Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Qatar World Cup

kent_white

6 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

:rofl: 'Hating'? You have the wrong end of the stick old son. I'll put it down to the after effects of the scotches. Loads of Aussie mates with which I have some seriously good banter. One is a possibility to become the commissioner of police and we have a right go at each other and he absolutely loves it. In my experience, they don't like 'poms' who simply and limply just 'take it'. They love it when you give them some back. Respect.

Did you ever live over east? Savage over there when I came in the late 80's. Allowed me to develop a finely tuned response. The Aussies you know actually want England to win from time to time do they (at anything)? I have yet to meet one. I also have plenty of Scottish, Irish and Welsh friends down here and it's the same relationship with them. Note this next bit - they give it, I pay back in kind. I have found that this is the best path to take.

Glad you're enjoying it here, your posts sometimes suggest that you are firmly anti Aussie but looks like I've read too much into that.

I have just moved back from Brisbane, lived there for 4 years but I worked in a very culturally diverse environment and it would be fair to say very few non immigrants. Come to think of it my experience here has been minesites, Pilbara and Brisbane (pandemic and flood years) without actually engaging all that much with society in general so I'll bow to your greater experience.

I'm pretty quiet and reserved, not really a give it out sort of a guy. One memory stands out a little, a boss of mine hates football and wasn't shy about telling me but one morning he couldn't wait to tell me he'd seen Campo score from long range against Liverpool(? I think), so they can be converted.

• Members
55 minutes ago, perth_white said:

Glad you're enjoying it here, your posts sometimes suggest that you are firmly anti Aussie but looks like I've read too much into that.

I have just moved back from Brisbane, lived there for 4 years but I worked in a very culturally diverse environment and it would be fair to say very few non immigrants. Come to think of it my experience here has been minesites, Pilbara and Brisbane (pandemic and flood years) without actually engaging all that much with society in general so I'll bow to your greater experience.

I'm pretty quiet and reserved, not really a give it out sort of a guy. One memory stands out a little, a boss of mine hates football and wasn't shy about telling me but one morning he couldn't wait to tell me he'd seen Campo score from long range against Liverpool(? I think), so they can be converted.

Fair play mate - yes, I have converted quite a few! There are a few down here who eagerly seek out our results and class themselves as BWFC fans. A few have stayed at the Whites Hotel and been to games with me when I have been over so, as you say, they can be converted. To reverse an Aussie phrase I have heard many times ("Have you had the meat pie inserted?") you can take it that I have been able to administer a few pastie barms over the years. We have a few fans around the Wollongong area now and also a few in Melbourne. Obviously most in Perth. I get regular messages from them - especially when we have had a good result. I believe that the club shop gains a few sales from them too.

The Pilbara has been my stomping ground for a very long time. Which sites were you at? (take it to a PM if we don't want to bore the rest).

6 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Fair play mate - yes, I have converted quite a few! There are a few down here who eagerly seek out our results and class themselves as BWFC fans. A few have stayed at the Whites Hotel and been to games with me when I have been over so, as you say, they can be converted. To reverse an Aussie phrase I have heard many times ("Have you had the meat pie inserted?") you can take it that I have been able to administer a few pastie barms over the years. We have a few fans around the Wollongong area now and also a few in Melbourne. Obviously most in Perth. I get regular messages from them - especially when we have had a good result. I believe that the club shop gains a few sales from them too.

The Pilbara has been my stomping ground for a very long time. Which sites were you at? (take it to a PM if we don't want to bore the rest).

PM sent

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Germany beat Spain and all 4 sides will be on 3 points - which would make it likely Germany and Spain go through unfortunately.  I'll be a Spain fan later it seems.

Aye 

So long as Germany avoid defeat today them and Spain should go through 

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

If you judge Gazza on his whole career then of course he doesnt compare to the modern players. His suspect temperament contrastimg with today's players who generally have their professionalism moulded into them as children. 

Not one other English player before or since would have even tried that goal against Scotland in 96, never mind pull it off. 

Glenn Hoddle. 

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

If you judge Gazza on his whole career then of course he doesnt compare to the modern players. His suspect temperament contrastimg with today's players who generally have their professionalism moulded into them as children. 

Not one other English player before or since would have even tried that goal against Scotland in 96, never mind pull it off. 

Matt Le Tissier. 

10 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

Frank Worthington?