Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Qatar World Cup

kent_white

26 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Does that mean 5 games a day? That's divorce material.

Possibly more as they've said tge tournament won't last any longer than it does now.

16 groups of 3 teams, each team only playing twice in the group and 2 of those 3 go through. Mint.

16 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Possibly more as they've said tge tournament won't last any longer than it does now.

16 groups of 3 teams, each team only playing twice in the group and 2 of those 3 go through. Mint.

Group of 3 and only playing twice? Sounds shit. I know they only play one more game with this format. But it hardly seems worth putting in 2 years of qualifying for it.

Edited by Underpants

20 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

I read that to lessen collusion (3 team groups and Disgrace of Gijon) they are ensuring draws don't happen so penalty shoot deciding matches drawn after 90 mins!

But did also read that 12 groups of 4 still a possibility. Which asks the question, would the next stage be a knockout round of 16 or 32. 

27 minutes ago, jayjayoghani said:

I read that to lessen collusion (3 team groups and Disgrace of Gijon) they are ensuring draws don't happen so penalty shoot deciding matches drawn after 90 mins!

But did also read that 12 groups of 4 still a possibility. Which asks the question, would the next stage be a knockout round of 16 or 32. 

12 groups of 4 sounds better. Top 2 plus 8 best 3rd place sides in knock-out.

Although I do think they should've stuck with 32 teams.

Another excellent game this morning although the draw doesn't do either team any favours other than keep them in with a chance - but great viewing for us neutrals. Loved Aboubakar's finish - almost bounced over - and it did look as if he expected to be offside which is presumably why he was so cool about it.

3 minutes ago, lobbypond said:

Dublin nor Pearce appear to not know the handball rules.

Neither do I apparently. Last year it was if the ball hits your arm below the shoulder line in the box it's a pen but then refs were back to allowing ball to hand and redefining "unnatural position". F*** knows what today's rules and interpretations thereof  are.