Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Qatar World Cup

kent_white

• Members
2 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

The Germans on the wrong end of a contentious line call, is it? 😁

(I still think they'll scrape through unfortunately)

Never know what they want. Moaning about a ball not being over the line since 1966 and now moaning about one being over the line.

Auf wiedersehn pest.

Well done VAR - every image actually taken from along the line clearly shows the ball is still in play, albeit by a midge's dick.

Won't stop wankers like Souness banging on about it based only on the images taken at 30 degrees to the line though.

Overall, a fantastic day of football in possibly the best World Cup group stages I've seen - including 1966.

Senegal, USA, Australia, Morocco, Poland and Japan are already in the mix for R16Β  - wow.

Not sure if any of them will get any further but with the likes of Germany, Mexico, Belgium and Denmark having already fallen by the wayside, and a number of other usual suspects having received a bloodied nose - including France and Argentina - this World Cup is questioning the world order.

Β 

Β 

Just now, Duck Egg said:

Considering they were streets ahead of everyone else in 2014, for Germany to get knocked out at the group stage in the next 2 WCs is some decline.

Same happened to Italy after 2006. By the same measure, this means Germany won't qualify for the next 2 World Cups

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Well done VAR - every image actually taken from along the line clearly shows the ball is still in play, albeit by a midge's dick.

Won't stop wankers like Souness banging on about it based only on the images taken at 30 degrees to the line though.

Overall, a fantastic day of football in possibly the best World Cup group stages I've seen - including 1966.

Senegal, USA, Australia, Morocco, Poland and Japan are already in the mix for R16Β  - wow.

Not sure if any of them will get any further but with the likes of Germany, Mexico, Belgium and Denmark having already fallen by the wayside, and a number of other usual suspects having received a bloodied nose - including France and Argentina - this World Cup is questioning the world order.

Β 

Β 

I've given you a like as I completely agree.

Apart from Poland, they have been battered in every game, even when they beat Saudi Arabia 2-0.

But that's football I suppose.

1 minute ago, Alf Hartigan said:

I've given you a like as I completely agree.

Apart from Poland, they have been battered in every game, even when they beat Saudi Arabia 2-0.

But that's football I suppose.

That's very kind of you. I've given you a like because I like you liking my post, albeit not in a romantic way :)

The other side of the coin is it makes me wonder how England would go against a team like Japan who work their nadgers off - we certainly struggled against a very athletic USA team. I guess if you've got skilful rather than organised athletic players, the onus is on them to produce some magic every game otherwise they'll just get out-fitnessed - if that's a word.

3 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Β 

Β 

The only downside is that it could lead to an underwhelming knockout stage but fingers crossed that proves not to be the case.

1 minute ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

The only downside is that it could lead to an underwhelming knockout stage but fingers crossed that proves not to be the case.

Underwhelming in stature maybe.

But the big teams going out have been dog shit and are going our deservedly so.Β 

Β 

With Japan topping their group, Spain have moved to England's side of the draw. We already have France and there's a possibility Portugal will also join in.

It's gonna be a tough road to a final with Brazil.

Likely to be Senegal - France - Spain/Portugal - Brazil from here on in.

Still it's only 4 matches :)

Edited by Wanderlust

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

I'd say yes and no

2nd place teams are interesting enough, and you always get upsets at WCs, but looking at the teams that are finishing top, there's no surprises at all

suspect there'll be a few teams playing for extra time and penalties in the next round

11 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

Β 

Β 

I am happy with Ze Germans going out but the problem with VAR is that I have yet to see an image that proves 100 % the ball was in play.Β 
I have seen one that looks ok but just before the ball is played and another with the foot on the ball, but you need the exact split second if you are making decisions based on fractions of a millimetre. I understand the rule but a from a stunningly boring scientific point of view you have variables in there that are not set to the tiniest level you can not 100% rely on the output to be correct.Β 
Same logic applies to VAR an offside, decisions made on fractions of millimetres but the variable is when is the ball played. When it touches the foot ? When it leaves the foot ?Β 
Last night as VAR said ball was in play goal is good but I am not confident in the actual VAR process.Β 

50 minutes ago, emus wig said:

I’m not arsed either way but if that goal was given against us I would be seriously pissed off I think it’s out till the Japanese player touches the ball and drags it across the box opinions innit .

I think though it should be factual not opinions. The decision originally was 'out' is there really clear evidence to change that ?Β 

28 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Yes. From the best photo, the whole of the ball hasn't crossed the line. Goal.

Β 

FIFA have said goal line technology was used but have not provided the image from this which is strange.Β 

6 minutes ago, Ani said:

FIFA have said goal line technology was used but have not provided the image from this which is strange.Β 

Is goal line technology though not a sensor in the ball that sends a signal to the refs "watch" when the ball crosses the line