Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Qatar World Cup

kent_white

Just now, MickyD said:

When did Bale take on Roy of the Rovers mantle?

Don't know but that's how he was described by a commentator apparently. Hyperbole seems to be the norm now, saw CR described as having proved he is the Goat with his performance this week, I thought he was shite.

When he almost single handedly dragged them through to the last two Euros before this one, I guess.

He's nowhere near that same level now, but pointless suggesting he wasn't one of the best players in the world for a spell.

Edited by Marc505
My football geekery isn't what it once was.

7 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

When he almost single handedly dragged them through to the last two Euros before this one, I guess.

He's nowhere near that same level now, but pointless suggesting he wasn't one of the best players in the world for a spell.

That's fair, he was one of the best players in the World for a spell but now that gets spun to demigod who can't be stopped. I'm happy the commentary team here are fairly reserved but some of the things quoted from English telly are ludicrous.

Edited by perth_white
Now not *know

6 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Quite.

What I do find baffling though is when Ramsey is mentioned in the same sentence so often.

3 minutes ago, perth_white said:

That's fair, he was one of the best players in the World for a spell but now that gets spun to demigod who can't be stopped. I'm happy the commentary team here are fairly reserved but some of the things quoted from English telly are ludicrous.

There's a lot of hanging on to past glories going on in this tournament, feels a bit like a changing of the guard one this. Suppose Messi, Ronaldo, Bale etc could explode in the remaining games but it just doesn't seem like they'll get much joy in open play against current international teams.

3 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Quite.

What I do find baffling though is when Ramsey is mentioned in the same sentence so often.

I don't get that either, can't see where he's ever been anything better than decent in his career?!

Watching Aus v Tun in a bit of a hungover daze from last night's fiasco. Difficult to criticise Southgate give his record, but that performance will give hope to any team prepared to put the work in against us regardless of their quality.England's attitude sucked and that's down to Southgate.

Thought the two ex BWFC lads were excellent despite having SFA to do, but England were slow in thought, movement and execution and totally bottled it - and we still haven't beaten the USA in the World Cup.

Sure we should still qualify, but it would have been so much better to get the job done last night and use the Wales game to rest players and try new things.

Appalling.

None of the big names have done anything of note and TBH I've enjoyed the outstanding effort, workrate teamwork and attitude of the "lesser lights" like Iran, Saudi Arabia, and Japan far more than the egos.

The media should be paying ore attention to those attributes than the lazy ponces

3 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

None of the big names have done anything of note and TBH I've enjoyed the outstanding effort, workrate teamwork and attitude of the "lesser lights" like Iran, Saudi Arabia, and Japan far more than the egos.

The media should be paying ore attention to those attributes than the lazy ponces

Absolutely loved the way Japan went about their business 

8 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Watching Aus v Tun in a bit of a hungover daze from last night's fiasco. Difficult to criticise Southgate give his record, but that performance will give hope to any team prepared to put the work in against us regardless of their quality.England's attitude sucked and that's down to Southgate.

Thought the two ex BWFC lads were excellent despite having SFA to do, but England were slow in thought, movement and execution and totally bottled it - and we still haven't beaten the USA in the World Cup.

Sure we should still qualify, but it would have been so much better to get the job done last night and use the Wales game to rest players and try new things.

Appalling.

I think you underestimate the standard of USA players and the job they did on us.

It really is so difficult to up the tempo against a set up like who bossed our central midfield. We just couldn't get the ball upfield quick enough. We weren't allowed to.

We are missing that ball carrying midfielder. 

It wasnt great viewing. But got to give credit to USA. They looked fitter and stronger and nulified us completely.

• Site Supporter
14 hours ago, jmjhb said:

So, same as after the Scotland game in the Euros last year?

And?

Totally irrelevant. It was an extremely unprofessional performance that many had paid significant money to watch. 

Results can be excepted, but not a level of attitude and performance like that. The fa should give every fan his or her money back.

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

And?

Totally irrelevant. It was an extremely unprofessional performance that many had paid significant money to watch. 

Results can be excepted, but not a level of attitude and performance like that. The fa should give every fan his or her money back.

Jesus Christ 🤣 

10 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I think you underestimate the standard of USA players and the job they did on us.

It really is so difficult to up the tempo against a set up like who bossed our central midfield. We just couldn't get the ball upfield quick enough. We weren't allowed to.

We are missing that ball carrying midfielder. 

It wasnt great viewing. But got to give credit to USA. They looked fitter and stronger and nulified us completely.

I didn't underestimate them amigo - they did a job on us by having exactly the work rate, attitude and teamwork I love. My disappointment was in England failing to match their effort. As Evatt often says, you've got to earn the right to play attractive football - and England didn't.

13 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

And?

I agree totally 😄

The last 2 tournaments England have had set backs in both, losing to Belgium and drawing 0-0 to Scotland, but we have bounced back in both, with Wales having to go for it, I can see a lot of space and a lot of counter opportunities for England which might see us score many goals again and get back some optimism.

Have to play quicker and not have Stones, Maguire, Shaw and Trippier playing safe football and passing it to one another, also either Rahford or Grealish for Sterling, Foden for Mount and Trent for Trippier (who I think's not playing great, made mistakes v Iran too)

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Didledee said:

Have to play quicker and not have Stones, Maguire, Shaw and Trippier playing safe football and passing it to one another

Serious question, have you watched Bolton this or last season? That’s pretty much our playing style and the reason we have around 65-70% possession.

1 minute ago, perth_white said:

Great result for Australia and now the unofficial national anthem "Down Under" plays, good times.

An outstanding performance from another former Wanderer Aaron Mooy. TBH he played better for his national team than he does for the Hoops. Classiest player on the park.

6 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Serious question, have you watched Bolton this or last season? That’s pretty much our playing style and the reason we have around 65-70% possession.

True but there's a still a lot of times where Santos will just ping it long, not saying England should do that but I'd like us to quicken it up or take more risks(not hospital balls though) and try and play it to Rice and Bellingham, yesterday almost all the time when Maguire passed to Shaw, Shaw would have his body facing Maguire as he received it (even if he got on the half turn, Sterling was playing almost like an inverted winger so there wasn't really a ball down the line), he would then just pass back to Maguire, and then onto Stones, then onto Trippier, then back to Stones etc.

I love possession football, however that to me last night was far too safe and far too slow, 56% of the ball yesterday for England and I'd guess most of that was from our defence, for a lot of that game our highest man Kane was on half way.

Slow play, low energy and pretty much just a flat performance, still created 3 or 4 good chances, we saw in the first 10 minutes with the Kane chance what we can do when we played it to Bellingham, he linked well with Saka and he found Kane before an excellent block, if that went it, maybe we see a different game, not too fussed about the result, the performance though was the reason why people are a bit miffed, especially when you have Foden not involved, pretty baffling really, he's world class, he's played about 25 mins in 2 games.

46 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

And?

Brilliant 😂 Spoken like a proper Sargent. 

I’m sure Gareth will have them taking a good hard look at themselves this morning.