Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Qatar World Cup

kent_white

• Site Supporter
Just now, Burndens Bogs said:

Anyone any idea why theres so many of the fuckers?

There must be 35,000 Argies at that game tonight.

No one else has travelled to Qatar with anywhere near those numbers.

Must be all over the world like the Irish seem to be. Thousands of em in France 98, miles more than us 

14 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Anyone any idea why theres so many of the fuckers?

There must be 35,000 Argies at that game tonight.

No one else has travelled to Qatar with anywhere near those numbers.

It was int paper this morning, that many locals (esp foreign workers) have adopted them. Apparently few have taken to Uruguay.

• Site Supporter
46 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

Don't underestimate the Argentines. Not sure how many travelled but I’ve never been anywhere in the world where football means so much to the population. It’s a national obsession over there.

I'm with this. Any team who isn't much cop loses in the round of 16. 

Qtrs onwards could come down to a moment of magic. Messi is still quality.

Theyll be a tough nut to crack. Same with the Dutch after what I saw today. Go at them, they'll pick you off.

Gets interesting next round. Hope we are part of it

• Members

Fair play to the Australian team. I had them down not to win a single game at the WC. Other than their national propensity to resort to cheating of which we are all aware (sandpaper, underarm bowling etc.) you have to give them credit for grit and spirit.

How the fuck they got back into that game I will never know. their luck sometimes seems unbelievable - that shot must have been missing by 10-15 yards.

They say you make your own luck so maybe that explains it. They just keep going. I have not forgotten the 2003 RWC final where they should have been dead and buried three times over.

I am sure that Perth White will agree that the hope is that there would be some legacy for real football after this World Cup but, having witnessed what happened after 1974 and 2006, I won't be holding my breath. All available funding will continue to be filtered to the two great minority sports down here enabling them to keep attracting all of the best available young athletic talent and 'Soccer Bloody Soccer' (as many label it because much is shown on the 'ethnic' channel SBS) will continue having to construct a national team from Scottish and lower league English league imports.

Expecting both France and Brazil to advance. The England game has the potential be a good un.

• Members
15 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I'm with this. Any team who isn't much cop loses in the round of 16. 

Qtrs onwards could come down to a moment of magic. Messi is still quality.

Theyll be a tough nut to crack. Same with the Dutch after what I saw today. Go at them, they'll pick you off.

Gets interesting next round. Hope we are part of it

Too many jumped on the wrong train when they lost their first match. World Cup winners generally come from slow starters who build their way into the competition. Some older types may remember that England drew 0-0 with Uruguay in their first game of the 1966 tournament.

Having said all of that, it would be no surprise if the Netherlands were to knock them out.

Their support is phenomenal which is why I want to attend a match at the Bombonera one day.

Edited by bolty58

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Fair play to the Australian team. I had them down not to win a single game at the WC. Other than their national propensity to resort to cheating of which we are all aware (sandpaper, underarm bowling etc.) you have to give them credit for grit and spirit.

How the fuck they got back into that game I will never know. their luck sometimes seems unbelievable - that shot must have been missing by 10-15 yards.

They say you make your own luck so maybe that explains it. They just keep going. I have not forgotten the 2003 RWC final where they should have been dead and buried three times over.

I am sure that Perth White will agree that the hope is that there would be some legacy for real football after this World Cup but, having witnessed what happened after 1974 and 2006, I won't be holding my breath. All available funding will continue to be filtered to the two great minority sports down here enabling them to keep attracting all of the best available young athletic talent and 'Soccer Bloody Soccer' (as many label it because much is shown on the 'ethnic' channel SBS) will continue having to construct a national team from Scottish and lower league English league imports.

Expecting both France and Brazil to advance. The England game has the potential be a good un.

One thing I will say, not just with the convicts and yanks but all nations who qualify, the normal level is shifting.

The Germans look miles away but in 4 years time, the yanks will be strong. Saudi have surprised me. If the convicts pump as much in to football as they do cricket and rugby, they too could be a force - next world cup probably too soon.

It really is going to be a massive global anyone can win within 16 years

1 hour ago, Jol_BWFC said:

Don't underestimate the Argentines. Not sure how many travelled but I’ve never been anywhere in the world where football means so much to the population. It’s a national obsession over there.

Nah, where were they at other world cups? Italia ‘90, USA ‘94,France ‘98, Japan ‘02, Germany ‘06 etc? They might have took 3/4/5k, but those numbers tonight were just fucking incredible -and  almost 6000 miles from Argentina?

How did they get all the tickets?

How have they financed it?, coming from a country apparently wrapped in poverty, travelling to the most expensive World Cup host country in history?

Summats not quite right.

I smell a rat.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

• Members
1 minute ago, Biggish Dave said:

One thing I will say, not just with the convicts and yanks but all nations who qualify, the normal level is shifting.

The Germans look miles away but in 4 years time, the yanks will be strong. Saudi have surprised me. If the convicts pump as much in to football as they do cricket and rugby, they too could be a force - next world cup probably too soon.

It really is going to be a massive global anyone can win within 16 years

I am not disagreeing with you Dave but I have been hearing this since 1974 - especially in relation to African teams.

Personally I expect the next few World Cups to go to countries who have won it before. There's something about pedigree/history in international football which seems to come to the fore.

• Site Supporter
Just now, bolty58 said:

I am not disagreeing with you Dave but I have been hearing this since 1974 - especially in relation to African teams.

Personally I expect the next few World Cups to go to countries who have won it before. There's something about pedigree/history in international football which seems to come to the fore.

I'm still seeing experience count for alot in this tournament.

The longer 'lesser' countries have players in top flights of major leagues, the shorter the gap gets.

I also look at the South Americans, they used to be an unknown quantity playing for Flamengo and River Plate etc. TV and European money makes them much less of a surprise or fear.

It's changing. I'm looking forward to it

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

13 hours Rose and Monkey today watching the games, absolute session this, but I still don't quite feel this World Cup. Incredible games, mad groups, but it's not June is it

Same. Weekends I've watched most games but feels like I'm forcing myself to watch a W C rather than enjoying it

4 hours ago, bolty58 said:

I was at a friend's birthday last night and no one was talking about the match, no one seemed to be interested in watching it so maybe it has again failed to capture the public imagination here or maybe I was supping with a bunch of nerds and it was going off with excitement at the Swinging Pig, I'm not sure.

• Members
7 hours ago, L/H White said:

:D

R - don't encourage that sad twat FFS. 

Sheep - the Skippy thing is very tired and unoriginal me old son.

I think Eddie Howe is a very good young English manager - tactically more aggressive than the FA puppet. As a couple on here will be aware he's a bit of a ringer for my younger brother!

Not gone off him at all; the virtuous bullshit could easily be coached out of him - far more easily than waistcoat. If not I will switch my support to Irfan Kawri.

• Members
3 hours ago, perth_white said:

I was at a friend's birthday last night and no one was talking about the match, no one seemed to be interested in watching it so maybe it has again failed to capture the public imagination here or maybe I was supping with a bunch of nerds and it was going off with excitement at the Swinging Pig, I'm not sure.

:D It usually is going off at the Swinging Pig but not in that way! Been there when it looked like an England game away in the 80's but without the plastic furniture!

The two Aussie neighbours closest to me asked me what I thought about it this morning (they were gardening, I was adjusting the main jet of one of my steeds). Neither had watched it or intended watching a replay of it! Both AFL fans (Kangaroos and Lions) although to be fair, one of them leaves for Europe on Wednesday and is attending the Palace v Fulham game on Boxing Day. Utterly uninterested in the World Cup so I don't think it likely you were drinking with nerds - simply the way they have been brought up and influenced here. No interest in 'wogball' (they call it this because Italians, Spaniards, Greeks, Croatians, Serbs, Macedonians etc. who live here are termed 'wogs' which still makes me think WTF every time I hear it) and call AFL the greatest game in the world and RL the greatest game of all. I think it would take an actual World Cup win to have any hope of a change.

37 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

I don't think it likely you were drinking with nerds - simply the way they have been brought up and influenced here. No interest in 'wogball' (they call it this because Italians, Spaniards, Greeks, Croatians, Serbs, Macedonians etc. who live here are termed 'wogs' which still makes me think WTF every time I hear it)

Oh they're definitely nerds, they're my tribe. The 'wog' thing is something I don't think I'll ever get used to.

I don't think it football will ever win over die hard fans of the oval ball codes and unlikely to capture the imagination of the country fully until they believe Aus can compete for the trophy, lots of talk of brave efforts, etc but they're really only interested in winners.