Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Qatar World Cup

kent_white

3 hours ago, gonzo said:

It's the right thing to do. Give the lad a rest.

We were crying out for a steady eddie in midfield on Friday to retain the ball, hence it spent all game being passed sideways across the back line.

Id be playing a back 3 and get walker in there too.

I really don't get it. 

Most like to say how shit our defence is, but want to leave us completely exposed at the back by starting all our creative players.

Edited by L/H White

• Members
1 hour ago, DazBob said:

The only consolation for that horrendous penalty decision is that cunt had already been dragged off.

How the fuck can they give a penalty for the ball inadvertently striking an arm being used to break a fall? Fuck this VAR off - the referees first instinct was correct.

• Members
2 hours ago, Alf Hartigan said:

My initial thoughts, but on seeing it on the behind angle, think the keeper may have had it.

Good strike though either way.

Possibly but I thought the keeper had been unsighted by the defender and was late diving that way anyway.

All conjecture of course. It registered which is all that matters. Great technique as you say.

England v Wales today. Should be a proper test for England at both ends of the pitch.

My faith in England is pretty low so a convincing win is needed. However...

This game should be an opportunity to rest a few and see what the unused squad players can do, but after that piss poor performance on Friday he'll probably stick with his favourites and then use exhaustion as an an excuse in the next round if we get through.

In theory though, as group A is undecided (it's going to be Netherlands, Ecuador or Senegal in the next round providing Wales don't drub us) - maybe it doesn't matter if England don't top the group? And if it doesn't matter, why not use the squad in this game and rest the likes of Kane? It's unlikely that a completely new line up would lose by 4 to wales isn't it?

We'll only know who's going to win group A a couple of hours before kick off so maybe that will determine his selection?

Either way, I'd like to see a different team start v Wales e.g. Pope (I like Pope) 3 CBs (White or Walker,  Stones, Coady) with Walker or Trent on the right and Shaw or Walker on the left to make a 5 or 3, a couple of ratters in the middle - maybe give Phillips a run out with Rice or Henderson? - and then Foden + 1 of Grealish, Mount, or Saka supplying Wilson or Rashford - probably Wilson given the opposition. Kane needs a rest.

We need to lose by four to fail to qualify and with so many subs available Southgate can always change things up if it ain't going well. And if they do OK, his favourites can have a nice rest to prepare for the R16.

5 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

England v Wales today. Should be a proper test for England at both ends of the pitch.

My faith in England is pretty low so a convincing win is needed. However...

This game should be an opportunity to rest a few and see what the unused squad players can do, but after that piss poor performance on Friday he'll probably stick with his favourites and then use exhaustion as an an excuse in the next round if we get through.

In theory though, as group A is undecided (it's going to be Netherlands, Ecuador or Senegal in the next round providing Wales don't drub us) - maybe it doesn't matter if England don't top the group? And if it doesn't matter, why not use the squad in this game and rest the likes of Kane? It's unlikely that a completely new line up would lose by 4 to wales isn't it?

We'll only know who's going to win group A a couple of hours before kick off so maybe that will determine his selection?

Either way, I'd like to see a different team start v Wales e.g. Pope (I like Pope) 3 CBs (White or Walker,  Stones, Coady) with Walker or Trent on the right and Shaw or Walker on the left to make a 5 or 3, a couple of ratters in the middle - maybe give Phillips a run out with Rice or Henderson? - and then Foden + 1 of Grealish, Mount, or Saka supplying Wilson or Rashford - probably Wilson given the opposition. Kane needs a rest.

We need to lose by four to fail to qualify and with so many subs available Southgate can always change things up if it ain't going well. And if they do OK, his favourites can have a nice rest to prepare for the R16.

Id go with that. But cant see him changing Pickford, Maguire or Kane.

Id be having 5 at the back with Walker in and Coady if he can play in a 3 on the left?

Trent and Trips wing backs.

Hendo in, Foden and Grealish in a 3ish with Kane. Like you say maybe get some mintues under Phillips belt.

We are going to need every tool in the box in the knockouts, players need minutes. 

The bench is as important as the first 11 nowadays.

Come on England. Get the job done today. Style and beautiful football can come in the knock outs for me. Any win to top this group and no messing please.

I have been nervous about this game since the draw but the dynamics of it and how Wales have to go for it now make me think we can pick them off, when they are exposed.

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

a convincing win is needed

Of course a convincing win would be nice. And I agree it will only be a convincing win that will keep the hoards of international tactical experts and Southgate haters “happy”

But in reality you only have to look back at our games against home nations in major tournaments to realistically know this is very unlikely.

In 2016 we should have lost to Wales. 1996, despite Gaza’s heroics and Seaman’s penalty save, that Scotland game was very close. And the last Euros game against them was a right durge.

So really a convincing win is very unlikely.

Whats more nailed on is a further bout of extreme criticism as we qualify for the last 16 and set ourselves up nicely for a World Cup quarter final.

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Id go with that. But cant see him changing Pickford, Maguire or Kane.

Id be having 5 at the back with Walker in and Coady if he can play in a 3 on the left?

Trent and Trips wing backs.

Hendo in, Foden and Grealish in a 3ish with Kane. Like you say maybe get some mintues under Phillips belt.

We are going to need every tool in the box in the knockouts, players need minutes. 

The bench is as important as the first 11 nowadays.

agree with most mate

shaw isn't not starting, he's by far our best option on the left

would like to see walker start if he's fit, which i think he will, if our route is france he'll be neeed to contain mbappe with his pace

mount out for foden at all costs

wales have one good player in kieffer moore, contain him at set pieces we'll be reet

On 01/03/2015 at 13:39, kent_white said:

Right - forgetting the bent bidding process and the conditions of the migrant workers building the stadiums - does anybody else agree that a Nov/Dec competition has the potential to be ace?

Firstly because it will take up most of the traditional Christmas bullshit season so we'll all be talking about football and not festivities. Secondly just for the novelty factor. And thirdly because we can see whether or not our well worn excuse about our players being tired stands up to scrutiny.

Working well so far.

As you say, the players seem to be more fresh than usual. Let’s have it in Northern winter more often.

We have to make Foden work. My only worry is there's a lot of unnecessary pressure on him now, which comes from him not being in there to begin with. I can see why Southgate made that decision against Iran, so let's see what happens next. 

Big performance needed tonight. 

Brazil and France look the best for me so far. Can't understand the debate around Brazil's team being overrated, they're clearly a class above so far. 

But once we're in the knockout round anything can happen. We'll have an underdog make it to the semis; a top dog will suffer a shock and another top team performing poorly will battle on through to the latter stages. 

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

We have to make Foden work. My only worry is there's a lot of unnecessary pressure on him now, which comes from him not being in there to begin with. I can see why Southgate made that decision against Iran, so let's see what happens next. 

Exactly. Last year Grealish was a world-beater sat on the bench, this year it's Foden.