE5.thumb.jpeg.1c9de59e45593ff49f8939517f3bc527.jpeg

They don't start on a yellow though do they Jon?

In game diving etc is gamble that sometimes pays off.

Just shows the folly of it all: players can't win once they get embroiled in it. Stay clear, say nowt and let the feet do the talking.

6 minutes ago, royal white said:

Sorry you can’t start the game on a yellow if that’s the punishment. Bales World Cup would be over now after he got booked . You can say he wouldn’t have made the challenge if he had been on a yellow but that means he can’t make a challenge for 90 minutes . Once that decision was made they couldn’t wear it .  
Roy kean says all sorts if he was the manager of Ireland in the World Cup he would of told them to remove it after all he is over there now taking the money like the rest of itv and bbc 

6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

They don't start on a yellow though do they Jon?

In game diving etc is gamble that sometimes pays off.

Just shows the folly of it all: players can't win once they get embroiled in it. Stay clear, say nowt and let the feet do the talking.

Exactly; football or virtue/politics

3 minutes ago, royal white said:

Did anyone say they would be booked for sure? I know it was said they could be but that’s not would be. 

Maybe Keane could have been the Guinea pig 😬

FIFA said 100% sporting sanctions.

FA said they'd have taken the fine but couldn't risk it the rest.

3 minutes ago, royal white said:

Did anyone say they would be booked for sure? I know it was said they could be but that’s not would be. 

Maybe Keane could have been the Guinea pig 😬

Rob page said so in the interview before kick off on itv . Said he couldn’t risk it said something like it would be ridiculous for a player to go out there on a yellow