Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Qatar World Cup

kent_white

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Just about to say the same. Germans probably sneak through now, but look poor and are relying on a 90 year old and the German Glenn Murray up top.

Spain proved they’re not quite as frightening as they looked when beating Costa Rica. They’re easy on the eye but lightweight and look worse than us at the back (never good seeing a centre mid as one of your starting centre backs).

Still France for me from what we’ve seen so far.

France look the team to beat

• Members
11 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

The 1966 Brazil WC team v Bolton

Superb bit of history and footage that mate. The sports master at BCGS (played for Horwich RMI) organised a trip down to watch them train - not this game. A memory which will stay with me until I peg it.

• Members
2 hours ago, gonzo said:

Still weren't great v Denmark. Just that fucker Mbappe, he could win the thing on his own.

True. Brazil look a far better overall team to me but maybe that is the hip pocket talking. Can't be arsed checking the permutation possibilities but a Brazil v France final looks like it should be the one.

• Members
6 minutes ago, Underpants said:

I will get huge satisfaction when Brazil get knocked out. A nation will be on suicide watch.

How can you not like Brazil? No one plays the game the way they do (although I do remember a dark period in their history when they tried to be 'European' with Dunga in midfield etc.).

Their sheer exuberance makes them a must watch for me.

Hopefully your huge satisfaction will come in 2030. I can see them winning this one and the next one.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, gonzo said:

None of those teams frighten me.

We'd beat the pair of them.

Depends that on how we approach it 

Gloves off and start foden then yes 

Anything cautious and defensive against either would be asking for trouble 

26 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

How can you not like Brazil? No one plays the game the way they do (although I do remember a dark period in their history when they tried to be 'European' with Dunga in midfield etc.).

Their sheer exuberance makes them a must watch for me.

Hopefully your huge satisfaction will come in 2030. I can see them winning this one and the next one.

It's because they are good. Think will come unstuck. When a nation and team are so convinced on their ability and destiny then it is bound to go o pear shape. I can see the pattern unfolding now.