Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Qatar World Cup

kent_white

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Had I been half decent at football, perhaps I could have put my name forward, and bollocks to any genuine nationals of that nation.

When Jason McAteer was selected by Jack Charlton to play for the Republic of Ireland it was by virtue of having a Northern Irish grandfather. He was similar Links with Wales & I'm sure there was some Scotchish thing too. He was, of course English, having been born to English parents in Birkenhead.

The day he joined up with Charton's squad was the first time he'd stepped foot on the island of Ireland.

Even that was closer than Cascarino's shout.

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I'm aware of her status. Interestingly, she adopted the nationality of the nation she was raised in.

As did sterling. 

Cash on the other hand hasn't changed his nationality, and has taken (understandably) an opportunity to play at the world cup by virtue of spurious sporting rules. Certainly not chosen to stick with the plot of land his grandfather came to, but the one he left. 

Don't blame him, if he can get a game, go for it, but it makes a mockery of nationality. 

How far do you go back- I've got Welsh, Irish and Scottish ancestry not so far back, in grandparents and great grandparents. 

Had I been half decent at football, perhaps I could have put my name forward, and bollocks to any genuine nationals of that nation.

The nationality rules have been silly for ages, I'm thinking of Ireland's World Cup squad of Englishmen with grandmothers in Cork.

I don't blame Cash at all. I do wonder, if his Polish grandfather was on his dad's side (and therefore a born and raised English lad with a surname like Kaczszynski rather than Cash), if it would 'come across' differently.

I ponder this as my surname is definitely NOT English, but I'm Bolton through and through... and I'd definitely be eligible to play for Ukraine. If I was good enough, I'd pick England and enjoy hearing journalists struggle with the six-consonant start to my surname. If, like Matty Cash, there were many better English players ahead of me, I'd have no problem picking my second option as I do have a strong affinity with both nations... I would just have to brush up on the language a bit more!

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, TM Trotter said:

The nationality rules have been silly for ages, I'm thinking of Ireland's World Cup squad of Englishmen with grandmothers in Cork.

I don't blame Cash at all. I do wonder, if his Polish grandfather was on his dad's side (and therefore a born and raised English lad with a surname like Kaczszynski rather than Cash), if it would 'come across' differently.

I ponder this as my surname is definitely NOT English, but I'm Bolton through and through... and I'd definitely be eligible to play for Ukraine. If I was good enough, I'd pick England and enjoy hearing journalists struggle with the six-consonant start to my surname. If, like Matty Cash, there were many better English players ahead of me, I'd have no problem picking my second option as I do have a strong affinity with both nations... I would just have to brush up on the language a bit more!

Great post

Good to see you have strong feelings about both your home town and historical roots 👏

• Moderators
2 hours ago, jmjhb said:

Croatia look like a team very much on the wane

I know they got to the last final at our expense, but ever since France 98 they always seem to be a team with some decent aging players and the rest you've never heard of

• Moderators
2 hours ago, TM Trotter said:

Mattępstwa Cash