Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Qatar World Cup

kent_white

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, gonzo said:

You're not world class playing for Spurs, Lazio and Rangers.

Pele played for Santos and New York Cosmos.

We had the Gazza debate a while ago.

I honestly think if you were 16-25 in 1990 you have a different opinion of Gazza than everyone else.

It’s not about who you played for, what you had done, what you went on to do. It’s about what you did in that moment of time. As a 16 year old in 1990, I’d never seen an English player take on the rest of the world and change the fortunes of a nation.

The fact that he reinvented himself (albeit in a much lesser form) and did It again in 1996 was fucking brilliant.

Still my favourite and most talented England player I’ve ever seen.

World Class 

• Members
14 hours ago, perth_white said:

Great result for Australia and now the unofficial national anthem "Down Under" plays, good times.

Did not want this. The bloke next door said to me this morning, "How's that then matey? We beat the best team from Mediterranea". WTF? As you might guess, he is an AFL fan whose favourite put down is "What's the difference between Aussie Rules and 'soccah'? Soccah is played with the outside of the head, Aussie Rules with the inside". :roll:

I must take the positives. Denmark have to win their last group game now and, unless I am totally and utterly wrong (Nob In Crawley, he say yes), are infinitely better than Australia. I fucking well hope so or it would become unbearable.

• Members
14 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

Brilliant 😂 Spoken like a proper Sargent. 

I’m sure Gareth will have them taking a good hard look at themselves this morning. 

Will he fuck. He'll be drilling them on pre match virtue signalling and correct armband etiquette.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Really? A battling performance so fair play but nothing more than that surely?

Come on Denmark!

On this I have to agree with you. Never want the Aussies to do well in any sporting contest.

However, I’m a passionate Englishman, who will always want England to win and all our sporting rivals to lose 😊👍

• Members
7 hours ago, L/H White said:

And he played the flute in front of Celtic fans (politics in football all them years ago eh)

Stop being silly now R. You know full well that the particular political 'conflict' you refer to had such undertones at least 50 years before Gazza was even born. Yes, politics in football so long ago which you seem to be condoning - or at least using as a justification for the Southgate/Bullingham bollocks.

• Members
5 hours ago, BobyBrno said:

I saw Maradona at Wembley in 1980. No one can argue that he was world class. I’ve also seen George Best in his pomp. This may upset some people but Best was better. Don’t shoot the messenger. 

No bullet from me matey. I'd have them on par as the best two I have ever seen play. Pele a close third. the latter is the only one who didn't fritter away much of his talent through booze or illicit drugs. The other two didn't campaign on the subject of erectile dysfunction either :D

• Members
10 minutes ago, desperado said:

On this I have to agree with you. Never want the Aussies to do well in any sporting contest.

However, I’m a passionate Englishman, who will always want England to win and all our sporting rivals to lose 😊👍

Me too - not anything. Gloating winners and spiteful losers. They support every fucker against England so why not pay back in kind? Same goes for Scotland, Ireland and Wales.

With you on the second sentence too with the exception of Southgates signallers. Hammer Wales and then I just don't care after that. First time ever in my life so well done Bullingham and Southgate.

This could well mean England might win the whole thing? Don't think so.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Me too - not anything. Gloating winners and spiteful losers. They support every fucker against England so why not pay back in kind? Same goes for Scotland, Ireland and Wales.

With you on the second sentence too with the exception of Southgates signallers. Hammer Wales and then I just don't care after that. First time ever in my life so well done Bullingham and Southgate.

This could well mean England might win the whole thing? Don't think so.

I’m hoping you change your mind and can put the politics to one side.

You’ve always been a passionate and positive BWFC and England fan - don’t let politics get in the way.

I’m sure you know deep down that from a football perspective it can only be BWFC and England.

I’m pissed up (again, 2 nights on the trot 😂) so I’m off to bed now. 

Come on England and come on BWFC (and Denmark 🤣) 👍

Looking forward to the next couple of weeks, which has the unusual combination of England and Bolton games 👏

• Members
9 minutes ago, desperado said:

I’m hoping you change your mind and can put the politics to one side.

You’ve always been a passionate and positive BWFC and England fan - don’t let politics get in the way.

I’m sure you know deep down that from a football perspective it can only be BWFC and England.

I’m pissed up (again, 2 nights on the trot 😂) so I’m off to bed now. 

Come on England and come on BWFC (and Denmark 🤣) 👍

Looking forward to the next couple of weeks, which has the unusual combination of England and Bolton games 👏

Just said to the missus this morning mate - 'I usually hate it when a World Cup ends and desperately longing for the football season to restart. Going to be very different this time around. It will be June, July and early August next year which will be a pain in the arse'. Still, great times ahead and hopefully a stellar second half of the season for the Whites.

Looking forward to watching Brazil again today. Might this one be their 'wobble'?

1 hour ago, desperado said:

Pele played for Santos and New York Cosmos.

We had the Gazza debate a while ago.

I honestly think if you were 16-25 in 1990 you have a different opinion of Gazza than everyone else.

It’s not about who you played for, what you had done, what you went on to do. It’s about what you did in that moment of time. As a 16 year old in 1990, I’d never seen an English player take on the rest of the world and change the fortunes of a nation.

The fact that he reinvented himself (albeit in a much lesser form) and did It again in 1996 was fucking brilliant.

Still my favourite and most talented England player I’ve ever seen.

World Class 

If you judge Gazza on his whole career then of course he doesnt compare to the modern players. His suspect temperament contrastimg with today's players who generally have their professionalism moulded into them as children. 

Not one other English player before or since would have even tried that goal against Scotland in 96, never mind pull it off. 

1 hour ago, bolty58 said:

Really? A battling performance so fair play but nothing more than that surely?

Come on Denmark!

Maybe. I had had a few scotches and was happy they got a win.

It must be pretty grim hating Australians so much and living here. Each to their own I suppose but I generally find Aussies good to be around, sort of agree with you about AFL fans as they seem to despise actual football.

Edited by perth_white
Addition of *with you*

1 hour ago, bolty58 said:

Did not want this. The bloke next door said to me this morning, "How's that then matey? We beat the best team from Mediterranea". WTF? As you might guess, he is an AFL fan whose favourite put down is "What's the difference between Aussie Rules and 'soccah'? Soccah is played with the outside of the head, Aussie Rules with the inside". :roll:

I must take the positives. Denmark have to win their last group game now and, unless I am totally and utterly wrong (Nob In Crawley, he say yes), are infinitely better than Australia. I fucking well hope so or it would become unbearable.

Rent free living.

• Site Supporter

Last 16 fixture dates

Last 16

Saturday, December 3

• Match 49: Winners Group A vs Runners-up Group B (3pm)
  • Match 50: Winners Group C vs Runners-up Group D (7pm)

Sunday, December 4

• Match 52: Winners Group D vs Runners-up Group C (3pm)
  • Match 51: Winners Group B vs Runners-up Group A (7pm)

Monday, December 5

• Match 53: Winners Group E vs Runners-up Group F (3pm)
  • Match 54: Winners Group G vs Runners-up Group H (7pm)

Tuesday, December 6

• Match 55: Winners Group F vs Runners-up Group E (3pm)
  • Match 56: Winners Group H vs Runners-up Group G (7pm)

Quarter-finals

Friday, December 9

• Match 58: Winners of Match 53 vs Winners of Match 54 (3pm)
  • Match 57: Winners of Match 49 vs Winners of Match 50 (7pm)

Saturday, December 10

• Match 60: Winners of Match 55 vs Winners of Match 56 (3pm)
  • Match 59: Winners of Match 51 vs Winners of Match 52 (7pm)

Semi-finals

Tuesday, December 13

• Match 61: Winners of Match 57 vs Winners of Match 58 (7pm)

Wednesday, December 14

• Match 62: Winners of Match 59 vs Winners of Match 60 (7pm)
  • Third/Fourth place play-off

Saturday, December 17

• Losers of Match 61 vs Losers of Match 62 (3pm)

Final

Sunday, December 18

• Winners of Match 61 vs Winners of Match 62 (3pm)

• Members
5 hours ago, perth_white said:

Maybe. I had had a few scotches and was happy they got a win.

It must be pretty grim hating Australians so much and living here. Each to their own I suppose but I generally find Aussies good to be around, sort of agree with you about AFL fans as they seem to despise actual football.

:rofl: 'Hating'? You have the wrong end of the stick old son. I'll put it down to the after effects of the scotches. Loads of Aussie mates with which I have some seriously good banter. One is a possibility to become the commissioner of police and we have a right go at each other and he absolutely loves it. In my experience, they don't like 'poms' who simply and limply just 'take it'. They love it when you give them some back. Respect.

Did you ever live over east? Savage over there when I came in the late 80's. Allowed me to develop a finely tuned response. The Aussies you know actually want England to win from time to time do they (at anything)? I have yet to meet one. I also have plenty of Scottish, Irish and Welsh friends down here and it's the same relationship with them. Note this next bit - they give it, I pay back in kind. I have found that this is the best path to take.