Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Qatar World Cup

kent_white

Maguire was winning everything to be fair, USA had a spell of consecutive corners 2nd half and he was getting to them all, made a cracking slide tackle late on too, only thing I didn't like about him tonight was him and Stones passing to each other far too much, slowing out play down.

Dest skilled him 1st half but he recovered and got a block in.

• Members

It was all so highly predictable. I took 4.50 the draw and 7.10 a US win. An under rated US team and an over rated England team; euphoria about beating what most believed would be the weakest in the group comfortably breeding a bit of over confidence (just read L/H White and Gonzo recent posts for proof) and the past World Cup finals history between the two. The clues were there if you were able to take off the rose tinted spectacles for a moment. Kane unlucky not to win it at the end though.

The big boys to come in the knockout stage. Doesn't bode well does it? At least now the game against Wales will not be a dead rubber and hopefully a similar result for England to the Iran game - a victory by 4 goals or more would be lovely and I can see it happening off what we have seen in the last couple of days.

34 minutes ago, Didledee said:

Maguire was winning everything to be fair, USA had a spell of consecutive corners 2nd half and he was getting to them all, made a cracking slide tackle late on too, only thing I didn't like about him tonight was him and Stones passing to each other far too much, slowing out play down.

Dest skilled him 1st half but he recovered and got a block in.

Aye. That was just after I said he was shite.

47 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

It was all so highly predictable. I took 4.50 the draw and 7.10 a US win. An under rated US team and an over rated England team; euphoria about beating what most believed would be the weakest in the group comfortably breeding a bit of over confidence (just read L/H White and Gonzo recent posts for proof) and the past World Cup finals history between the two. The clues were there if you were able to take off the rose tinted spectacles for a moment. Kane unlucky not to win it at the end though.

The big boys to come in the knockout stage. Doesn't bode well does it? At least now the game against Wales will not be a dead rubber and hopefully a similar result for England to the Iran game - a victory by 4 goals or more would be lovely and I can see it happening off what we have seen in the last couple of days.

This..spot on. I’ll add when Maguire is up against a proper player be prepared for the worst. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

I’ll repeat what I’ve said every World Cup since 1966. We had a boring 0-0 draw against Uruguay in the first match of the tournament. We then went on to win it.

The fact that I’ve said it so many times since and we haven’t won it shows that it’s pretty meaningless really. 
Keep the faith👍

9 minutes ago, wiggy said:

We were completely outplayed by a team that included players from Fulham, Leeds and Norwich. Plus a Rangers reject. I don’t think it’s unfair to have expected a bit more from us tonight. 

Plus one from Chelsea who was well up for it

It was frustrating and didn't understand bringing Henderson on 

But there was lots of stray passes and felt whilst I wasn't getting the razor blades out it was a poor performance 

• Members
8 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Well, no. One of our forwards near the centre circle was still kneeling after the kick-off.

Pathetic. Timing was right off. What would George Floyd think ?

I missed that. No doubt Southgate and Bullingham will be working hard over the next few days to iron out such flaws before the Wales game. Surely they would want us to be world champions at this sort of stuff?