Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Qatar World Cup

kent_white

41 minutes ago, royal white said:

How would you define being classed as  world class

Id say world class is being the first name on the teamsheet for the arguably the best team in the world at the moment playing for one of the best managers.

He could play in any league, for any team and any country. Hed get in to most first 11s in world football.

Theres world class but then for me theres the elite, with your Haalands, Mbappes and Kachungas.

The media, as they do, have decided all that shite would have been avoided if Foden had been on ... even as a sub.

This will be the case until he's tried & is anonymous. Then the meeja will find another simplistic solution. It'll be Madison next I suppose. Meanwhile "World Class' Bellingham, at 19, is suddenly last night hoiked & no fuss at all.

Will anyone dare suggest Kane needs a rest ? Or Mount, less unthinkable but still would challenge Southgate. Or point out that Sterling hasn't really played well for two years.

34 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

Probably not

Highlights how people see things differently and no one is right or wrong. Not many would say Gazza was world class before the WC, he then had a good WC and everyone was talking about him as the best in the world. At club level he didn’t really do that much. But a good WC in 90 and euros in 96 and many have him as the best English player ever. 

3 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

I think the commentators forget that the Saudi team is basically a club side with 9 of their starting 11 playing for the Asian Champions League winners Al-Hilal - of course they know each other.

"Internationally, Al Hilal have won a record eight Asian Football Confederation trophies – the AFC Champions League in 1991, 2000, 2019 and 2021, the Asian Cup Winners Cup in 1997 and 2002, and the Asian Super Cup in 1997, 2000. In September 2009, Al Hilal was awarded Best Asian Club of the 20th Century by the IFFHS."

Isn’t that a takeaway on Chorley Old Road?

2 hours ago, leigh white said:

Could have been worse and called a jam tart.😀

Careful now 😄

4 minutes ago, royal white said:

Highlights how people see things differently and no one is right or wrong. Not many would say Gazza was world class before the WC, he then had a good WC and everyone was talking about him as the best in the world. At club level he didn’t really do that much. But a good WC in 90 and euros in 96 and many have him as the best English player ever. 

Quite.

I really like Foden and I hope he gets his chance in this competition.

• Site Supporter
40 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

Quite.

I really like Foden and I hope he gets his chance in this competition.

Indeed. But not rejected straight away if he doesn't reach genius class.

Don't think it mattered who started last night- the whole approach was wrong and they were all plodding.