Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Qatar World Cup

kent_white

6 minutes ago, Sweep said:

The really good thing is we can now stop pretending we give a fuck about international football for another couple of years. It's just shite. 

World Cup is just mint. I love em all... This one's been weird but still (mainly) enjoyable. 

2 bastard years of qualifying and the nations league though is dogwank

And Dion Charles bagged against the world Cup and golden glove winner earlier in the season. 

Screenshot_20221218_183826_Facebook.jpg

Edited by stevieb

3 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Now let’s never have a winter tournament again

Now this is where I’m undecided 

The football was superb. Is it because players were playing when at the peak of fitness? Problem with a summer tournament is that some of them are absolutely knackered

Obviously what we’ve missed out on is the beer gardens, barbecues, and all the social stuff. I’ve not watched a single game away from my own telly which tbh has been a bit dull 

Suppose it depends on what you want 

• Members

Read the above posts with interest. The predictable 'horrible cunts" etc. which is exactly where we fall down.

Too 'jolly hockeysticks gentlemen'; on our fucking knees waving rainbow flags whilst Argies are removing knee caps.

Best team won. Great for Messi - Mbappe will have 2 or 3 more chances yet. Argentinian fans are the best in the world. This is not a new phenomenon. I will never forget the cauldron Estudiantes fans (and media) created when the DMB's had to go over to play in the World Club championship. The most passionate of all - football; nothing else matters.

Hopefully the puppet will be gone for 2026 and we will have a manager with the tactical nous to make the right calls in the crunch games. All well and good knowing how to get past group stages. That should never be enough for an England team.

Get Diego Simeone in. Fight fire with fire.

It's over, but that was a really enjoyable World Cup. Dramatic from Day 1, shock results, surprise performances (loved Morocco and Japan in particular) and some great games. I feel slightly sorry for Donatello scoring a hat trick in the final and losing, and somewhat gutted about knowing that England could have won it with a bit of luck but otherwise top notch entertainment.

• Members
7 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

It's over, but that was a really enjoyable World Cup. Dramatic from Day 1, shock results, surprise performances (loved Morocco and Japan in particular) and some great games. I feel slightly sorry for Donatello scoring a hat trick in the final and losing, and somewhat gutted about knowing that England could have won it with a bit of luck but otherwise top notch entertainment.

Been hearing that since the 3-2 loss to Germany at Mexico '70. It's the hope that kills you.

11 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Been hearing that since the 3-2 loss to Germany at Mexico '70. It's the hope that kills you.

True - but some years we've been nowhere near it.

On another note I'm still irritated by Sam Matterface saying Messi was "coronated" whatever that's supposed to mean. I know he meant crowned but you'd expect the BBC not to make up words when they can't remember actual ones.

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Now this is where I’m undecided 

The football was superb. Is it because players were playing when at the peak of fitness? Problem with a summer tournament is that some of them are absolutely knackered

Obviously what we’ve missed out on is the beer gardens, barbecues, and all the social stuff. I’ve not watched a single game away from my own telly which tbh has been a bit dull 

Suppose it depends on what you want 

It’s just not felt like a World Cup for me because other, more important football has been going on around it.

I’ve missed bouncing around the house listening to Fat Les because Bolton are at Shrewsbury and I’m more worried about getting there in the snow.

• Members
5 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

True - but some years we've been nowhere near it.

On another note I'm still irritated by Sam Matterface saying Messi was "coronated" whatever that's supposed to mean. I know he meant crowned but you'd expect the BBC not to make up words when they can't remember actual ones.

They don't half talk some bollocks (and not just the BBC although they are far and away the most accomplished at it).

The opinion that Messi is the greatest ever is proffered by folk of a certain generation. The four that qualify for GOAT consideration are Maradona, Messi, Pele and Ronaldo.

That is the exact order I would have them in and I'd wager that Lionel Messi would agree if pressed.