Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Qatar World Cup

kent_white

• Members
3 hours ago, Offshore said:

Quality that. Teams will be very apprehensive about playing us. France have a great attack, so do we. Rabiot won't be able to cope with our movement up front, but I worry Stones and Maguire will be the same with the French front line. Three clean sheets says a lot.  Just waiting for lots of usual media bollox about Agincourt and Waterloo etc. We beat France, we win the world cup! 

Might be worth calming down if we do beat France. Brazil and Argentina should never be taken lightly in World Cup finals tournaments.

• Members
2 hours ago, L/H White said:

Virtue signaling manager with the only clean sheet in the last 16 so far

FFS R - calm down. Senegal were the toughest team we have played yet and weren't much. Wait until after the France game. Win that and you can blow your ever growing trumpet as much as you want to.

Very little between France and England.

Pickford ≠ Lloris - both capable good premier league level goalies, but both got a mistake in them, Lloris maybe slightly more so.

Shaw ≠ Hernandez - both played to a high level in good leagues but neither been world class at any point. Can't say I know a huge amount about Hernandez but nothing leads me to believe he is miles better or worse than Shaw.

Maguire < Upamecano - Maguire is a liability at times but also imperious in the air and seems to play much better in an England shirt than he does for his club. Not going to pretend I know much about Upamecano, but was a highly coveted young player and is a 24 yo starting CB for Bayern Munich so I think he edges it.

Stones < Varane - Think Stones is a solid CB but Varane has been there, done it and got the tshirt for club and country.

Walker > Kounde - Not sure there's many better RBs than City's first choice RB. Very dependable and has cut out most of his bullshit that he'd do at Spurs, giving away cheap penalties etc. Didn't think he was at his best vs Senegal but been out with injury, so was a good game for him to get up to speed.

Rice > Rabiot - Rabiot not a popular figure for either club or country but does seem to be doing a decent job for the Frogs. However, I think Rice's quality speaks for itself and he's one of the best DMs in the world right now. Not quite Busquets, Pirlo, Makelele or Modric level but certainly better than Rabiot, technically and mentally.

Henderson ≠ Tchouameni - Honestly not a big fan of Hendo but can't doubt his leadership qualities, experience and work rate. Klopp wouldn't have trusted him for so long if he weren't good. But Tchouameni is another highly coveted player. Went to Madrid for 80m euros in the summer. Hendo has the edge in experience but think Tchouameni is a more technical player. And not seen the latter play that much so can't really split them.

Bellingham ≠ Griezmann - A bit like Hendo vs Tchouameni. Bellingham is unreal for 19 years old but Griezmann has the experience over him and has been world class in his pomp, and some would argue he still is I think. Bellingham has a shout for player of the tournament so far with Mbappe but can't overlook Griezmann's quality. Would love to give Bellingham the edge over him but not sure I can just yet.

Saka > Dembele - Stop-start career for Dembele, tons of quality but been very injury prone and had some difficult spells at club level. Saka really coming into his own this season, so I'd give him the edge just about.

Foden ≠ Mbappe - Another really hard one to split as they're both very good at different things. Mbappe has the most explosive pace in the World Cup which makes him quite unique. But Foden is absolutely top drawer.

Kane > Giroud - Underrated though he is Giroud, Kane has the edge on him technically.

19 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Do fuck off Sheep, you are becoming as irritating as the ginger ninja.

Not joking all along - I have been an England fan all my life and want the best for the nation - just not for the current management set up who I believe to be full of their own self importance. If they are so passionate about inequalities, let's start to see documentary evidence of all the charitable donations they make from their obscenely inflated pay packets.

If England go the whole way and win it (which I very much doubt) I will be delighted for the country. If they fail, I will be waiting. You can be sure of that.

Southgate (and Bullingham) out.

No Skippy I won't fuck off.

For someone who professes to love bantz you're awfully touchy....

Plus entertaining, without meaning too.....

Cmon England...

I honestly think beating France is more achievable than beating Spain, who I expect to reach the SF. Spain's possession football will be really testing to play against for either France or England.

France and England are very similar in that we will both prioritise a solid defence and nullifying the opposition while hoping the forward players have the edge on the day. It's almost toss a coin to see who will win this.

Spain's play-style of relentlessly passing and moving is just mesmeric. I think against weaker sides who will literally sit 11 men behind the ball can be frustrating for Spain, like in the Japan game. But against England or France who will try and play more positively, that will play into Spain's hands.

Anyway, one step at a time. It's going to be fine, fine margins I think. It may finish 2-0 or 3-1 to either side but I could see Mbappe or Kane having a massive chance that either comes off the inside of the post and goes in, or rolls to safety, in what will be an excruciating highlights reel to watch for the losing side.

17 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Pickford ≠ Lloris - both capable good premier league level goalies, but both got a mistake in them, Lloris maybe slightly more so.

Shaw ≠ Hernandez - both played to a high level in good leagues but neither been world class at any point. Can't say I know a huge amount about Hernandez but nothing leads me to believe he is miles better or worse than Shaw.

Maguire < Upamecano - Maguire is a liability at times but also imperious in the air and seems to play much better in an England shirt than he does for his club. Not going to pretend I know much about Upamecano, but was a highly coveted young player and is a 24 yo starting CB for Bayern Munich so I think he edges it.

Stones < Varane - Think Stones is a solid CB but Varane has been there, done it and got the tshirt for club and country.

Walker > Kounde - Not sure there's many better RBs than City's first choice RB. Very dependable and has cut out most of his bullshit that he'd do at Spurs, giving away cheap penalties etc. Didn't think he was at his best vs Senegal but been out with injury, so was a good game for him to get up to speed.

Rice > Rabiot - Rabiot not a popular figure for either club or country but does seem to be doing a decent job for the Frogs. However, I think Rice's quality speaks for itself and he's one of the best DMs in the world right now. Not quite Busquets, Pirlo, Makelele or Modric level but certainly better than Rabiot, technically and mentally.

Henderson ≠ Tchouameni - Honestly not a big fan of Hendo but can't doubt his leadership qualities, experience and work rate. Klopp wouldn't have trusted him for so long if he weren't good. But Tchouameni is another highly coveted player. Went to Madrid for 80m euros in the summer. Hendo has the edge in experience but think Tchouameni is a more technical player. And not seen the latter play that much so can't really split them.

Bellingham ≠ Griezmann - A bit like Hendo vs Tchouameni. Bellingham is unreal for 19 years old but Griezmann has the experience over him and has been world class in his pomp, and some would argue he still is I think. Bellingham has a shout for player of the tournament so far with Mbappe but can't overlook Griezmann's quality. Would love to give Bellingham the edge over him but not sure I can just yet.

Saka > Dembele - Stop-start career for Dembele, tons of quality but been very injury prone and had some difficult spells at club level. Saka really coming into his own this season, so I'd give him the edge just about.

Foden ≠ Mbappe - Another really hard one to split as they're both very good at different things. Mbappe has the most explosive pace in the World Cup which makes him quite unique. But Foden is absolutely top drawer.

Kane > Giroud - Underrated though he is Giroud, Kane has the edge on him technically.

But the question is Mbappe v Walker, Dembele v Shaw, system v system etc...

• Members
5 hours ago, jeep said:

No Skippy I won't fuck off.

For someone who professes to love bantz you're awfully touchy....

Plus entertaining, without meaning too.....

Cmon England...

You are wrong on so many counts Sheep :D

The Skippy thing is as tired as fuck - its started when I joined which is quite a few years ago if you care to check. Everyone got bored to death with it after about 5 years but for some reason, you seem to want to resurrect it so go for your life if it floats your boat.

Always mean to be entertaining. Our dear departed Happy didn't pay me to be uncontroversial. They won't admit it but plenty can't wait for the morning to read the overnight posts from the colonies. Even the detractors. Even you. :tongue:

Perth mirth and elegant merriment ;)

Edited by bolty58

• Members
1 hour ago, Ani said:

Flag shaggers who want no politics in football not being to get fully behind the national team for political reasons is pretty funny. 

If that is addressed at me Mr Dyslexia then I have achieved my goal.

Never shagged a flag in my life but once dropped one on my foot.

• Members
4 hours ago, tomski said:

We’ve a chance against France. Lloris is the weak link. Hopefully get at him early doors and get em on the back foot.

Have to agree there. Looking at it from the French perspective, I'll bet they are salivating at the prospect of Mbappe getting at Maguire and Stones.

• Site Supporter

Imagine not wanting England to win because you’re scared of the gays.

No politics in football though, apart from when you’re supporting a Scottish team, then politics is front and centre.

No Hypocrites here, Alan.

6 hours ago, bolty58 said:

FFS R - calm down. Senegal were the toughest team we have played yet and weren't much. Wait until after the France game. Win that and you can blow your ever growing trumpet as much as you want to.

Haha. Big test next. If they didn't have Mbappe then it's a walkover. 

Win or lose, it won't be down to Southgate & all the other nonsense is what I'm getting at. 

Hope he stays on whatever happens 

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Mantra said:

Think you have to say at international level Mbappe has proved to be much better by and more accomplished than Foden  

Make no mistake about it, France will be VERY nervous about playing England on Saturday.

Whilst France have the most dangerous player in the World Cup in Mbappe, there is so much pressure on hi shoulders and they rely on him so much.  Keep him quiet and they are very manageable IMO.  

I'd say it's a flip of a coin who will go through as it stands.

Quite why there is still so much negativity from England fans is baffling.  Despite getting to a semi and a final in the last two tournaments and being the best team in the tournament thus far, all we hear is "Yes, but..."

Just enjoy the ride FFS. Miserable cunts.

Too many so called England fans want us to fail so they can say "I told you so" - How is that for self importance ffs!!

Wanting misery, so you can smile to yourself....as everyone else is gutted.

Its not enough to win a game....it has to be nailed on perfect in every aspect...even managers clothes...other teams NOT allowed to create chances or have an attack.

If thats how those people measure success....then they wont have ever ever see any success in football team they  support, and wont ever enjoy it.

Edited by Pablo

3 minutes ago, Pablo said:

Too many so called England fans want us to fail so they can say "I told you so" - How is that for self importance ffs!!

Wanting misery, so you can smile to yourself....as everyone else is gutted.

Its not enough to win a game....it has to be nailed on perfect in every aspect...even managers clothes...other teams NOT allowed to create chances or have an attack.

If thats how those people measure success....then they wont have ever ever see any success in football team they  support, and wont ever enjoy it.

well said